Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

How about we just let him develop as a backman before saying he could translate it forward? Key defender an infinitely easier position to play.

On Garthwaite IMO he is too undersized & slow to play key defender so no comparison to Balta for mine. Garthwaite tries his guts out but his only chance is as a 3rd tall defender and we have plenty better than him - eg Grimes/Broad/Vlastuin. H is backup only IMO. Note he is out of contract end of this year would not be surprised if he moved on if an offer came from elsewhere.

And marking as a backman is a hell of a lot easier than as a forward - no one is trying to spoil you. Jack would take 10 a game if playing in the backline.

Wanted to reply but didn't rush as am a bit over this argument which I've had before with other posters several times. Firstly, don't think I need you to 'point out' the differences between playing back and forward - have followed football a long time e.g. seeing all the great Richmond KFs from Guinane through Hart, Roach, Richo to JR8 and big Tom.
Secondly, the comment of mine that you responded to was in reply to CTT who was saying that Colonwood really "don’t need another defender as much as they desperately need a key forward. Captain USA is a spud ..."

In short, great defenders save games but great forwards win games. That's why they offer the really big $$ for KPFs along with your star mids. Your first comment presupposes that Balta is identified as absolutely a backman. Yes, for now, because we have Astbury out and Rance is gone. So, when Astbury is fit to return, are you going to drop Balta? We won the flag with the same defence last year, and without Rance.
No, if Balta continues to play well, don't think he's going out of the side - not on what he showed he could do in that match. However, that also means that when Dave is back, maybe he could be swung forward. Many leading teams are running with 3 tall forwards at present - depending on opposition and on condition that one of them at least is very mobile (Balts).

Hopefully, Jack R is returning to form and has at least 2 good years still left, but in the long run, who is going to replace him, now 31? Given I know how hard it is to play forward, we would need to be thinking of blooding someone soon just as they introduced Jack to spend his first couple of years playing next to Richo. [Also, not sure he'd currently take 10 marks down back on the likes of Hipwood, Gunston or Ratagolea. Wouldn't keep up with them]

Garthwaite is really untried as yet and, although definitely limited to being a backman, probably underestimated. He's very competitive for his size and hard running. But Balta has the requisite skills and aggressive, attacking characteristics to develop into a promising forward, who could learn off Jack while he's still around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Was more than sufficient. Didn’t lose a one in one. Another chance to learn the caper.

Reactions: 4 users
Steady game from Noah did all that was required as the lone Key Tall in the back half.

Today was a day more suited for the 3 Premiership Musketeers in Grimes Tigga and Broad.

Happy not to notice him too much today, and another game under his belt.

Reactions: 4 users
Did all that was required.

I think Norf may go with a tall forward line next week, so that will be a litmus test.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah he didn't do much wrong. Stays in.

Certainly does, tbh I cant see any reason for him to go out save for horrible form suspension or injury.

Perfect season to get him up through the gears as a Key Defender whilst he can get covered and assisted by Grimes Dave Tigga and Broad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got to a couple of contests today to make the spoil that others probably wouldn’t have made.
Develop, develop, develop. Even when Dave returns, he stays in.

Reactions: 8 users
Conditions and way game was played didn't suit but did little wrong and got to the contests he had to. Plus some nice carries.

Reactions: 1 users
Seeing something very different with Balta this year - discipline.

Spoiling where he’d used to go for mark of the year. Looking for an option rather than trying to run the length of the ground. Influencing multiple contests rather than hanging his hat on ‘flashes of brilliance’.

Sure, he’s got a long way to go, but it’s almost like he’s starting to work for a living.

Reactions: 11 users