Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Some keyboard heroes on here were quick to criticise MRJ without the full facts. See the whole footage and it is a storm in a teacup. WTF edited this? Lyon and Watson have MRJ segment 'not taking the call ' to take media misrepresentation to another level.

Reactions: 3 users
The coaches want JNR to be more offensive because his tendency or fixation has always been to sweat the man and chase and tackle rather than getting the ball himself.
Of those NT games you refer to, I watched a few of those games and except for the commentators obsessive search to call the Rioli name he never dominated a game or got many possessions, had a highlight goal here and there which was enough to put him up in lights, (he never kicked a bag), because he was Mr Magic's son.
I also watched several of his games live when playing for Scotch where they tried him both mid and forward, i were reporting even then that i was disappointed that he sweated the man and not the ball and while people on PRE were asking for us to trade away our 1st pick so we could get points to draft him i were saying he was more likely rookie material, (but that was never going to happen because of who he was).

So what is the player he is or the player he is not?

**This is what I would do in the VFL even to the detriment of wins there, play him midfield and fixate on the ball, tackles and chasing are already natural to him.
His other problem, is when he gets the ball, he doesn't really know what to do with it.......he mind looks like it's running as fast as his legs. Needs to to learn composure.

Reactions: 1 user
Pissing himself laughing whilst saying he shouldn’t laugh but then saying it’s funny! What is this guy 8 years old?
He is as likeable as a person that farts in a packed lift
Didn’t they get rid of him at SEN.

Hutchy gave him the boot???

Am I right?

I can't see MRj as a midfielder, but he could make a small forward. Which is why he needs to play forward in the VFL to learn the basics of positioning, snapping goals, reading the play etc.

He is young, he can learn, time to get some good teachers to help him.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I can't see MRj as a midfielder, but he could make a small forward. Which is why he needs to play forward in the VFL to learn the basics of positioning, snapping goals, reading the play etc.

DS
Correct. Also needs a partner in crime so he doesn’t have to do the defensive stuff alone.

Be pretty surprised if Hugo got picked tbh. Showed very little as sub.
If we refer to Maurice's kicking skills as needing work then Ralphsmith is in the same boat.
We've got to have a real focus on kicking skills on draft day from here in.
I think the selections made over the last two years (and since the intro of the stand rule), show that we have.

I want to see him trialled as a midfielder for a block of 3-4.

See ball get ball.

Watching you kid with a different lenz.

Go get ‘em.
He has played midfield time in the past at VFL level. Not sure he has the tank.

See ball get ball.

Go get ‘em.
Agree if you are talking about trying him out in vfl. Can’t agree if it’s AFL, which for almost on every occasion, has to be on merit.

DS
I think the idea of wanting him to play midfield is in the hope he can get a few kicks. Half back might be an option for the same reason. Not as a long term position, but to build confidence and get him involved- while also maybe adding a bit of flexibility for break glass occassion.

I think the idea of wanting him to play midfield is in the hope he can get a few kicks. Half back might be an option for the same reason. Not as a long term position, but to build confidence and get him involved- while also maybe adding a bit of flexibility for break glass occassion.
No chance.
Kicking skills a premium off HBF.
He’s the antithesis

Again, if he had a run off HB in the VFL, it wouldnt be as a long term switch. It would be for him to try to get a kick.
Not sure they’re prepared to drop games and potentially miss finals to assist one player finding touch in a position he has absolutely no skill set for.
On the ball would be the solution to help him get his hands on it but keep him as far away from hbf as possible.

The coaches want JNR to be more offensive because his tendency or fixation has always been to sweat the man and chase and tackle rather than getting the ball himself.
Of those NT games you refer to, I watched a few of those games and except for the commentators obsessive search to call the Rioli name he never dominated a game or got many possessions, had a highlight goal here and there which was enough to put him up in lights, (he never kicked a bag), because he was Mr Magic's son.
I also watched several of his games live when playing for Scotch where they tried him both mid and forward, i were reporting even then that i was disappointed that he sweated the man and not the ball and while people on PRE were asking for us to trade away our 1st pick so we could get points to draft him i were saying he was more likely rookie material, (but that was never going to happen because of who he was).

So what is the player he is or the player he is not?

**This is what I would do in the VFL even to the detriment of wins there, play him midfield and fixate on the ball, tackles and chasing are already natural to him.
Fair call Caesar. I suppose I am referring to what I have seen in the past where Clubs take a player who is a demonstrated type of player and decide maybe for team balance, maybe because the existing player ahead of him is better, into a different player. How often do we see a kid drafted who has spent his entire career as a forward suddenly, at the highest level of competition playing as a defender. Are there things he can still learn? Sure. But he might be a natural forward and not a defender and he was drafted on his ability to kick goals etc. If he doesn’t adapt to the new position then everyone cracks the sh-ts that he was a dud pick.

I feel MJR was in a better position at the fall of the ball in his early games than he is at present. He doesn’t seem to get close to where he needs to be if it spills at he moment. I would agree 100% with you that he waiting to see what happens before committing. Maybe he should talk to Andy Krakouer, who Richo said was the best front and centre player we had at the Tiges while he was there.

See ball get ball.

Go get ‘em.
Don't reckon he has the tank for a true midfielder.
He strikes me as a short burst player.

He has played midfield time in the past at VFL level. Not sure he has the tank.
I know, but I would just get him busting a gut then coming off once he is fatigued, rest, back on.

Maybe, just maybe the kid is a midfielder.

Build his tank over the pre season.

He came back not great, as Caesar mentioned to us numerous times.

Encourage him, tell him we are earmarking you in a different role.

Just a thought!