Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Draft profile from - https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/maurice-rioli-jnr/#:~:text=He could be a type,games with glimpses of brilliance
"Maurice...has all the familiar traits you would come to expect given his pedigree; with tenacious tackling, freakish goal sense, and eye-catching speed among his greatest assets. He also followed in the footsteps of Cyril Rioli in moving from the Tiwi Islands to board at Scotch College, though he has not been able to get on the park at school or for the Oakleigh Chargers in 2020. The small forward/midfielder did manage to impress at senior level for St Mary's though, helping his NTFL side make the 2019/20 Grand Final.
STRENGTHS:
  • Speed
  • Agility
  • Tackling
  • Defensive pressure
  • Goal sense
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Sustained impact/consistency
"...On the ball, Rioli is the type of player to pop up with moments of magic; able to shark clean possession and boot goals from improbable positions. His smarts at ground level allow him to win the ball, with his agility then setting him free, and a natural finishing acumen ensuring he takes full toll on the opposition inside forward 50."

Comment: He played well up in his home base of Tiwi Is, but could not play for his school team or the Oakleigh Chargers in 2020 due to Covid and sport cancellations. This is when he would have been 17, turning 18 so that was a critical development that he missed especially getting used to our Melbourne winter. Since he displayed the skills back then (that some don't think he possesses), like reading the ball off the pack, picking it up cleanly at ground level, kicking accurately and snapping difficult goals, then something has gone wrong in the role he's been asked to play at RFC. As someone said earlier, just let him go out and play in the VFL team as an offensive forward who can also chase when required, just like he used to in his late teens. Let's stop trying to make him a purely defensive forward because he's losing his confidence as each week goes by. Perhaps he's waiting for an oppo player to get the ball so he can chase rather than winning it himself first. He might need to play VFL for the rest of the year and that's ok with me unless he kicks bags of goals week after week but I doubt we'll see that for a while.
Is there a chance he's homesick?
That’s fine Mike

The amount of sh**ting on our own players never ceases to amaze me. I left one so called "supporters" site because of all the trolling and pathetic keyboard warriors jumping on our own and it's no different here.

It makes me wonder if you're (seriously if you're an adult and you don't know the difference by now between your and you're go back to school) fans or supporters at all or just frustrated hacks who never pulled on a boot at any level.

Yet many of you are all somehow magically experts offering advice (mostly pathetic uneducated advice that stand out like dogs balls that you have no idea what you're talking about) to kids you couldn't get near in a football sense. The Maurice stuff this week shows again what a lot of pretenders you are.

Do better.

It's in the name - supporter.
Yes I agree, everyone should get a ribbon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The amount of sh**ting on our own players never ceases to amaze me. I left one so called "supporters" site because of all the trolling and pathetic keyboard warriors jumping on our own and it's no different here.

It makes me wonder if you're (seriously if you're an adult and you don't know the difference by now between your and you're go back to school) fans or supporters at all or just frustrated hacks who never pulled on a boot at any level.

Yet many of you are all somehow magically experts offering advice (mostly pathetic uneducated advice that stand out like dogs balls that you have no idea what you're talking about) to kids you couldn't get near in a football sense. The Maurice stuff this week shows again what a lot of pretenders you are.

Do better.

It's in the name - supporter.
You can’t even spell shi#ting properly

Had his mea culpa with the Coaching staff apologised and by sounds of it is getting on with it with the teams support and encouragement.

He will learn from it.

If he was struggling and putting extra pressure on himself a run in the VFL on the ball will do him the world of good.

Well done Maurice.

Well done Tigers.

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 11 users
Lot of upside to Maurice but still has a young head on his shoulders. With maturity should emulate the deeds of his namesakes. eg I was at the game & he was not the only one out of soughts but a few efforts , just did not measure up so not surprised to see him benched.

Reactions: 1 user
Draft profile from - https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/maurice-rioli-jnr/#:~:text=He could be a type,games with glimpses of brilliance
"Maurice...has all the familiar traits you would come to expect given his pedigree; with tenacious tackling, freakish goal sense, and eye-catching speed among his greatest assets. He also followed in the footsteps of Cyril Rioli in moving from the Tiwi Islands to board at Scotch College, though he has not been able to get on the park at school or for the Oakleigh Chargers in 2020. The small forward/midfielder did manage to impress at senior level for St Mary's though, helping his NTFL side make the 2019/20 Grand Final.
STRENGTHS:
  • Speed
  • Agility
  • Tackling
  • Defensive pressure
  • Goal sense
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Sustained impact/consistency
"...On the ball, Rioli is the type of player to pop up with moments of magic; able to shark clean possession and boot goals from improbable positions. His smarts at ground level allow him to win the ball, with his agility then setting him free, and a natural finishing acumen ensuring he takes full toll on the opposition inside forward 50."

Comment: He played well up in his home base of Tiwi Is, but could not play for his school team or the Oakleigh Chargers in 2020 due to Covid and sport cancellations. This is when he would have been 17, turning 18 so that was a critical development that he missed especially getting used to our Melbourne winter. Since he displayed the skills back then (that some don't think he possesses), like reading the ball off the pack, picking it up cleanly at ground level, kicking accurately and snapping difficult goals, then something has gone wrong in the role he's been asked to play at RFC. As someone said earlier, just let him go out and play in the VFL team as an offensive forward who can also chase when required, just like he used to in his late teens. Let's stop trying to make him a purely defensive forward because he's losing his confidence as each week goes by. Perhaps he's waiting for an oppo player to get the ball so he can chase rather than winning it himself first. He might need to play VFL for the rest of the year and that's ok with me unless he kicks bags of goals week after week but I doubt we'll see that for a while.
Is there a chance he's homesick?
Good post. The footage of him playing up North before he was picked up showed what you have outlined. I thought in his early games with us, you could see this. Anticipation was good. Quick. Held his balance well. Can kick a goal and had his old man’s ability to run guys down from behind and make a tackle stick when he was oftimes smaller than the opposition player. But now. Yeah. Nah. Is not anticipating the play or the fall of the ball and is not where you would expect if the balls spills from the contest. Might be a glitch. If it is because he is being told to play differently, then I think that is a mistake. We won in 2017 because the coaching changed to play to the players strengths not to make them into something else. I think George C. (who I have been critical of in the past) is an example. I used to call George, who became a triple premiership player, when I haven’t played AFL at all, an almost footballer. But by god, he did use the forward pressure skills that he did have extremely well. I think MJ has more natural ability, by a long way, but I hope he is not being coached into a player that he is not. Yes. There are elements of your game that can be improved. Reckon that is for all players. But don’t destroy the inherent traits we are all looking for. This is merely conjecture on my part.

Reactions: 2 users
but I hope he is not being coached into a player that he is not.

The coaches want JNR to be more offensive because his tendency or fixation has always been to sweat the man and chase and tackle rather than getting the ball himself.
Of those NT games you refer to, I watched a few of those games and except for the commentators obsessive search to call the Rioli name he never dominated a game or got many possessions, had a highlight goal here and there which was enough to put him up in lights, (he never kicked a bag), because he was Mr Magic's son.
I also watched several of his games live when playing for Scotch where they tried him both mid and forward, i were reporting even then that i was disappointed that he sweated the man and not the ball and while people on PRE were asking for us to trade away our 1st pick so we could get points to draft him i were saying he was more likely rookie material, (but that was never going to happen because of who he was).

So what is the player he is or the player he is not?

**This is what I would do in the VFL even to the detriment of wins there, play him midfield and fixate on the ball, tackles and chasing are already natural to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m interested in the posts about us trying to turn him into a player that he’s not.

It could explain a lot but it does fly in the face of Hardwick’s letting the players play to their strengths ethos.

Is MRJ’s natural game transferable to the AFL or did we draft him because of who is old man was and hoped to turn him into an AFL player?

I’m interested in the posts about us trying to turn him into a player that he’s not.

It could explain a lot but it does fly in the face of Hardwick’s letting the players play to their strengths ethos.

Is MRJ’s natural game transferable to the AFL or did we draft him because of who is old man was and hoped to turn him into an AFL player?
pedigree is there Coop ... might take awhile to eek it out i suppose ...

different generation too, more distractions ...

Reactions: 1 user
I want to see him trialled as a midfielder for a block of 3-4.

See ball get ball.

Watching you kid with a different lenz.

Go get ‘em.

Reactions: 2 users