Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

They gave Maurice free rein yesterday. Given you could hear Steve Morris yell it, I'll trust that was the case. At ground level he looked good. Best I've seen him. Some good disposal, some bad, some so-so. But a fair bit was contested and in traffic so cleanliness will suffer a little. His attack on the ball and not needing to worry about corralling seemed to help/lift him.

Reactions: 3 users
Will be burning some calories too. Fingers crossed for a similar result. (y)
Whole different discussion, however if MJ does improve, no doubt he’ll get his chances , I still see Clarke and Coulthard as better small forward options , they also have the footskills to move up the ground . Anyway a positive step for MJ yesterday

They gave Maurice free rein yesterday. Given you could hear Steve Morris yell it, I'll trust that was the case. At ground level he looked good. Best I've seen him. Some good disposal, some bad, some so-so. But a fair bit was contested and in traffic so cleanliness will suffer a little. His attack on the ball and not needing to worry about corralling seemed to help/lift him.
You mustn't been too far from me @HKTigerB if you could hear Morro, i were flush in the corner of boundary fence and dividing fence where Richmond bench and the players race was. Shame I didn't spot you so you could have joined myself and @Mr Brightside.

You mustn't been too far from me @HKTigerB if you could hear Morro, i were flush in the corner of boundary fence and dividing fence where Richmond bench was and the players race was. Shame I didn't spot you so you could have joined myself and @Mr Brightside.
Came looking for you and must have missed you. Sorry mate. Ended up pretty much on the 50 meter line and was watching some things with interest.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO played well as a mid in the VFL and managed 23 disposals Must keep playing him as a mid and see how he goes
Enough with the defensive forward nonsense

IMO played well as a mid in the VFL and managed 23 disposals Must keep playing him as a mid and see how he goes
Enough with the defensive forward nonsense
I think its really about confidence, not necessarily about position. Get him involved, get him touching the ball. He's played enough games at senior level that show he has the talent required. And him being disappointed on the bench was a great sign, it shows he cares. Happy for him to keep being played in the VFL in the middle.
Permanent small forward is such a tough gig, look at the career of Stengle. A few clubs, issues off-field, in and out of the VFL/AFL/SANFL. Not many would have predicted an AA guernsey. Jnr has at least as much talent as Stengle.

He's got time on his side.

Reactions: 4 users
I thought MJ looked good against Box Hill, it was good to see him winning his own ball. Just like Dan's move to the back flank, I reckon MJ's move to the midfield might be the makings of him, especially if his late great fathers midfield instincts kick in.

Reactions: 6 users
No they absolutely were not.

That's just wrong.
With respect I have watched the replay (again). Q1 8p/2Ineffective. Q2 6p/6Ineffective!! Q3 4P/2Ineffective Q4 5P/1ineffective.
Typical MRJ game starts well then fades. 23 possessions 11 ineffective. I have not included tackle frees, which were also on the negative side.
Not wrong just not looking with rose coloured glasses.

With respect I have watched the replay (again). Q1 8p/2Ineffective. Q2 6p/6Ineffective!! Q3 4P/2Ineffective Q4 5P/1ineffective.
Typical MRJ game starts well then fades. 23 possessions 11 ineffective. I have not included tackle frees, which were also on the negative side.
Even if we take your stats as true (keep in mind, stat takers are very generous with what is considered effective), you've still shown that most of his possessions were effective.

So what you said was wrong.

No doubt Maurice is scrappy at this stage of his career, but he played an inside role on the weekend and was very creative with his use. And as you've shown, he was mostly effective.

I think its really about confidence, not necessarily about position. Get him involved, get him touching the ball. He's played enough games at senior level that show he has the talent required. And him being disappointed on the bench was a great sign, it shows he cares. Happy for him to keep being played in the VFL in the middle.
Permanent small forward is such a tough gig, look at the career of Stengle. A few clubs, issues off-field, in and out of the VFL/AFL/SANFL. Not many would have predicted an AA guernsey. Jnr has at least as much talent as Stengle.

He's got time on his side.
If MRJ had anywhere near Stengles talent, he wouldn’t be playing VFL.
Not even close, although MRJ has him for speed.

No they absolutely were not.

That's just wrong.
Only watched the first three qtrs, had to catch a train for the real stuff at the G. I'm of the same opinion as Gehring, Moju did very little effective with the pill.
Worked hard n tried a lot, but that's about it.
Thinking the best possible option for Moju's footy development is simply to play magoos for the rest of the season. Preferably on the ball and just have as much fun as possible chasing some footy around, without the heat n pressure of senior level scrutiny. Kid looks to me like he's trying way to hard to do as much as he possibly can during games and it's scrambling his thinking processes.
Needs to embrace the old KISS principle and play some games for the sheer enjoyment of footy, then put in a big pre season and start fresh next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Playing as inside mid you gotta temper efficiency

He needs to get some leather poisoning so I’m happy he got midfield minutes and got the ball a fair bit. I actually don’t think he’s that far off, he moves really well even at afl level, just needs to learn to get in more dangerous positions and put pressure on defences by being more attacking and unpredictable. That will come. Once it does his confidence will grow and he’ll start hitting more targets bc he’ll make better decisions