Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

I can't see MRJ making it as a mid. To me, we want him modelling his game on Kosi Pickett. If he can replicate Kosi's stats, he would be a key part of our forwrad line. I think he can. Kosi leads MRJ in disposals, goals, score involvements and inside 50s. We would expect that. But he also leads him in 1%er's, turnovers, intercepts and tackles. Yes, he was a first round pick but there's no reason MRJ can't get closer to Pickett's output if he studies Kosi and works hard. Here are the stats comparisons:

1689741277069.png

I can't see MRJ making it as a mid. To me, we want him modelling his game on Kosi Pickett. If he can replicate Kosi's stats, he would be a key part of our forwrad line. I think he can. Kosi leads MRJ in disposals, goals, score involvements and inside 50s. We would expect that. But he also leads him in 1%er's, turnovers, intercepts and tackles. Yes, he was a first round pick but there's no reason MRJ can't get closer to Pickett's output if he studies Kosi and works hard. Here are the stats comparisons:

View attachment 19966
I think we need an entire cleanout of the coaching and assistants for this to happen. We dont have the minds for it right now.

Kosi is such a good kick which sets him miles apart from Maurice Jnr. You never get the impression the Jnr can ever make the distance as he lacks penetration with his disapoal by foot. But lets be honest Jnr is a junk time pick and he cost us nothing.

Couldn’t believe my eyes when I finally saw the full footage of the incident today where it showed that after initially gesturing the phone away, Maric actually presents it again and this time MJR takes the call.
What disgraceful editing of media coverage to create a narrative

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Couldn’t believe my eyes when I finally saw the full footage of the incident today where it showed that after initially gesturing the phone away, Maric actually presents it again and this time MJR takes the call.
I never knew there was more footage.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is it?

And they have the gumption to carry on when people like Dusty don’t want to have a bar of them as he can see right through their facades and knows what kind of weasels most of them are.

A bunch of dilettantes masquerading as journalists.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Well that's a bit *smile* for the kid.
I hope that vision finds it's way more broadly to the public eye.
Think many of us were too quick to judge in that case.

Just as bad is that, as D85 mentioned, this sort of thing happens quite often, but they chose to single out Moju because….?

In watching the game live , that’s all they showed as well ToO.

Just terrible.

Painted MRJ in a poor light.

Can't find it anywhere. Not even on the Yokayi footy show as they were talking about it.

• Sad
Some of the comments here remind me of a quote that came from some wise person I can't recall the name of right now. It goes something along the lines of "the rubbish you walk past in the hall is the standard you're setting for your colleagues".
What are we happy to walk past?

I know the quote in a different context and generally agree with it. But you know, we won 3 flags due in no small part to our players, as acknowledged by themselves in the media, embracing who they are, revealing their vulnerability to their team mates and being unconditionally accepting of their team mates for the individuals they are. Sometimes those standards are not as clear as we first think, and that we need more context to really understand them.

Unless someone can honestly say they know different, judging Jr on that bit of footage as a snapshot of where he is at attitude wise is very harsh. He wanted to come to Tigerland, he wanted to walk in his fathers shoes. He is clearly upset in that footage and refusing to take the phone is not a great look, but that is all we know. It can be taken as being petulant, but it can also be taken as him being very disappointed in himself, in his performance as part of a team that he really wants to be part of.

The footage that has come out today, which shows this incident and then some more footage afterwards, just highlights how manipulative the media can be.

I am not trying to preach here, or tell people they are wrong, but the quote can be said about us as supporters of the Tigers.

A few weeks ago I made a couple of posts on the Tom Brown thread. I got caught up in the prevailing opinion at the time that, to paraphrase, Brown was a bust. Certainly not the first time I have done this with various players over the last 15 years or so.

But somebody quite rightly pointed out that we were being exceptionally hard on him. For some reason it resonated with me, and I had to agree. I was posting about a kid that I have never even seen based almost exclusively on the opinions of other posters. I actually felt a bit ashamed of having done that, but also concerned that maybe I was reverting to the negativity that rightly or wrongly had become almost synonymous with Tigers supporters from the late 80's through to 2016.

Now we have all seen much more of Jr than Brown for sure, so we have a much bigger body of evidence on which to make judgements, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would be lying to say I am not a little concerned about Jrs apparent lack of development given the opportunities he has been given. And if I saw the actions in that footage being repeated in similar situations a few more times moving forward, I would be very concerned.

But as I said in my earlier post, a couple of his team mates getting around him after the team song to offer him their support speaks volumes to me of Jrs attitude and what his team mates think of him. I could be wrong. Maybe the media deliberately stopped the footage there and didn't show Pickett and Broad giving Jr a few hard clips around the ears and telling him to pull his head in :), but I don't think that would be the case.

Maurice is another victim of Dimma/Mini's small forward graveyard. Other small forwards buried there are Butler, Higgins, Stengle, Stack, D.Rioli, Castagna and more recently Cumberland. Some fortunately saved their careers by requesting a move away. Charlie Cameron, Bobby Hill, Cody Weightman, Josh Rachele etc could not survive in this graveyard. The Richmond small forward is the most taxing and confusing role in the AFL. You have to clog space in our forward line and chase / apply pressure at the same time. Getting the ball and kicking goals is secondary. All while the delivery into F50 is mostly sub-standard. Maurice has been asked to do this all alone and people wonder why he got the ball only 6 times.

In 2017 we got lucky we had 3 quick, young, energetic, eager to impress up and comers Butler, Rioli and Castagna on the list and Dimma went with the small forward chaos pressure game. This was luck and a masterstroke at the same time. The 3 were able to share the load of clogging space and chasing and it brought us a flag. We struck gold and it changed the game. We had 3 eager fast small forwards and there was no kick in and stand rule at the time.

If Mini gets the job he needs to get a bit more creative in how he uses the likes of MJ, Cumberland, Coulthard, Clarke, Campbell etc before we brake them all.
Welcome back H

It was during the interview with Lauchie Neale.
Someone more technically savvy than me can probably post up a YouTube clip?
Thanks DA. Here's a still photo I took when streaming yesterday's episode. Soldo gave him a hand tap as he was speaking but as usual still looked pissed off. What a bunch of a-holes this media are.

1689774867751.png

Who was on the phone to Junior?

Mini has said it wasn’t him.
Update . Apparently it was the team manager for Auskick at the G this Saturday 22nd July enquiring about Maurice’s availability at half time