Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

As a senior coach should, remove the spotlight from his player.

But It was disrespectful behaviour in my opinion, he shouldn’t have played today or last week on form and shouldn’t play afl for the remainder of the season. Doesn’t matter if it was mini on the phone or not, you don’t behave like that. You shouldn’t disrespect any member of your club, especially when your form has been so poor.
Could always be that whoever was on the phone might have got disrespected a hell of a lot more if Moju did pick up the phone. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.
From the look on his face Moju was seriously pissed off and frustrated, whether that be at his own form, getting subbed out or probably a combo of the two. Best thing for all concerned is to let things go for a few minutes n allow the tension n anger to ease off a little, rather than risk an escalation.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Irrelevant. Dusty is a superstar, Rioli is playing for his future. But I don't think Rioli's action was a sign of immaturity, he was upset.
Maybe he should learn to find the footy, then either kick it directly to a team mate or through the two big white poles.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'd play him as a small forward in the VFL, he needs to learn how to position himself better, often seems to be in the wrong place. Needs to learn to read the game better. If he can learn these things it will help his confidence.

I may be biased, I remember his father, but I think there is something there to work with, we just need to bring it out.

DS

My feeling about the phone call incident is that anyone who never made a mistake as a 20 year old should keep posting their opinion on it.
The rest of us should STFU

Reactions: 13 users
A lot of posters treating this as akin to bumtapping the queen.
Meanwhile Bucks and our very own D85 from their first hand experience state its a common situation....
Unacceptable! Outrageous! Sinful!
Lets run him out of town

Meanwhile Merv is expecting him to behave like Trengove, Bont and Carey. Who were all clearly very talented and settled in the side at 20.
And not like 99.99% of AFL footballers at 20

We owe him a month in the twos. For his development. He's been asked to be our forward pressure in the bigs. A counter-counter-offensive operative. He's good at it but it's making it hard for him to learn how to play.

Time to let him focus on Operation Get A Kick. Pure offense.

Reactions: 12 users
I'd play him as a small forward in the VFL, he needs to learn how to position himself better, often seems to be in the wrong place. Needs to learn to read the game better. If he can learn these things it will help his confidence.

I may be biased, I remember his father, but I think there is something there to work with, we just need to bring it out.

DS
Yeah, one of the criticisms i have of him this season, is his positioning. He is not getting to where, as a small forward, the ball is likely to spill to if a mark isn’t taken. He was better at that when he first came into the side. He was more dangerous at loose ball gets and potentially tacking the defender if they got the pill first.

Reactions: 1 user
He has elite burst speed and sneaky speed. Definitely top tier / AFL trait as evidenced by stats we have seen around pressure (other than the brain chip *smile* your pants pressure stat).

Finishing skills, double grabbing or triple grabbing his first touch, and executing simple skills to teammates in space are real problematic issues that have contributed to our close losses.

Hopefully these problem areas are in the head. I do worry on the double grabbing one though as have never really seen him NOT do this.... EVER. His pace probably saves him at lower levels. @caesar would have a better view having seen him regularly at training - so if he can do it there then its really a mental thing.

Pretty sure we all want a Rioli to succeed and get into finals - good things happen.

I'm also sure with the right training you could get better at picking the ball up with one grab. Just work on that massively in the offseason.... how to position hands, how to work out how the ball will bounce, what speed do you hit the contest at, how do you work on peripheral vision and awareness and also in advance looking where your teammates are positioned before you go for the possession etc.

Reactions: 3 users