Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

I don't buy the 'he's a kid' argument. 20 y.o? There has been a few 20 y.o skippers hasn't there? No excuse for what he did.
So you saying we should make him captain?
It’s a bit left of field, but I like it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The bigger issue is his disposal, and decision-making.
Neither are AFL quality; yet.
Not sure the kicking is correctable unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users
We owe him a month in the twos. For his development. He's been asked to be our forward pressure in the bigs. A counter-counter-offensive operative. He's good at it but it's making it hard for him to learn how to play.

Time to let him focus on Operation Get A Kick. Pure offense.
And to enjoy his footy.

Reactions: 3 users
My feeling about the phone call incident is that anyone who never made a mistake as a 20 year old should keep posting their opinion on it.
The rest of us should STFU
He's a paid professional athlete. Stop making excuses for him. If he wants this to be a long career, he'd listen more.
I actually think Jr is getting it easy. Imagine if Richo or Jack had done this. Or Dusty ...off to GC17 the papers would say.

Reactions: 1 user
He's a paid professional athlete. Stop making excuses for him. If he wants this to be a long career, he'd listen more.
I actually think Jr is getting it easy. Imagine if Richo or Jack had done this. Or Dusty ...off to GC17 the papers would say.
I only made one point general which is he made a mistake and we all made mistakes when we were 20.
That’s not making excuses
He made a mistake and he and the club will deal with it.
In the end we have a 20 year old being petulant. What a surprise!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think if clubs are smart about this, the coaches will stop calling subbed players.
No call, no opportunity to snub it.

As Mini said these players are human and will be unhappy on the bench.
Cameras will be on them. So dont give the opportunity for the drama

He's good at it but it's making it hard for him to learn how to play.

And to enjoy his footy.

This is a very credible angle IMO.

I don't know the ins and outs of what we saw, but the people bagging out Jr based on some footage that was shown purely to sensationalise by the media need to think about that very point. You are likely judging him on what you see, not what you know.

It might be footage of a kid being petulant and acting against the team ethos that should be punished etc. etc.

But it could also be footage of a kid who is frustrated, upset, struggling to adjust etc. etc.

I have never played footy at a high level, but I imagine that the psychological and emotional investment required to play at AFL level must be enormous. Jr carries the added weight of following in a famous father's footsteps and family tradition. That must be really tough.

Has he been gifted games. Probably, but then I think the club would only do that if they thought he had the potential to be a player. I think that would be the same for any young player on our list. You don't think much of our club if you truely believe that Jr is only getting a game on his name.

Reactions: 6 users

I can recall Richo carrying on, captured on camera, numerous times throughout his career. Giving his fellow players a spray, remonstrating, terrible body language etc. etc.

At the time, a lot of us defended him on the grounds that at least he showed passion.

I can also recall Jack carrying on on the sidelines when he got subbed out in a game because of concussion. It was a terrible look, irrespective of the possible circumstance.

Reactions: 2 users
If he wants this to be a long career, he'd listen more.

And you know he doesn't based on the fact that he didn't take a phone call on the bench? Not much of a body of evidence, although you may know something most of us don't.

I think they way Broad and Pickett went up to him after the signing of the song speaks volumes for what his team mates think of him. If they rate him then that is good enough for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Just on the gifted games thing. He has not been gifted games. He has been promoted when not in form, when it would be better for him to develop in the twos, and asked to work like a borrowed horse, because that's what the team needed and no one else seemed capable of doing it. He hasn't been gifted games, he's been robbed of development. For the team. Little wonder if he's frustrated.

We now have Mansell and Marlion who can provide forward pressure. Go get a kick in the Magoos, Moz. Get 15, then 20. Kick a goal, then kick 3.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Maurice is another victim of Dimma/Mini's small forward graveyard. Other small forwards buried there are Butler, Higgins, Stengle, Stack, D.Rioli, Castagna and more recently Cumberland. Some fortunately saved their careers by requesting a move away. Charlie Cameron, Bobby Hill, Cody Weightman, Josh Rachele etc could not survive in this graveyard. The Richmond small forward is the most taxing and confusing role in the AFL. You have to clog space in our forward line and chase / apply pressure at the same time. Getting the ball and kicking goals is secondary. All while the delivery into F50 is mostly sub-standard. Maurice has been asked to do this all alone and people wonder why he got the ball only 6 times.

In 2017 we got lucky we had 3 quick, young, energetic, eager to impress up and comers Butler, Rioli and Castagna on the list and Dimma went with the small forward chaos pressure game. This was luck and a masterstroke at the same time. The 3 were able to share the load of clogging space and chasing and it brought us a flag. We struck gold and it changed the game. We had 3 eager fast small forwards and there was no kick in and stand rule at the time.

If Mini gets the job he needs to get a bit more creative in how he uses the likes of MJ, Cumberland, Coulthard, Clarke, Campbell etc before we brake them all.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Maurice is another victim of Dimma/Mini's small forward graveyard. Other small forwards buried there are Butler, Higgins, Stengle, Stack, D.Rioli, Castagna and more recently Cumberland. Some fortunately saved their careers by requesting a move away. Charlie Cameron, Bobby Hill, Cody Weightman, Josh Rachele etc could not survive in this graveyard. The Richmond small forward is the most taxing and confusing role in the AFL. You have to clog space in our forward line and chase / apply pressure at the same time. Getting the ball and kicking goals is secondary. All while the delivery into F50 is mostly sub-standard. Maurice has been asked to do this all alone and people wonder why he got the ball only 6 times.

In 2017 we got lucky we had 3 quick, young, energetic, eager to impress up and comers Butler, Rioli and Castagna on the list and Dimma went with the small forward chaos pressure game. This was luck and a masterstroke at the same time. The 3 were able to share the load of clogging space and chasing and it brought us a flag. We struck gold and it changed the game. We had 3 eager fast small forwards and there was no kick in and stand rule at the time.

If Mini gets the job he needs to get a bit more creative in how he uses the likes of MJ, Cumberland, Coulthard, Clarke, Campbell etc before we brake them all.
Great post Harold. Good to see you back.

sorry, this doesn't make any sense. We destroy small forwards by asking them to put pressure on and defend? All of the small forwards 'buried' were all Eddie Betts waiting to get out? Or just hard working quick 20 goal a season forwards? If its the latter, one mans 'buried' is another mans given a golden opportunity to play league footy, and in flags at that. If its the former, fair enough I suppose, but I'm not convinced they were all 35 goal a year small forwards.

We got lucky? Seriously? we won 3 flags using this Democratic Republic of Congo child labour exploitation model. 3 flags! We'll brake all our poor little small forwards if we ask them to work hard and get their hands dirty? Should we provide them all with little monogrammed pillows for when they are sitting on the bench? I can't work out what your point is.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
All I saw was a disappointed/frustrated young man expressing that fact. Our club is built on acknowledging our our faults, strengths, weaknesses etc. I'm pretty sure that Mini would have a quiet word with him & move on from there.

A small incident which has been blown out of proportion imo.

Reactions: 8 users
sorry, this doesn't make any sense. We destroy small forwards by asking them to put pressure on and defend? All of the small forwards 'buried' were all Eddie Betts waiting to get out? Or just hard working quick 20 goal a season forwards? If its the latter, one mans 'buried' is another mans given a golden opportunity to play league footy, and in flags at that. If its the former, fair enough I suppose, but I'm not convinced they were all 35 goal a year small forwards.

We got lucky? Seriously? we won 3 flags using this Democratic Republic of Congo child labour exploitation model. 3 flags! We'll brake all our poor little small forwards if we ask them to work hard and get their hands dirty? Should we provide them all with little monogrammed pillows for when they are sitting on the bench? I can't work out what your point is.
Both can be true. It's an incredibly hard role to play for a long time but the rewards of the gameplan are there for all to see.

The key is to spread the load.
TBH I think the defensive work of most of our forwards is pretty poor currently.
Maurice is carrying a lot.

Reactions: 3 users
Give him a run on the ball in the VFL, what’s to lose.

And you know he doesn't based on the fact that he didn't take a phone call on the bench? Not much of a body of evidence, although you may know something most of us don't.

I think they way Broad and Pickett went up to him after the signing of the song speaks volumes for what his team mates think of him. If they rate him then that is good enough for me.
He's performances this year have been pretty poor. I'm not the only one here who thinks he's regressed. We've gone from being excited about this bloke to thinking he's not an AFL quality player (I'm not in that camp yet).
He's been dropped, then he's been returned (I think because of fortune, not good form) and now subbed.
Maybe instead of cracking the *smile* about being subbed, he could take that phone call and listen to why he was subbed. There could have been any number of reasons why, maybe it wasn't even directly him, but he wouldn't know at that time because of the petulant behaviour.
What does that say to his team mates.
Some of the comments here remind me of a quote that came from some wise person I can't recall the name of right now. It goes something along the lines of "the rubbish you walk past in the hall is the standard you're setting for your colleagues".
What are we happy to walk past?

Reactions: 1 users