Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Mmm maybe to you Bucks? Would love to hear Dimma’s stats on this from Dimma.
And Pagain’s, Sheedy’s, Clarksons, Lethals,
Would be dealt with internally by the club. Would probably say they love his passion and move on. Just like Mini said……

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah at the time I thought what can the coach say? You played poorly? McQ was probably wanting to offer something, but his third Q was so poor, and he'd know, so what's the point?
Mini confirmed it was not him on the phone.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Maurice is 20 and still somewhat emotionally immature as many young indigenous kids are.

depending on how you measured and controlled,

I would reckon indigenous 20yo's would come out more mature than 20yo white kids?

my reason being, 20 black years is a lot harder to live than 20 white years in Australia.

like I said, depends how you define maturity.

I would argue wisdom is built by adversity

Reactions: 5 users
depending on how you measured and controlled,

I would reckon indigenous 20yo's would come out more mature than 20yo white kids?

my reason being, 20 black years is a lot harder to live than 20 white years in Australia.

like I said, depends how you define maturity.

I would argue wisdom is built by adversity
It's clear in the AFL indigenous kids take longer to mature. Very few come in ready made. They usually don't start making good progress for a few years. Stengle being an example. Hell Shai only averaged just over 8 possessions in his first two years and played just 9 games total.

It's clear in the AFL indigenous kids take longer to mature. Very few come in ready made. They usually don't start making good progress for a few years. Stengle being an example. Hell Shai only averaged just over 8 possessions in his first two years and played just 9 games total.

maybe we're talking about different things.

making the adjustment from remote rural to city is definitely harder, we agree.

but I dont know if emotional maturity is the measure in question?

will learn, will get better. Uncle Daniel will get around him. Whilst he probably crossed the line of respect and what you expect when you coach (senior or assistant) calls you, he has set a bar he is not hitting yet and is frustrated and wants to redeem himself. Its not a bad trait to have, just needs to learn from this and keep developing.
Maybe that's true for Bucks.
Think I would take more notice of Bucks AFL experience than some on here.

Reactions: 4 users
He is carrying the dual weight of being a Rioli and son of Mr Magic.
Some might say that its a different weight that he is carrying that is the problem.

But according to the stats MRJs sprint numbers were 2nd for the game- well behind DRioli's, but well ahead of anyone elses, and his repeats sprints were equal to DRioli's and well ahead of everyone elses.
He works hard.

But at some point he has to get a kick, especially everyone's favourite small forward waiting for promotion is in the VFL.

Reactions: 3 users
Some might say that its a different weight that he is carrying that is the problem.

But according to the stats MRJs sprint numbers were 2nd for the game- well behind DRioli's, but well ahead of anyone elses, and his repeats sprints were equal to DRioli's and well ahead of everyone elses.
He works hard.

But at some point he has to get a kick, especially everyone's favourite small forward waiting for promotion is in the VFL.
Yeah re that stat you need the full picture- how far is he running, and how far is he sprinting? How is his recovery?

I see he is not in the top 5 - and who knows how low down the list he is? - for either Distance at High Speed or Average Speed in Attack.
Maybe he works hard for him, but a lot of very short sprints isn’t much use on its own. Needs to be some endurance element at AFL level

D Rioli is top of the Distance at High Speed as well.

• Wow
I remember Stengel used to get a lot of criticism at both VFL and AFL level, yet he was showing a lot more then MJ is at the same stage , I still think we look at MJ differently because he is a lot of our childhood heroes son and the fact he is a Rioli.

Has time , however I see less to be encouraged about each time he plays
I’m not sure that is right Mr B. This time last year we were saying he had improved massively over 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
Geez a mountain is being made out of a molehill. He's 20, quiet, unassuming kid with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Playing the hardest role on footy these days. Why wouldn't he be upset at being dragged. He wants to play every game like every kid on the list.

Wrap your arms around him. Give him a month in the twos on the ball. He's quick thinking, elusive, very quick in bursts and just needs to build his tank. The poor kicking skill errors often come from tiredness and perhaps a lack of confidence.

Fingers crossed in two or three years we might be talking about him in the same tones as Shai or Shane Edwards, both of whom took 3 or 4 years to get going.

Too much is expected too soon. He'll get there I reckon.

Reactions: 11 users
will learn, will get better. Uncle Daniel will get around him. Whilst he probably crossed the line of respect and what you expect when you coach (senior or assistant) calls you, he has set a bar he is not hitting yet and is frustrated and wants to redeem himself. Its not a bad trait to have, just needs to learn from this and keep developing.
Actually, Maurice is Daniel's uncle. Or more correctly, Daniel's father and Maurice are first cousins.

I don't buy the 'he's a kid' argument. 20 y.o? There has been a few 20 y.o skippers hasn't there? No excuse for what he did. WOuldn't accept it in the u.14's. Will be interesting to see how they manage it
Yeah the age thing is a furphy. Only the very gifted make it without some level of maturity at that age and gifted he is not. Saying that, I'm not as outraged as some regarding his indiscretion. He was obviously upset and disappointed at his own performance. I feel he had the heat on and knew he had to perform to retain his spot.

Reactions: 4 users
Despite people with doubts, I was bullish on him entering 2022. And he didn't let me down. Improved a lot in 2022. Looked promising. He wouldn't have got a contract extension through until the end of 2024 if he wasn't. But in 2023 he's gone backwards at a rate of knots. I guess that's what you call a 1-1 draw ....at this stage.

The phone thing is minor. Big deal. He's young and disappointed. He comes from a pathway that isn't as developed and professional as what 99% of other kids come via ie. Clubs in the Coates League, Australian Academies, big local SANFL and WAFL clubs etc. etc. Yeah ok he's been at Richmond for 3 years now but again, he's still pretty raw in real terms.

The bigger issue is whether he has the talent. To that end, as a small forward, he gets to enough opportunities, and he has some speed and he can tackle, but he's just totally and utterly *** all his opportunities up this year with very poor decision making and execution by foot.

I'm hopeful that its just a mental thing, specifically that he panics and rushes things too much. But he's actually got that bad at the moment that he's reluctant a lot of the time to kick it .....and his first instinct is to just get a handball off to someone...anyone.

Anyway, 2024 will be a make or break year for him. He's gotta start making better decisions and executing better. Hopefully its a mental and maturity thing and he rebounds and this year is just a hiccup on his journey, but whatever, its all on the line for him next year.

Slow your mind down a bit MJ.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah the age thing is a furphy. Only the very gifted make it without some level of maturity at that age and gifted he is not. Saying that, I'm not as outraged as some regarding his indiscretion. He was obviously upset and disappointed at his own performance. I feel he had the heat on and knew he had to perform to retain his spot.
How long did it take Dusty to mature? Give him a break.