Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Are you suggesting MRJr didn't get criticised on this forum??
Hell no , probably unfairly at times ,Mr B included , though every single critic hopes he comes good , As I’ve said I’m just of the belief a lot of us are hanging on with hope to him because his a Rioli , Stengel was a Smith, Jones, Brown no link to a super pedigree and got written of my many very early on, too slow , to small , lazy etc , thing was he’d shown so much more , was brilliant one on one and atleast the equal of MJs greatest strength in that he was also a great tackle , MJ we all are trying to find these tiny little glimpses to cling onto . Now every body misses shots the6 should make, however MJs should be absolute bread and butter shot yesterday was with zero pressure and never looked like it , issue is thats the norm .

I must say I’m over picking out the young blokes faults , think it’s a shocking MC decision to play him in front of others , yes I understand why , however there is no doubt there would be a few lads busting there guts not getting the opportunities MJ is getting. Hopefully in 12 months I have a big fat juicy egg , with bacon, onion, cheese , capsicum and a splash of chilli egg omelette on my face

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
will learn, will get better. Uncle Daniel will get around him. Whilst he probably crossed the line of respect and what you expect when you coach (senior or assistant) calls you, he has set a bar he is not hitting yet and is frustrated and wants to redeem himself. Its not a bad trait to have, just needs to learn from this and keep developing.

Reactions: 1 user
That's pretty amazing tbh. I hadn't realised Bont in particular was so young. I dip my lid to that.
There's always exceptions to the rule I guess.

How were you at 20 Merv? Ever make a mistake?

MJ will be councilled quietly behind closed doors by our leadership but let's not hang him yeah?
Thats because Bont wasnt captain at 20. He took over in 2020, aged 25. He played in the 2016 premiership under Easton Wood at 20.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Worked a few AFL and VFL benches, the amount of times something like that happens would surprise you, and not in a good way
No surprise there D85 considering the high emotional state athletes are in , I’m unsure how so many stay calm and “ in the moment” as one minute you fighting hammer and nail next youve got a microphone in your face .

As I was never benched :)) I wouldn’t understand , however just like brain fades on the field they will always happen , however like so many things it dosent make it right . MJ made the wrong call ( pardon the pun) in highly emotional state , however imho besides form should be back in the VFL next week as that was a selfish attitude and we very much have a team first mantra

Thats because Bont wasnt captain at 20. He took over in 2020, aged 25. He played in the 2016 premiership under Easton Wood at 20.
Yea that is true. But he did Captain them at 20 as well. Not aure for how many games, but he wasn’t’the’ Captain. Still Vice probably

Yea that is true. But he did Captain them at 20 as well. Not aure for how many games, but he wasn’t’the’ Captain. Still Vice probably
Nope, was Vice captain from 2018-19 as a 23-24 year old
Carey? Or was he 21? Happy to be wrong about that, but 20 is old enough to know better
Not a great example if we're trying to prove players are mature at 20

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Im not even going to judge the young man. Getting benched and he is upset. Not sure how much good a phonecall would be for someone in this state.
You’re right about the fact the call is probably useless- but the coach would also get criticised for not engaging with him after was subbed as well.
He is playing in a team, and the coach of the team wanted to speak to him.
Hopefully he learns real quick it’s not all about him.
Imagine if Cumbo did this…!

Not sure how much good a phonecall would be for someone in this state.
Yeah at the time I thought what can the coach say? You played poorly? McQ was probably wanting to offer something, but his third Q was so poor, and he'd know, so what's the point?

Reactions: 2 users
Im not even going to judge the young man. Getting benched and he is upset. Not sure how much good a phonecall would be for someone in this state.

yeah I couldn't give a stuff about the shirty benching.

I just want tackles and goal assists.

Willie Rioli didnt play to go to Tiwi Is. for cultural business, so maybe something in that for young Maurice,

although it didnt affect Danny?

theyre not robots

Nathan Buckley said on SEN, this happens every week at every AFL club. Bad luck the camera was on him. Now Maurice had a bad game and will be dropped. Prior to being dragged he gifted a goal to Pickett, he was down on himself.However, a storm in a teacup if ever there was one. The club will deal with this without snap judgements from supporters on a footy forum.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah at the time I thought what can the coach say? You played poorly? McQ was probably wanting to offer something, but his third Q was so poor, and he'd know, so what's the point?

he may also have wanted to cool off, so he didnt say

'stick your phone up your arse *smile* *smile*'

maybe it was a mature act of professionalism?

we always speculate in the negative. were conditioned that way by the media

• Haha
Nathan Buckley said on SEN, this happens every week at every AFL club. Bad luck the camera was on him. Now Maurice had a bad game and will be dropped. Prior to being dragged he gifted a goal to Pickett, he was down on himself.However, a storm in a teacup if ever there was one. The club will deal with this without snap judgements from supporters on a footy forum.
Mmm maybe to you Bucks? Would love to hear Dimma’s stats on this from Dimma.
And Pagain’s, Sheedy’s, Clarksons, Lethals,

Mmm maybe to you Bucks? Would love to hear Dimma’s stats on this from Dimma.
And Pagain’s, Sheedy’s, Clarksons, Lethals,

Fly McCrae embraces Jordan Degoey regularly defecating on his desk,

as an authentic narrative

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Maurice is 20 and still somewhat emotionally immature as many young indigenous kids are.

He has some great attributes and will improve to be a very good player in time. He is carrying the dual weight of being a Rioli and son of Mr Magic. It's an unbearable at the moment for the kid.

All players improve at different rates - we kept Miller on the list for years when he had shown jack-*smile*.

Let's give him time and wrap our arms around him. He will be fine.

Have patience grasshopper!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Jnr is not the only young player who has regressed this season.

Cumberland, Ralphsmith & Sonsie all have gone backwards a bit.

Honestly wonder if a few just expected it to happen for them to a degree.
Or they're performing as expected from the draft number they were drafted.