Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

I just saw the footage of Rioli slapping the phone away - he who is at best an average footballer, AT BEST, behaves like an arrogant, spoilt brat. Superstars of the game respect their coaches and the jumper more than this guy.

Time, post Hardwick, for the club to reset some standards that are non negotiable.

Straight back into the 2nds being told why, and being told what he needs to do to become a half decent footballer and person who represents the RFC.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I just saw the footage of Rioli slapping the phone away - he who is at best an average footballer, AT BEST, behaves like an arrogant, spoilt brat. Superstars of the game respect their coaches and the jumper more than this guy.

Time, post Hardwick, for the club to reset some standards that are non negotiable.

Straight back into the 2nds being told why, and being told what he needs to do to become a half decent footballer and person who represents the RFC.
Correct .

Agree that it looked average and no matter who is on the other line deserves respect.
Deserves to be dropped for it

I remember Stengel used to get a lot of criticism at both VFL and AFL level, yet he was showing a lot more then MJ is at the same stage , I still think we look at MJ differently because he is a lot of our childhood heroes son and the fact he is a Rioli.

Has time , however I see less to be encouraged about each time he plays

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I remember Stengel used to get a lot of criticism at both VFL and AFL level, yet he was showing a lot more then MJ is at the same stage , I still think we look at MJ differently because he is a lot of our childhood heroes son and the fact he is a Rioli.

Has time , however I see less to be encouraged about each time he plays
Are you suggesting MRJr didn't get criticised on this forum??

Jnr is not the only young player who has regressed this season.

Cumberland, Ralphsmith & Sonsie all have gone backwards a bit.

Honestly wonder if a few just expected it to happen for them to a degree.

Reactions: 5 users
He was showing plenty at the end of last year. I’m not sure why he’s regressing but he has.
The petulance on the bench? He’s a kid. More worrying is the lack of confidence in his footy. It’s a mess.
Is it salvageable? I dunno but Mansell looked a bust last year so maybe.

Back to the VFL MJ. Show us what you’re made of & earn a recall.
I don't buy the 'he's a kid' argument. 20 y.o? There has been a few 20 y.o skippers hasn't there? No excuse for what he did. WOuldn't accept it in the u.14's. Will be interesting to see how they manage it

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Jack Trengove was 20! So was Bontempelli!
That's pretty amazing tbh. I hadn't realised Bont in particular was so young. I dip my lid to that.
There's always exceptions to the rule I guess.

How were you at 20 Merv? Ever make a mistake?

MJ will be councilled quietly behind closed doors by our leadership but let's not hang him yeah?

Reactions: 3 users
That's pretty amazing tbh. I hadn't realised Bont in particular was so young. I dip my lid to that.
There's always exceptions to the rule I guess.

How were you at 20 Merv? Ever make a mistake?

MJ will be councilled quietly behind closed doors by our leadership but let's not hang him yeah?
Yeah way too many mistakes. I agree 20 is young and MJ may be a young 20y.o as many blokes are.

As you say those Captains are amazing individuals and exceptions. I am not calling for the end of MJ, but I have never seen what he did before at the elite footy level , ever. There is always the vision of pi55ed off players still grabbing the phone in disgust.
But on reflection yes it may just be a growth thing and perhaps lack of role models and guidance as a kid to learn this stuff. Still hope and time.

Oh yeah, Cam White made Captain of Victoria cricket at 20, by Hookesy

• Wow
If you watch him jogging after his opponent on the bottom of the screen fitness and mental attitude below average . He ain’t as good as the hype
I don't think there was a lot of hype. I think on evidence shown he is a very good defensive forward.

I believe last year was his best year thus far. Maybe it's the games he has missed via injury, hasn't been able to maintain consistency. I think he has plenty to offer, may needs a little more time to develop further strengths (taking on the game and improving his goal kicking)

I don't think there was a lot of hype. I think on evidence shown he is a very good defensive forward.
Exactly. A reminder Jnr had a genuine impact last season creating the most points from turnover forced by pressure acts.
A lack of fitness could be the simple reason for the drop off.
That said it's a short lived career if you're trying to survive in the AFL off pressure alone. Especially with our gameplan.