Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

He was showing plenty at the end of last year. I’m not sure why he’s regressing but he has.
The petulance on the bench? He’s a kid. More worrying is the lack of confidence in his footy. It’s a mess.
Is it salvageable? I dunno but Mansell looked a bust last year so maybe.

Back to the VFL MJ. Show us what you’re made of & earn a recall.

Reactions: 7 users
Back to the VFL. Lucky he has a contract or he’d be delisted if it was up to me. No tricks apart from defensive pressure.

Unless he miraculously finds something, he’ll play VFL until his contract runs out. The first Rioli to not make it at AFL level.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Wonder who was trying to talk to him today

If it was mcqualter it says as much about him as Rioli

Reactions: 1 user
Selectors have brought this on and done wrong by the kid. Came into the side after a shocking performance in VFL.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely sooked it up, 10 points to broady the legend first over the to give him a pep up after the song you could see broadys care for his team mate while he was singing the song he had an eye on him. Star of a man underated leader! As to rioli he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders up in that forward line hes doing 5 other blokes jobs defenceively, and no energy on offence so he falls over his legs are gone, hes unfit came back over summer over weight and he owned that im sure this will be a wake up call he needs. He needs to be supported by the coaches through this he has talent just needs to commit to doing everything to be an elite footballer on and off the field and he will make it. Play him vfl midfield to get him around the footy and more involved and to improve his fitness for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 users
Mini says he wasn't the caller to Mozza and said he'll have to look into what happened. He understands kids sooking when subbed off as he did the same when playing. Nothing in it. Just learning lessons for Mozz. Starting to engage the dud journos.
As a senior coach should, remove the spotlight from his player.

But It was disrespectful behaviour in my opinion, he shouldn’t have played today or last week on form and shouldn’t play afl for the remainder of the season. Doesn’t matter if it was mini on the phone or not, you don’t behave like that. You shouldn’t disrespect any member of your club, especially when your form has been so poor.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Think we can safely guarantee that there's no other defensive-minded small forward in the league who haven't kicked a goal in the last 7 games. Defenders have no concerns running off him as he does no damage going the other way.
Correct

Wasn’t a great look.

Not RFC like.

I posted when it happened but wasn’t sure I saw things as they unfolded.

There has been a few instances this year with some of our young players.

What’s happened to the kid?

Is he contracted for 24? Just asking.

It’s like he is:

- fighting for a new contract.

- unsure what his role is.

- is there enough on field guidance?

- a lot of running where the ball ain’t.

- the big one for me. The pressure of being the son of a great. Maurice Rioli. Seems to be way in heavy on his young shoulders and mind.

Just a disappointing look for him & the club.
Maybe off field

• Sad
Sometimes I hope players don’t read these sites.

Moju is a Richmond player and therefore I want him to succeed, like I do all of them. He has had some good games for us, mainly in the 2nd half of last season. He’s kicked some good goals.

I don’t know if he will make it but what I do know is he is a a very young player devoid of all confidence. He has forgotten that he has to create and attack as well as defend.

Let him play in the vfl, release the shackles, play him on the ball.

Reactions: 5 users

Moju is a Richmond player and therefore I want him to succeed, like I do all of them. He has had some good games for us, mainly in the 2nd half of last season. He’s kicked some good goals.

I don’t know if he will make it but what I do know is he is a a very young player devoid of all confidence. He has forgotten that he has to create and attack as well as defend.

We all want players to succeed ( even I do )
Would love to see him hit the scoreboard each week
Problem is when your “ gifted “ games for average performances in the VFL and don’t perform in the AFL, they will cop criticism
It’s cruel to players who deserve the opportunity who play good footy in the VFL to not get a game in the AFL
We are out of the eight for a reason
The bottom 5 players each week aren’t as good as the opposition bottom 5.
We need to give the opportunity for those in the VFL to show what they have
We all know Maurice’s faults and he needs to show at VFL level that he can work on fixing them
Otherwise he will get moved on
Suggest Coulthard and Bradkye get a taste of AFL in next month along with the return of Nigel Mansell
If you can’t star in the VFL you have no hope in getting a kick in AFL
That’s Maurice’s problem !

Get him enjoying his footy again.

Every possession, every tackle, run down, goal… his team mates in the VFL are to get to him straight away if possible.

Devoid of confidence. Confusion.

Bust a gut in the midfield. Rest. Back on. Midfield. That’s it.

Give him a four week block just playing midfield.

Support . Bunker down.

Reactions: 4 users
We all want players to succeed ( even I do )
Would love to see him hit the scoreboard each week
Problem is when your “ gifted “ games for average performances in the VFL and don’t perform in the AFL, they will cop criticism
It’s cruel to players who deserve the opportunity who play good footy in the VFL to not get a game in the AFL
We are out of the eight for a reason
The bottom 5 players each week aren’t as good as the opposition bottom 5.
We need to give the opportunity for those in the VFL to show what they have
We all know Maurice’s faults and he needs to show at VFL level that he can work on fixing them
Otherwise he will get moved on
Suggest Coulthard and Bradkye get a taste of AFL in next month along with the return of Nigel Mansell
If you can’t star in the VFL you have no hope in getting a kick in AFL
That’s Maurice’s problem !
I thought I said he should play in the vfl? Must have been mistaken