Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Why is it that some get dropped to VFL to find form and are made to earn their spot back whilst others are gifted games?
Photos?
Or maybe coaches make choices based on what they think is best for the team, and for individual players?

im sure it is one of those option, but not sure which.

Reactions: 2 users
Richmond small forwards are on a hiding to nothing with our game plan. Apply pressure and form a ring inside forward 50 to trap the ball in.
No crumbing, no snapping goals off the pack, and no creativity.
We burnt Butler, Castagna and DRioli due to the unrewarding nature of the role.
MRJ and Mansell probably ideal for the roll as they don’t offer a skill set for much more

Reactions: 1 user
Richmond small forwards are on a hiding to nothing with our game plan. Apply pressure and form a ring inside forward 50 to trap the ball in.
No crumbing, no snapping goals off the pack, and no creativity.
MRJ and Mansell probably ideal for the roll as they don’t offer a skill set for much more
Pretty sure all of those burnt sausages and chops managed to kick a few goals during their time forward. Maybe you need to do a google search n find out how many premierships they were unrewarded with in that time as well.

Reactions: 1 users
So choice this week is Mansell vs MJR. Which way will match committee go? Play both? Will be interesting to see.

Personally, I am a little surprised they chose MJR over Mansell. Hope he goes well.

Butler offensive work definitely dropped off at the Tigers. Towards the end he was letting oppo take the ball before him, so he could tackle.

YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2023​
16*​
7.2​
3.6​
10.8​
1.8​
1.5​
0.7​
4.3​
0​
0.9​
0.9​
0.4​
2.2​
0.3​
2.4​
0.6​
2022​
19*​
6.7​
3.2​
9.8​
1.8​
1.0​
0.4​
4.0​
0​
0.9​
0.9​
0.8​
1.9​
0.5​
2.5​
0.1​
0.05​
2021​
22​
7.7​
3.5​
11.3​
1.9​
0.8​
0.8​
3.7​
0​
0.8​
0.9​
0.5​
2.7​
0.4​
2.5​
0.2​
2020​
19​
8.2​
2.7​
10.9​
1.9​
1.5​
0.6​
3.9​
0​
0.7​
0.8​
0.5​
2.8​
0.3​
2.0​
0.4​
0.47​
2019​
7​
6.3​
2.7​
9.0​
2.0​
0.7​
0.4​
3.9​
0​
0.6​
0.9​
0.4​
2.4​
0.3​
2.0​
0.7​
2018​
15​
7.4​
4.1​
11.5​
2.3​
1.2​
0.7​
3.3​
0​
1.0​
0.8​
0.9​
2.9​
0.2​
2.0​
0.1​
2017​
23​
6.9​
4.4​
11.3​
1.8​
1.3​
0.7​
3.6​
0​
0.9​
1.1​
0.8​
2.7​
0.5​
2.0​
0.3​
Career
121*​

Butler took a fair while to recover from that ankle syndesmosis injury. I was & remain a fan & was disappointed when he left. Just out of contract at the wrong time.
Very good player. That said we won two Premierships without him.
That he still has great relationships with many current Tigers says a fair bit about him. Be handy now that’s for sure.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of angst this week but good to see MJ get another crack this week in the seniors. Players rarely get better without continuity. Fingers crossed he finds some touch & takes his shot.
After a month off Mansell will brush off the cobwebs in the VFL & if Maurice fails to perform then I’m sure if Melee plays well he’ll come straight back in.
Most importantly our system is working better with the small forward applying pressure. A trait we highly value at Richmond. It’s in our DNA.
So long as our team is winning & players are doing what’s asked of them then I care less about individuals or stats.
Much as I hope he does well this Sunday, MJ like all others has to perform.
I think that we all tend to forget that last year we had the highest scoring forward line in the league and that was built mainly on the 2nd half of the year.
The structure we had was two key forwards in Lynch and Riewoldt, a lead up marking midsize forward in Cumberland and a small pressure forward in Moju. That was complimented by players rotating through like Edwards, Bolton and Martin( although he was out for a while) and other mids.
That’s a great structure and we have a declining Jack, an injured Lynch and Cumberland and Moju not reaching 2022 heights. Bolton has played well for most of the year but he hasn’t kicked the goals he did in 2022 and is now playing a lot of mid time.
Going forward into 2024 we obviously need a replacement for Jack and a fit Lynch but we need either Cumberland or Bauer ( or both) and we need a small forward, whether that is Moju or someone else.
It’s there for the taking for someone.

Reactions: 6 users
I think that we all tend to forget that last year we had the highest scoring forward line in the league and that was built mainly on the 2nd half of the year.
The structure we had was two key forwards in Lynch and Riewoldt, a lead up marking midsize forward in Cumberland and a small pressure forward in Moju. That was complimented by players rotating through like Edwards, Bolton and Martin( although he was out for a while) and other mids.
That’s a great structure and we have a declining Jack, an injured Lynch and Cumberland and Moju not reaching 2022 heights. Bolton has played well for most of the year but he hasn’t kicked the goals he did in 2022 and is now playing a lot of mid time.
Going forward into 2024 we obviously need a replacement for Jack and a fit Lynch but we need either Cumberland or Bauer ( or both) and we need a small forward, whether that is Moju or someone else.
It’s there for the taking for someone.
Instead this year we have mids kicking goals.
Taranto Bolton Martin Hopper Short Graham (half forward mid)
Thats a super return from the onball gang.
But highlights tye hole left by our undermanned forward line

Personally, I am a little surprised they chose MJR over Mansell. Hope he goes well.

Mansell played that Short role today, looked good, and also kicked two goals. Hadn't played for a month but I guess sent back to re-program as a small running defender who pushes up. Impressed today with his 25 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals

Reactions: 5 users
Mansell played that Short role today, looked good, and also kicked two goals. Hadn't played for a month but I guess sent back to re-program as a small running defender who pushes up. Impressed today with his 25 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals
Mansel hould have come straight in at the expense of MJ, about time for JNR to prove his worth

Mansel hould have come straight in at the expense of MJ, about time for JNR to prove his worth

I guess the match committee looking more at Mansell to play the short role and from what I saw today was playing more back and pushing up forward, played really well and is likely to come back next week v Hawks.
For MoJo he is playing that pressure forward role which has helped keep the ball in our forward 50. Obviously, the match committee value this as the ball had been coming out way too easily in prior games.

After watching Mansell live today at Southport
I am gobsmacked he ain’t going playing tomorrow
Totally gobsmacked

After watching Mansell live today at Southport
I am gobsmacked he ain’t going playing tomorrow
Totally gobsmacked
Nigel's been fringe at senior level and after four weeks without a game it's no surprise he was put into the magoos to have a run and get some touch before selecting him back at senior level.
Had himself a bloody good game, albeit at magoos level so he'd be knocking hard on the door to get his senior spot back. It's now up to Moju to pull his finger out and have more impact than just chasing arse if he wants to keep the senior spot ahead of Nigel.

Nigel's been fringe at senior level and after four weeks without a game it's no surprise he was put into the magoos to have a run and get some touch before selecting him back at senior level.
Had himself a bloody good game, albeit at magoos level so he'd be knocking hard on the door to get his senior spot back. It's now up to Moju to pull his finger out and have more impact than just chasing arse if he wants to keep the senior spot ahead of Nigel.
Reckon Mj might kick a bag tomorrow. Mini might’ve told him ‘tomorrow your mission is to kick goals ‘

Get on the beers and champagne ( French bottle ) if he snags a goal today