Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Agitator? The way the guys carrying on its more like a vendetta!

Given that it's all just online huff and puff, WT, it's the same thing. Who gives a *smile* what Stig thinks or what I think?

The substance is more interesting. What readily available numbers support the MoJu case?

Reactions: 3 users
The available to the public stats don't readily demonstrate MoJu's value, do they, RE?

Leaving aside Mini we know that Dimma measures everything. He's a control freak and all control freaks are measurement freaks. Mini uses the same numbers. RFC does not publish them. RFC has numbers.

For example, let's look at F50 pressure act leading to turnover. Anybody measuring that? CD would. How about D50 oppo turnover when MoJu plays vs when he doesn't? The myth of him is enough to rush defenders. CD would have that number.

Numbers available to fans? It's a challenge to demonstrate Jr's value using the ones on the front page. Oldster has put together some numbers from the less read pages. They at least give us a guide.

Mr Stig is entitled to be an agitator. It's a bit of a challenge to find numbers that demonstrate MoJu's value., much as we might think we can see it clearly on the park.
100% agree Richmond would be measuring them. I still think others are super difficult to measure - I know in some games where MRJ has been playing I’ve seen oppo players rush their kicks just because they can’t see him and he may be 50m away.

Until the brain chips are in we aren’t going to see the amygdala shitting itself per possession per MRJ minute stat.

100% agree Richmond would be measuring them. I still think others are super difficult to measure - I know in some games where MRJ has been playing I’ve seen oppo players rush their kicks just because they can’t see him and he may be 50m away.

Until the brain chips are in we aren’t going to see the amygdala shitting itself per possession per MRJ minute stat.
We need in game MRI tech. And now. That's a heat map.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Given that it's all just online huff and puff, WT, it's the same thing. Who gives a *smile* what Stig thinks or what I think?

The substance is more interesting. What readily available numbers support the MoJu case?
Probably none. This statement says it all really
“People sort of sit there and look at SuperCoach points; kicks, marks, handballs, well Richmond's not really about that," Hardwick said.

"They're about a system that gives them an opportunity to play, or a way to play the game that'll give them wins, and by those players playing those positions, will allow other players to flourish and succeed."

Probably none. This statement says it all really
“People sort of sit there and look at SuperCoach points; kicks, marks, handballs, well Richmond's not really about that," Hardwick said.

"They're about a system that gives them an opportunity to play, or a way to play the game that'll give them wins, and by those players playing those positions, will allow other players to flourish and succeed."
System is working fine isn’t it ?
12th on the ladder you would assume the system isn’t working to well

Reading this thread is fun

Moju was coming along nicely. 2021 he was a baby, a couple of cameos. In 2022 he improved a lot and I was looking forward to that upward curve continuing.

It hasn’t happened and it’s speculation as to why. I tend to think that it could be largely in his head. He is so intent on chasing and harassing that he has lost the instinct to attack as well. I’ve noticed a few times this year when he has had chances to go for goal he tried to give it off instead, like he was so focused on doing the team thing rather than take the opportunity himself.

I reckon what he needs is to be sent back to vfl and played largely on ball and told to go out and play and let’s see what he has got.

He is 20 years old, maybe he needs to remember what it’s like to just go out and get a kick. Maybe he won’t make it but I just feel we have created a defensive mindset in him that dominates everything he does on the field.

Let’s remember that in the latter half of last year we were playing probably the best footy we have played since 2020. We had a really balanced forward line that included Lynch, riewoldt, Rioli and Cumberland.

Reactions: 8 users
Umm, you get to see the whole ground when you are actually at the game. Judging it by what you see on TV is just ridiculous as you never get to see what’s unfolding ahead or behind the play. Given this, I do respect what you’re saying as you’re making a call on TV viewing, which is a folly imo

Good luck trying to discuss rationally with that nutter, he lacks foresight and cant except that we all have different opinions on certain players. You can put out all the attributes that MRJ possesses but he won't care, constantly bags him out and I had enough and just blocked him.

I agree at the ground you see much more, who is running where, MoJo worked his ass off to mind his man, space. He is putting himself in the right spots and has missed a few but if he keeps at it the goals will come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’d be interested in seeing the “stats” I.e tackles and goals of MJ compared to Butler , Georgie, Higgins and DRioli when they played the similar role at Punt rd ?
Well we all know that Sausage ended up barely being able to get a kick in our forward half and we had to turn him into a back flanker to resurrect his career.

Small forward can often be a career graveyard, there's usually only a handful of opportunities per game to hit the scoreboard, a goal per game season average is pretty good anything over 1.5 average is exceptional. The job definitely hasn't been made any easier by the Lynch man being out for most of the year and Jaaack being double teamed.
While we're thinking about it, just take a moment to consider the quality players in absolute peak condition we had bringing the ball forward a few years back when we had our amazing pinata of smalls buzzing around and compare it to what we have now. There is a difference.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck trying to discuss rationally with that nutter, he lacks foresight and cant except that we all have different opinions on certain players. You can put out all the attributes that MRJ possesses but he won't care, constantly bags him out and I had enough and just blocked him.

I agree at the ground you see much more, who is running where, MoJo worked his ass off to mind his man, space. He is putting himself in the right spots and has missed a few but if he keeps at it the goals will come.
Blocked . Good for you
Missed a few ? Kicking is terrible ( 25% efficiency)
Take away the player for minute and let’s look at the team as a whole
We are 12th on the ladder
Irrelevant of who is playing or isn’t playing
, the team is only as good as the bottom 5 players who run out each and every week
Jack R was the only tall forward we had in 2017 , but the small forwards found a way to hit the scoreboard . ( Butler 30 goals ,Castagna 26goals ) . Problem RFC have at the moment is the bottom 5 players each and every week aren’t as good as the opposition bottom 5 they play against . Whether they improve enough to a level that is acceptable who knows . But as a team we are clearly not where we should be .You cannot carry players when you lose games . I hope Rioli makes it , but his output this year isn’t where it should be . If you think different , that’s fine
On a different note . We let Narkel slip through in preseason . Maybe we should have picked him up pre season as many track watches observed ! Looks good so far at Port

Well we all know that Sausage ended up barely being able to get a kick in our forward half and we had to turn him into a back flanker to resurrect his career.

Small forward can often be a career graveyard, there's usually only a handful of opportunities per game to hit the scoreboard, a goal per game season average is pretty good anything over 1.5 average is exceptional. The job definitely hasn't been made any easier by the Lynch man being out for most of the year and Jaaack being double teamed.
While we're thinking about it, just take a moment to consider the quality players in absolute peak condition we had bringing the ball forward a few years back when we had our amazing pinata of smalls buzzing around and compare it to what we have now. There is a difference.
It’s a good point re opportunities, shows how important it is to get in the right spot to crumb , be clean and kick goals not points

• Love
Reading this thread is fun

Moju was coming along nicely. 2021 he was a baby, a couple of cameos. In 2022 he improved a lot and I was looking forward to that upward curve continuing.

It hasn’t happened and it’s speculation as to why. I tend to think that it could be largely in his head. He is so intent on chasing and harassing that he has lost the instinct to attack as well. I’ve noticed a few times this year when he has had chances to go for goal he tried to give it off instead, like he was so focused on doing the team thing rather than take the opportunity himself.

I reckon what he needs is to be sent back to vfl and played largely on ball and told to go out and play and let’s see what he has got.

He is 20 years old, maybe he needs to remember what it’s like to just go out and get a kick. Maybe he won’t make it but I just feel we have created a defensive mindset in him that dominates everything he does on the field.

Let’s remember that in the latter half of last year we were playing probably the best footy we have played since 2020. We had a really balanced forward line that included Lynch, riewoldt, Rioli and Cumberland.
Great post, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Blocked . Good for you
, the team is only as good as the bottom 5 players who run out each and every week
Jack R was the only tall forward we had in 2017 , but the small forwards found a way to hit the scoreboard . ( Butler 30 goals ,Castagna 26goals ) . Problem RFC have at the moment is the bottom 5 players each and every week aren’t as good as the opposition bottom 5 they play against . Whether they improve enough to a level that is acceptable who knows . But as a team we are clearly not where we should be .You cannot carry players when you lose games . I hope Rioli makes it , but his output this year isn’t where it should be . If you think different , that’s fine
On a different note . We let Narkel slip through in preseason . Maybe we should have picked him up pre season as many track watches observed ! Looks good so far at PortNow is a fair and reasonable post.
Blocked . Good for you
On a different note . We let Narkel slip through in preseason . Maybe we should have picked him up pre season as many track watches observed ! Looks good so far at Port
Now this is a more fair and reasonable post (not that I liked it that much it’s come up twice but *smile* if I know why).

A lot of angst this week but good to see MJ get another crack this week in the seniors. Players rarely get better without continuity. Fingers crossed he finds some touch & takes his shot.
After a month off Mansell will brush off the cobwebs in the VFL & if Maurice fails to perform then I’m sure if Melee plays well he’ll come straight back in.
Most importantly our system is working better with the small forward applying pressure. A trait we highly value at Richmond. It’s in our DNA.
So long as our team is winning & players are doing what’s asked of them then I care less about individuals or stats.
Much as I hope he does well this Sunday, MJ like all others has to perform.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm happy for Moju to get this week and next against the Dorx to get some flow and form.

Coulthard is the lad I wanna see at AFL level I reckon he can bring something, and along with Moju might bring the energy to the forward 50 the side is lacking.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy for Moju to get this week and next against the Dorx to get some flow and form.

Coulthard is the lad I wanna see at AFL level I reckon he can bring something, and along with Moju might bring the energy to the forward 50 the side is lacking.
Why is it that some get dropped to VFL to find form and are made to earn their spot back whilst others are gifted games?

Why is it that some get dropped to VFL to find form and are made to earn their spot back whilst others are gifted games?

Irrespective of the debate about whether he should be getting a game or not, if MJ plays in this game it is clearly a case of horses for courses. We need as much pace as we can muster in the front half to exploit the Eagles woeful run from defence.

Because sometimes when everything else is turning to *smile*, there's nothing left but head down n arse up effort.

You can have a bloke with plenty of talent who sort of tries hard when everything is in his favour. Or you can have a bloke with maybe some talent who busts his arse, no matter what, all game long trying to do the best he can to help his team mates.
Take your pick.