Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Oh dear
You poor thing
Reckon he might be your favourite player
Interesting I watched the National Under 16s games all last week
Every club was present as were all player managers
What was of interest was the kicking skills of these players whether it was accuracy and distance which unfortunately MRJ as neither at 25% accuracy , and regularly misses targets , but you go on and on about forward pressure
That’s ok
You are entitled to your opinion. , as I am mine
I say the kid has gone backwards since last year for a number of reasons
His clearly isn’t as fit enough and by the looks of it his weight has increased.
His skills are very average as he regularly misses targets
Now it doesn’t matter if you’re there in real life or watch a tape , why ?
As everything is reviewed by tapes
Players get edited highlights and lowlights of each and every games
Suggest you wear your glasses next time you sit in the MCC as you are clearly visually impaired
I will send you an OPSM gift card champ
Cheers
Umm, you get to see the whole ground when you are actually at the game. Judging it by what you see on TV is just ridiculous as you never get to see what’s unfolding ahead or behind the play. Given this, I do respect what you’re saying as you’re making a call on TV viewing, which is a folly imo

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Umm, you get to see the whole ground when you are actually at the game. Judging it by what you see on TV is just ridiculous as you never get to see what’s unfolding ahead or behind the play. Given this, I do respect what you’re saying as you’re making a call on TV viewing, which is a folly imo

Perfectly said. Its why I love being at the game and will usually watch the game back on TV as there will be things much closer to the packs that I will have missed at the game, but you see the game unfold on TV.

Its why you see some comments in the game thread like "why didn't thy complete moving it forward, slowing it down is stopping our scoring etc", yet when at the ground you can clearly see that a lot of those times, there is no-one forward of the ball etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Summary:

He does cause some very high quality turnovers that result in scoring shots
He does create inferred pressure where you can literally see the opposition *smile* their pants / and rush their disposal
His skills are poor - often two/three grabs, kicks are chippy and or misdirected and misses too many shots at goal.

It’s tough to weigh up because we can see the recordable stats which are very poor but I reckon Richmond has to be the first team to 100% embrace the non-recordable (at least for now) stats.

We don’t have anyone else that creates near the level of pressure MRJ does in the forward line but he is also a fumbly butcher at the moment. Mansell and Cumberland probably the next best but a long way behind.

It is much easier to see this effect at the ground. It’s very difficult on the TV.

If we can get someone with some more skills who can apply pressure too (say a butler type) it will make a huge difference. Hopefully mrj can grow here and/or coulthard can do this.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh dear
You poor thing
Reckon he might be your favourite player
Interesting I watched the National Under 16s games all last week
Every club was present as were all player managers
What was of interest was the kicking skills of these players whether it was accuracy and distance which unfortunately MRJ as neither at 25% accuracy , and regularly misses targets , but you go on and on about forward pressure
That’s ok
You are entitled to your opinion. , as I am mine
I say the kid has gone backwards since last year for a number of reasons
His clearly isn’t as fit enough and by the looks of it his weight has increased.
His skills are very average as he regularly misses targets
Now it doesn’t matter if you’re there in real life or watch a tape , why ?
As everything is reviewed by tapes
Players get edited highlights and lowlights of each and every games
Suggest you wear your glasses next time you sit in the MCC as you are clearly visually impaired
I will send you an OPSM gift card champ
Cheers

Dude, how about stop the personal insults and actually realise that other people see more of the game than you.

I once had a similar attitude to you around Pickett when we were in the hubs. Ezy was very defensive of Pickett through those times but all I saw on the TV didn't match up. It was only when games came back to Melbourne and I could see him live that I could see what Ezy was raving about and how I was very very wrong with what I'd seen on TV>

Funny that you talk about glasses etc, yet you see only a myopic view of the game from watching on TV (I'll let that irony sink in on you).

There is no doubt that MRJ has gone backwards from last year (and I said that in my previous post), but contrary to your belief this is a TEAM GAME and ultimately its whats best for the TEAM that I'm looking for and I believe when we play MRJ the TEAM plays better and with a lot more balance across the field, but its ok, sit back in your armchair with your cup of cocoa and post whatever you want on the internet (see others can post little jibes back too).

Reactions: 5 users
Dude, how about stop the personal insults and actually realise that other people see more of the game than you.

I once had a similar attitude to you around Pickett when we were in the hubs. Ezy was very defensive of Pickett through those times but all I saw on the TV didn't match up. It was only when games came back to Melbourne and I could see him live that I could see what Ezy was raving about and how I was very very wrong with what I'd seen on TV>

Funny that you talk about glasses etc, yet you see only a myopic view of the game from watching on TV (I'll let that irony sink in on you).

There is no doubt that MRJ has gone backwards from last year (and I said that in my previous post), but contrary to your belief this is a TEAM GAME and ultimately its whats best for the TEAM that I'm looking for and I believe when we play MRJ the TEAM plays better and with a lot more balance across the field, but its ok, sit back in your armchair with your cup of cocoa and post whatever you want on the internet (see others can post little jibes back too).
You can’t even get anything right
It wasn’t Pickett in the hub who had the issues Dude
It was Sydney Stack where I was 100% “ Dude “
Suggest you learn to use the search function “
If only you knew “ Dude “

Last edited:
You can’t even get anything right
It wasn’t Pickett in the hub who had the issues Dude
It was Sydney Stack where I was 100% “ Dude “
Suggest you learn to use the search function before have a go “ Dude “
If only you knew “ Dude “
Dude, I'm sure everyone remembered your view on Stack, cos like now with MRJr, you repeated it over and over again.
But Poshie is talking about his own view of Pickett, not yours.

Reactions: 1 user
I think us Brightsiders look at MJ differently because he is a Rioli , not a Smith ,Woods , Jones or Nicklaus

I’d be interested in seeing the “stats” I.e tackles and goals of MJ compared to Butler , Georgie, Higgins and DRioli when they played the similar role at Punt rd ?

Right now our defensively minded small forward options are:

M Rioli
D Rioli
Mansell
Coulthard

D Rioli the best of this lot, but has been moved to the running half back role with great effect

Coulthard probably not ready yet.

So choice this week is Mansell vs MJR. Which way will match committee go? Play both? Will be interesting to see.

I too have eyes and although STIG is OTT he is basically right. MRJ on current form is a liability. Can't knock his effort and commitment but is not playing up to AFL standard. Bauer, Cumberland and Mansell ahead of him and I would give Coulthard a try.

Bakes is playing forward quite a bit, Mansell is now playing forward, Clarke's best position (at the moment) is as a forward, Coulthart is learning the ropes and looking promising, and there's Cumberland too.

Dad, Maurice is one of my all time favourite Tigers, Junior is still only 20, I'd love for him to have a long career with us, but there's a bit of competition for spots.
MJ is contracted until 2024, he didn't come back in the best of condition for pre-season training, it would be prudent for him to come back in good nick for next pre season.

It’s tough to weigh up because we can see the recordable stats which are very poor but I reckon Richmond has to be the first team to 100% embrace the non-recordable (at least for now) stats.

The available to the public stats don't readily demonstrate MoJu's value, do they, RE?

Leaving aside Mini we know that Dimma measures everything. He's a control freak and all control freaks are measurement freaks. Mini uses the same numbers. RFC does not publish them. RFC has numbers.

For example, let's look at F50 pressure act leading to turnover. Anybody measuring that? CD would. How about D50 oppo turnover when MoJu plays vs when he doesn't? The myth of him is enough to rush defenders. CD would have that number.

Numbers available to fans? It's a challenge to demonstrate Jr's value using the ones on the front page. Oldster has put together some numbers from the less read pages. They at least give us a guide.

Mr Stig is entitled to be an agitator. It's a bit of a challenge to find numbers that demonstrate MoJu's value., much as we might think we can see it clearly on the park.

Reactions: 4 users
The available to the public stats don't readily demonstrate MoJu's value, do they, RE?

Leaving aside Mini we know that Dimma measures everything. He's a control freak and all control freaks are measurement freaks. Mini uses the same numbers. RFC does not publish them. RFC has numbers.

For example, let's look at F50 pressure act leading to turnover. Anybody measuring that? CD would. How about D50 oppo turnover when MoJu plays vs when he doesn't? The myth of him is enough to rush defenders. CD would have that number.

Numbers available to fans? It's a challenge to demonstrate Jr's value using the ones on the front page. Oldster has put together some numbers from the less read pages. They at least give us a guide.

Mr Stig is entitled to be an agitator. It's a bit of a challenge to find numbers that demonstrate MoJu's value., much as we might think we can see it clearly on the park.
Agitator? The way the guys carrying on its more like a vendetta!