Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Nobody’s going to give him credit for reducing Blakeys run? Swans turnovers, smothers, pressure acts?
Just talk kicks, marks & handballs..I guess.

MJ may or may not make it but he does have a unique skill set.
The club will have its own KPIs that it will want from Maurice in the role. If he’s dropped for a better option in that role then so be it but to say he’s useless is ridiculous.

Bottom line is we won the game. Fact.
Talking kicks marks handballs ignores the situation that the bad guys will get the ball at some stage during the game.
Somehow they are good enough to get some kicks and handballs themselves.
Having a plan to make it hard for them is not a bad idea

Reactions: 1 user
Talking kicks marks handballs ignores the situation that the bad guys will get the ball at some stage during the game.
Somehow they are good enough to get some kicks and handballs themselves.
Having a plan to make it hard for them is not a bad idea
Well according to the data, N Blakey had his least effective game for the year against us with a season high 7 clangers.
Now I'm not stupid enough to put that all down to MJs inclusion but Mini will have known Blakey has been a weapon for them all season & from what I could see MJ was shadowing him for a lot of the night. Again though the club will know best just how effective he was in the role.

Reactions: 3 users
Well according to the data, N Blakey had his least effective game for the year against us with a season high 7 clangers.
Now I'm not stupid enough to put that all down to MJs inclusion but Mini will have known Blakey has been a weapon for them all season & from what I could see MJ was shadowing him for a lot of the night. Again though the club will know best just how effective he was in the role.

Yeah Blakey was horrible on thursday. Not running or charging at all.
At times I saw us guarding the 1-2 and stopping his movement. Smart coaching

Nobody’s going to give him credit for reducing Blakeys run? Swans turnovers, smothers, pressure acts?
Just talk kicks, marks & handballs..I guess.

MJ may or may not make it but he does have a unique skill set.
The club will have its own KPIs that it will want from Maurice in the role. If he’s dropped for a better option in that role then so be it but to say he’s useless is ridiculous.

Bottom line is we won the game. Fact.
That’s an interesting take
Both Florent ( 30 disposals ) and Blakey ( 20 disposals) where “ minding “ Rioli ( 8 disposals)
Florent was easily Swans 2nd best player on the night
I must of been watching a different game then

I get the argument he doesn't kick goals, or do enough to help us score, but surely even Rioli's knockers can acknowledge his defensive pressure is way better than anyone else we have up front?
Tell you why he is always chasing
He never gets to the drop of the ball
Horrible at reading the game
Thus never wins a possession in dispute
Zero affective in the air
And has issues with kicking
I hope he kicks 4 goals each week , but reality is he won’t until or if he can fix his issues
When was the last time he kicked a goal from winning a ball in dispute or a 50/50 contest
Hopefully Mansell back this week

2nd year blues.
Could it be a hubris/ego thing with the young fellas? Didnt work hard enough
Or the side is struggling so they arent connecting and so getting to wrong spots, not in sync? As a team we are misfiring in many games.

I'm just guessing so dont want to sledge these kids. Think all 3 will bounce back.
I certainly hope so.
Mansell had a poor year last year (2nd) & only played 2 snr games.
At 23 yrs old this year he really had to make it count. Credit too him that he's taken his opportunity & played some good footy.
Jack Ross also has had some years in the wilderness.

Hopefully it is a case of these youngsters just having a year of tough love too & all of them take the next step. We sure need them to.

Maybe you were seeing as you keep banging on relentlessly that MJ can't mark over his head..this from the other night. Fact. ;)

View attachment 19900
One mark . Wow ! FACT !
In front of Florent who had 30 possessions
Richmond are 12th on the ladder and 12th for “ points for “ FACT !!
This is a huge concern at Punt Rd to get the offensive side of the game improved
Chat about the next time he kicks multiple goals in a game when winning the ball in dispute. ( Castagna kicked plenty of goals by winning his own ball and also applied pressure . As did Butler )
There is a reason why we are actually 12th on the ladder
Let’s give players game who aren’t really up to
I could beat him over a 5k run
Seriously stop falling in love with players
It’s a team sport
Let’s love Richmond
Cheers

Last edited:
One mark . Wow !
Richmond are 12th on the ladder and 12th for “ points for “
This is a huge concern at Punt Rd to get the offensive side of the game improved
The image of MJ marking isn’t to prove he’s a brilliant overhead mark, it’s just to show that your opinions on the game aren’t as factual as you like to relentlessly tell everyone.

It’s a team sport
Let’s love Richmond
Cheers

I'm fine with that & I certainly won't defend everything MJ does. He has plenty of weaknesses. He also has strength too which I can recognise.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s an interesting take
Both Florent ( 30 disposals ) and Blakey ( 20 disposals) where “ minding “ Rioli ( 8 disposals)
Florent was easily Swans 2nd best player on the night
I must of been watching a different game then
Nah, your just a Rioli hater Stig. You want him gone, clear as day. See nothing positive in him aside from a slight acknowledgment that his pressuring and tackling is ok. I’m fortunate enough to be able to watch the games from level 2 in the MCC members area, and he runs hard and does a lot of unrewarded work. He 100% adds to our side.
He’s never going to be a star imo, but he performs a valued function in the side. Our ability to pressure and stop easy exits from F50 was horrendous against the Lions. I think we desperately need two small pressure forwards. Two out of Rioli, Coulthard and Mansell should always be in the side imo

Last edited:
I have no issue if Mansell replaces him if they think he can do the fwd pressure role better currently. MJ is also finding his way back from a hamstring.

What I won't cop is the relentless sledging that Jnr can't play.
He was one of the most exciting kids on our list at the end of 2022 (below are his last 4 games of the season). They are good by any measure.

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFABL
Elimination Final​
Sep 1​
7​
5​
12​
4​
1​
1​
4​
0​
1​
3​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
Round 23​
Aug 20​
8​
3​
11​
4​
1​
0​
4​
0​
0​
2​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
Round 22​
Aug 14​
10​
2​
12​
3​
2​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
1​
5​
0​
2​
1​
Round 21​
Aug 6​
5​
7​
12​
1​
1​
1​
6​
0​
0​
4​
0​
6​
0​
1​
2​

Noah Cumberland & Tyler Sonsie were exciting too. .All these kids have stagnated or gone backwards & confidence seems down.

It's a mystery.
those 2022 figures are more than adequate

how do they compare to his last four games:
DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 17​
Jul 6​
4​
4​
8​
3​
0​
2​
2​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
39​
43​
Round 14​
Jun 17​
5​
1​
6​
2​
0​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
40​
44​
Round 6​
Apr 24​
3​
4​
7​
0​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
1​
24​
23​
Round 5​
Apr 14​
2​
1​
3​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
23​
19​

i love his defensive speed work but offensively 2023 is well down on 2022.

Last edited:
Maybe you were seeing as you keep banging on relentlessly that MJ can't mark over his head..this from the other night. Fact. ;)

View attachment 19900

Thanks. I was going to trawl through and find this as I distinctly remember at least 1 mark above his head. Stig clearly said he "never marks above his head", well you just proved he does, and I think if memory serves me correctly he may have even done it twice last week.

Reactions: 1 users
One mark . Wow ! FACT !
Richmond are 12th on the ladder and 12th for “ points for “ FACT !!
Chat about the next time he kicks multiple goals in a game when winning the ball in dispute. ( Castagna kicked plenty of goals by winning his own ball and also applied pressure . As did Butler )
There is a reason why we are actually 12th on the ladder
Let’s give players game who aren’t really up to
I could beat him over a 5k run
It’s a team sport
Let’s love Richmond
Cheers

You don't think losing Lynch is the biggest issue affecting our forward line and therefore our scoring?

Or did you forget him when on your Maurice rants.

Reactions: 1 users

Round 17​
Jul 6​
4​
4​
8​
3​
0​
2​
2​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
39​
43​
Round 14​
Jun 17​
5​
1​
6​
2​
0​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
40​
44​
Round 6​
Apr 24​
3​
4​
7​
0​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
1​
24​
23​
Round 5​
Apr 14​
2​
1​
3​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
23​
19​
i love his defensive speed work but offensively 2023 is well down on

Round 17​
Jul 6​
4​
4​
8​
3​
0​
2​
2​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
39​
43​
Round 14​
Jun 17​
5​
1​
6​
2​
0​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
40​
44​
Round 6​
Apr 24​
3​
4​
7​
0​
0​
1​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
1​
24​
23​
Round 5​
Apr 14​
2​
1​
3​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
23​
19​
i love his defensive speed work but offensively 2023 is well down on 2022.
No doubt. I’d like to see him get some continuity at snr level though. He’s playing like a guy who’s worried about losing his spot atm hence a lot of the mistakes. Dropping him again this week won’t help.
Build him up.

You don't think losing Lynch is the biggest issue affecting our forward line and therefore our scoring?

Or did you forget him when on your Maurice rants.
It’s not a rant at all
Averages 6.9 possessions a game
WELL BELOW AVERAGE
Goal accuracy is 25 % which is actually laughable
Tackles inside F50 1.3% above average
Marks inside F50. O.4
That’s means he takes 1/2 a mark a game and you post a pic of him taking a mark to prove your point
These are direct facts off the AFL Wes website
FACTs
How he gets a game is beyond belief
Let’s go further
Kicks per game 4.6
So on the average he gets a kick a quarter which travels 30 metres and misses targets
Goals per game 0.3
Seriously

Thanks. I was going to trawl through and find this as I distinctly remember at least 1 mark above his head. Stig clearly said he "never marks above his head", well you just proved he does, and I think if memory serves me correctly he may have even done it twice last week.
Takes 0.4 marks a game
Have a spell !!

Nah, your just a Rioli hater Stig. You want him gone, clear as day. See nothing positive in him aside from a slight acknowledgment that his pressuring and tackling is ok. I’m fortunate enough to be able to watch the games from level 2 in the MCC members area, and he runs hard and does a lot of unrewarded work. He 100% adds to our side.
He’s never going to be a star imo, but he performs a valued function in the side. Our ability to pressure and stop easy exits from F50 was horrendous against the Lions. I think we desperately need two small pressure forwards. Two out of Rioli, Coulthard and Mansell should always be in the side imo
Where did I ever say I hate him ? Seriously?
All I said he is gifted games ahead of others
FACT !
At stop writing rubbish to suit your agenda
Gabba game we went inside 50 thirty eight times ( nearly a record low)
Reason for this
We coughed the ball up in transition as we played too quick in existing D50
But had the same amount of tackles inside F50 as the lions
Suggest you go and sit in the loungeroom in your MCC members
And the reason he runs hard as he can’t win his own ball and is chasing an opponent
Maybe he should watch Dan Butlers highlights real or Jack Higgins or Jason Castagna. All 3 played the exact role perfect
But that’s another issue for another day in why they ain’t playing at punt rd anymore
Butler has high speed , pressures and more importantly, wins a ball in dispute as does Higgins
Back to your MCC members champ

• Dislike
It’s not a rant at all
Averages 6.9 possessions a game
WELL BELOW AVERAGE
Goal accuracy is 25 % which is actually laughable
Tackles inside F50 1.3% above average
Marks inside F50. O.4
That’s means he takes 1/2 a mark a game and you post a pic of him taking a mark to prove your point
These are direct facts off the AFL Wes website
FACTs
How he gets a game is beyond belief
Let’s go further
Kicks per game 4.6
So on the average he gets a kick a quarter which travels 30 metres and misses targets
Goals per game 0.3
Seriously

You sound like a Trumpette with your FACTS!!

Yes the facts that you have posted are true, and he has dropped away a touch this year (last year he kicked 0.9 goals per game and was well worthy of a place in our team).

What I see (and this is with my own eyes so where you post FACTS, I'm going to post EYES because I actually watch him play in real life not on the TV) and we are a better team when he is in it regardless of what his individual stats show.

Lets take a look at each game this year.

1 - Carlton - Draw - We should really have won, I thought it was a good start to the year we just butchered a lot of opportunities going inside 50
2 - Adelaide - Won - Possibly our best performance of the year despite his "stats" showing he was poor, collectively as a team we were great
3 - Collingwood - Loss - We were ok, but they were much better in the midfield
4 - Dogs - Loss - Maurice didn't play
5 - Swans - Loss - They blew us away in the 4th as we couldn't get the ball out of our half (Maurice was the sub in this game)
6 - Melbourne - Loss - For 3 quarters potentially the best we have played all year, this was the game where we subbed Miller off and then got smashed in the air at both ends of the ground in the 4th
7 - Gold Coast - Loss - Maurice didn't play, probably our worst pressured game all year
8 - WCE - Win - Maurice didn't play
9 - Cats - Win - Maurice didn't play but probably 1 of our best wins
10 - Essendon - Loss - Maurice didn't play - we had no forward pressure all game again, their defenders could just waltz the ball out of F50
11 - Port - Loss - Maurice didn't play
12 - Giants - Win - Maurice didn't play
13 - Freo - Win - Maurice didn't play
14 - Saints - Win - Forward pressure was back in this game
15 - Brisbane - Loss - Worst performance of the year
16 - Sydney - Win - Forward pressure from around halfway through the 2nd when we pushed more man on man was better

I look at the games where our forward pressure this year looked like we expect it to be, and in pretty much every one of those games, Maurice was playing in it. Its not a coincidence and not something that your FACTS will show but something that your EYES tell you.

• Love

Yes the facts that you have posted are true, and he has dropped away a touch this year (last year he kicked 0.9 goals per game and was well worthy of a place in our team).

What I see (and this is with my own eyes so where you post FACTS, I'm going to post EYES because I actually watch him play in real life not on the TV) and we are a better team when he is in it regardless of what his individual stats show.

1 - Carlton - Draw - We should really have won, I thought it was a good start to the year we just butchered a lot of opportunities going inside 50
2 - Adelaide - Won - Possibly our best performance of the year despite his "stats" showing he was poor, collectively as a team we were great
5 - Swans - Loss - They blew us away in the 4th as we couldn't get the ball out of our half (Maurice was the sub in this game)
6 - Melbourne - Loss - For 3 quarters potentially the best we have played all year, this was the game where we subbed Miller off and then got smashed in the air at both ends of the ground in the 4th
7 - Gold Coast - Loss - Maurice didn't play, probably our worst pressured game all year
10 - Essendon - Loss - Maurice didn't play - we had no forward pressure all game again, their defenders could just waltz the ball out of F50
16 - Sydney - Win - Forward pressure from around halfway through the 2nd when we pushed more man on man was better

I look at the games where our forward pressure this year looked like we expect it to be, and in pretty much every one of those games, Maurice was playing in it. Its not a coincidence and not something that your FACTS will show but something that your EYES tell you.
Oh dear
You poor thing
Reckon he might be your favourite player
Interesting I watched the National Under 16s games all last week
Every club was present as were all player managers
What was of interest was the kicking skills of these players whether it was accuracy and distance which unfortunately MRJ as neither at 25% accuracy , and regularly misses targets , but you go on and on about forward pressure
That’s ok
You are entitled to your opinion. , as I am mine
I say the kid has gone backwards since last year for a number of reasons
His clearly isn’t as fit enough and by the looks of it his weight has increased.
His skills are very average as he regularly misses targets
Now it doesn’t matter if you’re there in real life or watch a tape , why ?
As everything is reviewed by tapes
Players get edited highlights and lowlights of each and every games
Suggest you wear your glasses next time you sit in the MCC as you are clearly visually impaired
I will send you an OPSM gift card champ
Cheers

At least someone gets it. Poor Stig just cannot see it on his TV at home