Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Turns 21 in September.

It’s weird how the PRE lynch mob will write-off some players before they’ve had their first shave while others are approaching retirement age and we hear “just need to get more games into him”. Rioli Jnr has got his issues but he’s young and should be given time to develop

Like others, I want him to be cleaner with the ball and kick more goals and hopefully that comes in time. Right now though, his strength is defensive pressure and when he’s on, he stalks defenders like few others in the league. It really is a sight to behold watching Rioli Jnr at the ground as he gets a whiff of lone defender and starts going in for the kill. Plus the coaches clearly like him because they keep picking him and right now that’s good enough for me.

Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, we were diabolical with our lack of F50 pressure, speed and tackling in the Lions game. This kid comes in and straight away, there is at least some semblance of F50 pressure/ball retention, and some want him dropped? He needs to play his role in our forward half as we have no one else at the moment, maybe Coulthard, who has similar speed and willingness to chase hard and tackle. I’d play both myself, as we haven’t had that set up since Butler and George left and Dan was moved back.
If those wanting to drop MJR get their wish, who brings the heat in our F50? Cumberland lololol, or the undersized Judson Clarke Nope, we need to keep MJR in the side imo unless someone else on the list proves they can bring the heat.
Mansell

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Turns 21 in September.

It’s weird how the PRE lynch mob will write-off some players before they’ve had their first shave while others are approaching retirement age and we hear “just need to get more games into him”. Rioli Jnr has got his issues but he’s young and should be given time to develop

Like others, I want him to be cleaner with the ball and kick more goals and hopefully that comes in time. Right now though, his strength is defensive pressure and when he’s on, he stalks defenders like few others in the league. It really is a sight to behold watching Rioli Jnr at the ground as he gets a whiff of lone defender and starts going in for the kill. Plus the coaches clearly like him because they keep picking him and right now that’s good enough for me.
The only reason he is continually chasing opponents as he basically incapable of winning his own ball , huge issue I am afraid . Doesn’t read the drop of the ball at all . Never front and centre . This is caught spectators and not initiating
When he does get the opportunity to kick on the run , his kicking skills are poor
Don’t let your fantasy get in the way of facts
Hoping Mansell back this week
Who can mark overhead, reads where the ball drops and can kick goals on the run

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Nobody’s going to give him credit for reducing Blakeys run? Swans turnovers, smothers, pressure acts?
Just talk kicks, marks & handballs..I guess.

MJ may or may not make it but he does have a unique skill set.
The club will have its own KPIs that it will want from Maurice in the role. If he’s dropped for a better option in that role then so be it but to say he’s useless is ridiculous.

Bottom line is we won the game. Fact.

Reactions: 13 users
Pressure acts this year of those playing forward:

Graham 18.6
Rioli 16.6
Dusty 16.6
Cotch 15.3
Baker 15.2
Miller 14.3
Bolton 14.1
Mansell 12.2
Pickett 12.1
Cumberland 10.9
Jack 10.9
Lynch 10.3
Clarke 10.2

Make up your own mind but for the sake of 1 more pressure act per quarter compared over say a Mansell I know who I'm choosing.

Pressure acts this year of those playing forward:

Graham 18.6
Rioli 16.6
Dusty 16.6
Cotch 15.3
Baker 15.2
Miller 14.3
Bolton 14.1
Mansell 12.2
Pickett 12.1
Cumberland 10.9
Jack 10.9
Lynch 10.3
Clarke 10.2

Make up your own mind but for the sake of 1 more pressure act per quarter compared over say a Mansell I know who I'm choosing.
If you think Dusty provides the same pressure as MRJr, you can't be watching the same games I do.

I get the argument he doesn't kick goals, or do enough to help us score, but surely even Rioli's knockers can acknowledge his defensive pressure is way better than anyone else we have up front?

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody’s going to give him credit for reducing Blakeys run? Swans turnovers, smothers, pressure acts?
Just talk kicks, marks & handballs..I guess.

MJ may or may not make it but he does have a unique skill set.
The club will have its own KPIs that it will want from Maurice in the role. If he’s dropped for a better option in that role then so be it but to say he’s useless is ridiculous.

Yes. I noticed a lot of pressure acts that meant the Swans turned the ball over or it went to a fifty-fifty. On the improve, lets see if he gets another game.

If you think Dusty provides the same pressure as MRJr, you can't be watching the same games I do.
I'm just providing the stats. As I said you make up your mind. For me, the 1 extra pressure act a quarter doesn't make-up for the total absence of offensive performance. Need to have a balance.

I
I'm just providing the stats. As I said you make up your mind. For me, the 1 extra pressure act a quarter doesn't make-up for the total absence of offensive performance. Need to have a balance.
You say you’re providing stats but you don’t have the breakdowns on those stats. Just cause Jack Graham played some games forward this year doesn’t mean he had all those PAs in the forward 50m. Nor do the bare stats indicate what caused a goal in the f50m etc. The comparisons are pretty useless. All those players play different roles as required.

I have issues with players “ gifted games “

Depends how you define 'gifted games'.

Is that

1. games they don't deserve because they are not at the required ability level, or
2. games that they haven't earned through hard work, regardless of whether they are up to the required level?

If your answer is No.2, then yep, 100% agree. If it is No.1 then I think a lot of young players are gifted games as part of their development. I have no issue with this approach. You havew to blood them sometime, and as we have seen, some player do seem to step up at the next level.

I

You say you’re providing stats but you don’t have the breakdowns on those stats. Just cause Jack Graham played some games forward this year doesn’t mean he had all those PAs in the forward 50m. Nor do the bare stats indicate what caused a goal in the f50m etc. The comparisons are pretty useless. All those players play different roles as required.
I wasn't implying that they're all the same. Mansell, Pickett, Cumbo and Graham are the ones who play a similar role and for the sake of 1 pressure act a quarter I'd prefer someone who can win a one-on-one contest, kick a goal, dispose properly and not fall over so often. That's just me. We know pressure is Rioli's strength, the issue lies in the other parts of his game. He needed to improve on last year, statistically he has dropped in every part of his game including defensively pressure acts and tackles. Needs to build in the reserves imo of course.

• Dislike
You are using those stats as an argument to say that is the level of pressure provided by those players, either you think Dusty provides the same pressure as Maurice or you agree those stats are flawed.

You are using those stats as an argument to say that is the level of pressure provided by those players, either you think Dusty provides the same pressure as Maurice or you agree those stats are flawed.
Dusty has played a lot more midfield lately so I'd expect it to be higher but I have 100% seen an improvement in his defensive work this year. However I don't expect any player with a level of offensive outlook to match the pressure of someone who appears to be purely focused on reactively chasing players.

When he has the ball, his mind is moving too quick. Calm down son. Stop panicking.

If he gets even just a semi break out sort of game where most things work for him, it’ll do his confidence and composure the world of good. He’ll improve dramatically after that. Guaranteed. Can he do that in the next 12 months ? Who knows.

But he’s a panicker right now.
West coke will be good for him

Probably the best description I've seen of him so far. Panicker. Yep. He panicks because I assume he isn't yet sure he belongs. We've had a lot of players in that position and the fans don't help (check out the Banks thread last night).

Maurice has played 24 games. Can he get better? Only time will tell, but there is something there, but there are also things that aren't showing right now, and composure certainly isn't 1 of them.
A lack of continuity, for him and the team dont help.
When the side is very settled and everyone anticipates their teammates, leading to the right place etc, then the right disposal is quickly evident.
Overthinking at the minute and as Red said its an unsure whirring state of mind.

A lack of continuity, for him and the team dont help.
When the side is very settled and everyone anticipates their teammates, leading to the right place etc, then the right disposal is quickly evident.
Overthinking at the minute and as Red said its an unsure whirring state of mind.
I have no issue if Mansell replaces him if they think he can do the fwd pressure role better currently. MJ is also finding his way back from a hamstring.

What I won't cop is the relentless sledging that Jnr can't play.
He was one of the most exciting kids on our list at the end of 2022 (below are his last 4 games of the season). They are good by any measure.

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFABL
Elimination Final​
Sep 1​
7​
5​
12​
4​
1​
1​
4​
0​
1​
3​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
Round 23​
Aug 20​
8​
3​
11​
4​
1​
0​
4​
0​
0​
2​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
Round 22​
Aug 14​
10​
2​
12​
3​
2​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
1​
5​
0​
2​
1​
Round 21​
Aug 6​
5​
7​
12​
1​
1​
1​
6​
0​
0​
4​
0​
6​
0​
1​
2​

Noah Cumberland & Tyler Sonsie were exciting too. .All these kids have stagnated or gone backwards & confidence seems down.

It's a mystery.

Reactions: 4 users
I wasn't implying that they're all the same. Mansell, Pickett, Cumbo and Graham are the ones who play a similar role and for the sake of 1 pressure act a quarter I'd prefer someone who can win a one-on-one contest, kick a goal, dispose properly and not fall over so often. That's just me. We know pressure is Rioli's strength, the issue lies in the other parts of his game. He needed to improve on last year, statistically he has dropped in every part of his game including defensively pressure acts and tackles. Needs to build in the reserves imo of course.
Clearly the game phase of the pressure acts are a factor too.
Dusty's pressure most likely around the packs, in tight pressure. Gets high PA numbers from the boundary throw ins and front of goals stoppages.

On the other hand Moju doesnt seem to be a pack hound. Instead he hunts the open spaces. When the bad guys are in the clear and looking to start an attack.
The run down. Even the presence is enough to unsettle and stymie their attacking threat.

Both phases are important.

I have no issue if Mansell replaces him if they think he can do the fwd pressure role better currently. MJ is also finding his way back from a hamstring.

What I won't cop is the relentless sledging that Jnr can't play.
He was one of the most exciting kids on our list at the end of 2022 (below are his last 4 games of the season). They are good by any measure.

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFABL
Elimination Final​
Sep 1​
7​
5​
12​
4​
1​
1​
4​
0​
1​
3​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
Round 23​
Aug 20​
8​
3​
11​
4​
1​
0​
4​
0​
0​
2​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
Round 22​
Aug 14​
10​
2​
12​
3​
2​
1​
4​
0​
1​
2​
1​
5​
0​
2​
1​
Round 21​
Aug 6​
5​
7​
12​
1​
1​
1​
6​
0​
0​
4​
0​
6​
0​
1​
2​

Noah Cumberland & Tyler Sonsie were exciting too. .All these kids have stagnated or gone backwards & confidence seems down.

It's a mystery.
2nd year blues.
Could it be a hubris/ego thing with the young fellas? Didnt work hard enough
Or the side is struggling so they arent connecting and so getting to wrong spots, not in sync? As a team we are misfiring in many games.

I'm just guessing so dont want to sledge these kids. Think all 3 will bounce back.