Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

6 games now without a goal. Needs to get back in the reserves and focus on his offensive skills and learn to correctly choose when to go for the ball and when to defend. Needs to get the right balance. He's 2/3rds through his 3rd year. Should be improving not going backwards.
He should be, but we obviously we value his pressure in the ones. He might be one player who actually gets dropped back to the VFL if we give up on the season at some point.

Bit hard when you live in Queensland champ , but have flown down for 2 games so far this season
Watched every VFL game as well
Can’t play . Zero influence when the ball is above his shoulders , can’t kick , and doesn’t read the flight of ball , always chasing opponents for a reason . Think about it !! Thank god Mansell straight back this week
Used to think the levels of hate/vitriol you directed towards Sydney Stack were unsurpassable.
Now with MJ you're getting close to a PB

Reactions: 1 user
Need someone at punt road teaching him the offensive art of being a forward pocket. Cyril Milne Betts the best reference points for positioning and craft

Need someone at punt road teaching him the offensive art of being a forward pocket. Cyril Milne Betts the best reference points for positioning and craft
Can that be taught?
IMO either you’ve got forward craft goal sense or you don’t

My view, needs to be less one dimensional. Maybe too late for this year but would like to see him work on being in midfield - taught to hunt the ball, quicker decision making. This can be in VFL and worked on preseason - I think he can be more than just a permanent forward - we should find out.

Reactions: 2 users
We get it. You dont like MRJ. Let it go.
I have no issue with the person
I have issues with players “ gifted games “
Wouldn’t be at punt rd if his last name was Smith or Brown
FACT
Tell me when he took a mark above his shoulders or kicked a goal
I am all ears champ !!!
Have a spell

• Dislike
My view, needs to be less one dimensional. Maybe too late for this year but would like to see him work on being in midfield - taught to hunt the ball, quicker decision making. This can be in VFL and worked on preseason - I think he can be more than just a permanent forward - we should find out.
Has played stints in midfield at VFL level and what I've seen he has done ok but not good enough to make it in that possie as a midfielder at AFL level imo.

He's been pretty unconvincing in his brief career to date. He lacks composure and his kicking is really quite poor. He fluffed two soda opportunities again last night and was lucky that Marlion was able to turn the second one into a goal. Really not sure what MJ was trying to do there.

Hopefully the composure comes with more experience but the kicking is a real concern. I really want him to make it; but dunno..........

Reactions: 3 users
He should be, but we obviously we value his pressure in the ones. He might be one player who actually gets dropped back to the VFL if we give up on the season at some point.
I think it's more a reflection of our lack of young smaller forward quality atm (or development of) . I just think Cumbo is a better option. He hasn't been great this year but he's shown he can play and he's hard at it. Has far better evasive skills and can mark. And can kick a goal from outside 50. For the sake of 1 pressure act a quarter it's a no brainer to me. Anyway I wish we'd just make up our minds, choose the preferred young player and give them decent stints rather than dropping them every second week. Kills their confidence and detrimental to their development imo.

• Dislike
Craft, by definition, can be taught. Forward craft can be taught. It's called coaching.

Reactions: 2 users
He's been pretty unconvincing in his brief career to date. He lacks composure and his kicking is really quite poor. He fluffed two soda opportunities again last night and was lucky that Marlion was able to turn the second one into a goal. Really not sure what MJ was trying to do there.

Hopefully the composure comes with more experience but the kicking is a real concern. I really want him to make it; but dunno..........
Elim final was his best game which Inspired much hope for the season

Reactions: 1 users
All players take a bit of time, most preers forget that our premiership team was made up of players who needed the same amount of patience as the current crop. MJ made the swannies pack their dacks and turn it over coming out of defence several times last night. Forget about dropping him, we need one more. I like the look of coulthard. Play them together, a couple of lightning quick young fellas in our forward line hunting defenders like a couple of hungry dingoes is just what we need.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
All players take a bit of time, most preers forget that our premiership team was made up of players who needed the same amount of patience as the current crop. MJ made the swannies pack their dacks and turn it over coming out of defence several times last night. Forget about dropping him, we need one more. I like the look of coulthard. Play them together, a couple of lightning quick young fellas in our forward line hunting defenders like a couple of hungry dingoes is just what we need.
That’s what I want to see.

Give them both the next two weeks.

Reactions: 1 users