Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Yeah I agree, I was a bit surprised to see only 2 tackles as I thought he was more involved than that at the ground. It seems to me its more of a sum of the parts type equation with Maurice in the team. Does he play a stand out game - nope. Do his stats look amazing - nope. Does his presence and his work off the ball make the team better - yep.
Posters judging his defensive pressure on 2 tackles mustnt be watching too closely. He is one of the few players in the league that will run at full speed at someone who is 10-15 mtrs away to stop them having a leisurely stroll out of the backline and lots of time to kick. He does it multiple times a game- its not a tackle, but the chase turns what could be an easy rebound into a rushed kick- greatly increasing our chance of an intercept.

Reactions: 13 users
Posters judging his defensive pressure on 2 tackles mustnt be watching too closely. He is one of the few players in the league that will run at full speed at someone who is 10-15 mtrs away to stop them having a leisurely stroll out of the backline and lots of time to kick. He does it multiple times a game- its not a tackle, but the chase turns what could be an easy rebound into a rushed kick- greatly increasing our chance of an intercept.
That’s all he does is chase backsides …..cant hit a target can’t kick a goal can’t keep his feet
Others have been dropped for less but MJ keeps getting picked

Last edited:
What were you watching?

Probably the dumbest comment I've seen on here. You can say many things about Maurice, but not that he's slow, not in the slightest.

I thought he was ok today, his running was evident at the ground (maybe not so much on TV). I thought he was good, but he needs to kick those goals, particularly that 1st one that he missed.

.would you prefer quick when player with ball not looking?
..oh wise one

Exactly and a lot of that you don't see on TV. Its the same arguments against Mansell. They both play a role that doesn't appear great on TV.

I think its interesting to compare Maurice to their small forward in Papley. IMO Maurice impacted the game far more than Papley did, stats don't always back up the influence that players have on the game.

MRJ - 8D, 2T, 1T50, 0.2, DE 50%
Papley - 12D, 2T. 1T50, 1.1, 67%

Reactions: 3 users
No composure what so ever, but hopefully it comes with time. The crowd lifts when he goes near the ball. We’re all in with this kid as we don’t have any other small crumbers, who apply that manic pressure.

Anyone watch the ressies, is Coulthard a chance to debut this season?

Congrats to Moju. He's become the #1 PRE Whipping Boy. Not easy to do when your surname is Rioli.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
He can’t kick
Doesn’t get to drop of ball
Mansell back next week

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly and a lot of that you don't see on TV. Its the same arguments against Mansell. They both play a role that doesn't appear great on TV.

I think its interesting to compare Maurice to their small forward in Papley. IMO Maurice impacted the game far more than Papley did, stats don't always back up the influence that players have on the game.

MRJ - 8D, 2T, 1T50, 0.2, DE 50%
Papley - 12D, 2T. 1T50, 1.1, 67%
Seriously he fell over more times than he actually kicked the ball
Stats don’t lie

No composure what so ever, but hopefully it comes with time. The crowd lifts when he goes near the ball. We’re all in with this kid as we don’t have any other small crumbers, who apply that manic pressure.

Anyone watch the ressies, is Coulthard a chance to debut this season?

I think so. Different sort of player. Coulthard not so manic on the defence, but he's much more skilled with the ball by hand and by foot

Maybe go to a game instead of watching on the TV.
Bit hard when you live in Queensland champ , but have flown down for 2 games so far this season
Watched every VFL game as well
Can’t play . Zero influence when the ball is above his shoulders , can’t kick , and doesn’t read the flight of ball , always chasing opponents for a reason . Think about it !! Thank god Mansell straight back this week

Bit hard when you live in Queensland champ , but have flown down for 2 games so far this season
Watched every VFL game as well
Can’t play . Zero influence when the ball is above his shoulders , can’t kick , and doesn’t read the flight of ball , always chasing opponents for a reason . Think about it !! Thank god Mansell straight back this week
We get it. You dont like MRJ. Let it go.

Reactions: 6 users
6 games now without a goal. Needs to get back in the reserves and focus on his offensive skills and learn to correctly choose when to go for the ball and when to defend. Needs to get the right balance. He's 2/3rds through his 3rd year. Should be improving not going backwards.

Reactions: 1 users
@BiddiscombeSkills made a great point about time in the VFA being good for Jack Ross' confidence because he now knows he's too good for that level. Similarly, Jack and I have lamented the lack of VFA footy that would allow MoJu to develop his offensive game.

Mansell's back next week, isn't he?

I think so. Different sort of player. Coulthard not so manic on the defence, but he's much more skilled with the ball by hand and by foot
He also seems to have a tank. Sighted a lot on the wings. I reckon they could make an interesting combo.

Mansell's back next week, isn't he?
He is, Mansell straight back in for JNR for mine. In a poor performance by our VFL side overall I were happy with Cumberland's efforts, thought he was pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users