Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Was better last year. But in saying that so were a few other players

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry that he became injured (thought they'd substituted Daniel at first) but no. Has zero awareness, is fumbly, doesn't know where to position himself and rushes. I just can't see him overcoming so many deficiencies. Has been caught by opponents so many times this year.

Hate to say it but he’s become a chronic fumbler now. Just double grabs and fumbles everything. Doesn’t read situations well either. Simple executions are often errors.

Gone backwards this year at 100mph. Big pre season required to help avert what will be an inevitable de listing if this year’s form repeats.

Reactions: 6 users
Needs confidence, fitness and lots of ball work.

Needs a big pre season, and needs to return from his 8 weeks off in better shape than last year.

Reactions: 4 users
Hate to say it but he’s become a chronic fumbler now. Just double grabs and fumbles everything. Doesn’t read situations well either. Simple executions are often errors.

Gone backwards this year at 100mph. Big pre season required to help avert what will be an inevitable de listing if this year’s form repeats.
Too heavy. Not the only 1. It would help if the club concentrated on running over the preseason because we have alot that don't mind walking.
I reckon of we have another preseason like we dud this year we will end up with a top 3 pick next year. Teams are improving in there endurance while we improve our paddling skills in a canoe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What Have I Done Amy GIF by TLC Europe
our recruiting dept.

Unfortunately I just don't think MRJ is an AFL level player. He has really poor hands and has done since he joined the club.

I think thats the thing that will put a line through his career. The fumbles. To be a small player in the AFL, you simply have to be 1 thing, clean. Check out Bakes, he looks good because he's so clean with the footy at ground level. As you say MRJ really struggles and you really saw it in the 1st quarter today, seemed to be in some good spots in the forward line but couldn't take the ball cleanly and it was easily cleared, take the ball cleanly and we would have ended with a shot at goal.

Unfortunately its probably something you either have or you don't which means its possibly a terminal issue for MRJ.

Agree with all comments - watching from the stands today the excitement you used to get when he was near the ball is now one of anxiety

• Haha
People need to “ let go “
You can’t play one short each week
He ain’t up to it
Love affair is over

Thought his pressure was important early. Couple of fumbles for sure. Couple of nice plays too.
He'll be on the list next year but it's big preseason for him. Hope he can get past the hamstring issues & flourish.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes his hands are an issue. But I’m more concerned with his fitness levels. The game he is best at requires huge repeat sprint ability. He does half a dozen and his hammy goes. Needs to lose weight and get himself really fit.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with all the comments on the fumbling.

He needs to work on this this off season or he is done. I’m sure there is a technique to it you could practice and improve at.

Agree with all the comments on the fumbling.

He needs to work on this this off season or he is done. I’m sure there is a technique to it you could practice and improve at.
He should spend the pre season using footys dipped in dishwasher liquid.
And then let's see him handle a dry ball

Stop playing him until he earns a game. Picked on name alone & the magical ‘defensive pressure’. Highly unlikely to ever make it - fumbles, panics when he does have it & unlike his illustrious father - no magic or special skills.

Stop playing him until he earns a game. Picked on name alone & the magical ‘defensive pressure’. Highly unlikely to ever make it - fumbles, panics when he does have it & unlike his illustrious father - no magic or special skills.
Post of the week !! Clearly not up to AFL standard and unfortunately never will be