Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Noticed that in congestion he gets caught in a tackle forcing a ball up a lot. Seems to be slow over the first 5 metres. At AFL level, he'll find it even harder to breakaway from packs for a clean clearance, making him more likely to be an outside link player on a HFF.

I'm suspicious these 30 possession 5 clearance games at VFL level may not ever translate to AFL level stats.

Chimptastic said:
Noticed that in congestion he gets caught in a tackle forcing a ball up a lot. Seems to be slow over the first 5 metres. At AFL level, he'll find it even harder to breakaway from packs for a clean clearance, making him more likely to be an outside link player on a HFF.

I'm suspicious these 30 possession 5 clearance games at VFL level may not ever translate to AFL level stats.

They don't have too. 12 -15 possies, a couple of goals, clever ball use, a few tackles is plenty at half forward.

Be nice if he was Ablett but just someone better than Morris, Newman or Gordon will do for now.

BTW he had 23 possessions yesterday and unusually had the goal kicking radar off. Could easily have had 3 or 4. The team was handicapped by kicking into the breeze all first half as the breeze swung around at quarter time.

When the wind dropped in the second half tigers really controlled the game.

Harry said:
Or the fart in the elevator. Or both.

Just coming back to this, he could have addressed both these issues by just taking the stairs.

Surely as a goal kicking midfielder he replaces Shed.

Chimptastic said:

Would be great to find out. If not he can pack his bags and some other youngster given an opportunity. At 21 surely this is the time to test his abilities once and for all at AFL level, particularly on the back of solid consistent VFL form.

Barnzy said:
Round 12
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles (in a half)
Round 11
24 disposals, seven clearances
Round 10
28 disposals, five clearances, three goals
Round 8
21 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six clearances
Round 7
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal (in 3 quarters)
Round 6
18 disposals, five tackles
Round 5
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals

If he only was as consistent as Newman and Morris.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-07-14/the-vfl-report-round-13

Matt McDonough
23 disposals, 11 tackles, one goal
Played a good mix of midfield and forward. Impacted the game in both positions. We were really impressed with his intensity around the contest, and the tackle pressure he put on. He’s playing some good footy, and is pushing hard for senior selection.

How much harder does he have to push??

Bang on,, he has put the VFL "runs on the board" .... BUT,,,, IMO he has not translated this into AFL output, granted he has had the SUB vest several times.

I recall when drafted I read he was potential the small forward pocket/flanker we so badly need. I know we throw them down back, learn to defend and play multiple roles but surly we must now bite the bullet and see what he has to offer inside 50, pressure acts, crumbing, goal kicking, reading the play as the ball comes forward. Id go as far to say that both he and Morris can play in tandem, one negates the running out defender, one plays a more creative role. I'd be happy with 11 kicks, 2 goals, 5 tackles. He may never be a AFL regular 20 plus touch player.

I think he deserves a call up, similar to Lennon yas not set the world on fire with their 1-10 games played so far. We have been a little spoilt of late because of the yardstick set by Martin/B Ellis/Conca/Vloss with their immediate impact. Some of these kids may take 1-2-3 years to settle in...some may not make the grade at all.

With a lack of a genuine small forward (Edwards can play that role but is far more effective up the ground) Newman's one goal every 3 games and Morris only has a shut down bow in his armory, lets give McD 4 games up forward, 4 full games to see if he is the next in line to play that forward small we need to propel this team up a notch.

11 tackles might be the thing that earns him a call up.

TigerForce said:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-07-14/the-vfl-report-round-13

Matt McDonough
23 disposals, 11 tackles, one goal
Played a good mix of midfield and forward. Impacted the game in both positions. We were really impressed with his intensity around the contest, and the tackle pressure he put on. He’s playing some good footy, and is pushing hard for senior selection.

How much harder does he have to push??

23 disposals, with 11 tackles are good numbers.
He is getting a bit of the ball, but just as importantly is working hard when he hasn't got it. He gas to be rewarded.

tigerman said:
He is getting a bit of the ball, but just as importantly is working hard when he hasn't got it. He gas to be rewarded.

Yep. Time to test and judge his abilities in the 1sts, instead of continuous hesitation. Besides Jack, our forward line is a hole and anyone can fit in. No player is stopping him.

i think he is the best Edwards replacement we have. someone who can play forward and kick goals and then also spend time in the centre square.
if he doesnt get a game this week i doubt we will see him for a while, unless more injuries hit.

Pace Carter, straight swap for Morris.

Why must we overcomplicate everything?

Get him in this week. HE has done the hard yards in the VFL and seems to be doing al lthe right things that they are asking of him. Could be the making of him. I love the way our match committee and coaching staff are really making the young blokes earn their spots. WIll pay dividends in the future and the ones who sook and cant handle I are better off elsewhere anyway.

Want him in this week. He is an SA boy so I always keep an eye out for him. Gordon needs to be sub.

shawry said:
Get him in this week. HE has done the hard yards in the VFL and seems to be doing al lthe right things that they are asking of him. Could be the making of him. I love the way our match committee and coaching staff are really making the young blokes earn their spots. WIll pay dividends in the future and the ones who sook and cant handle I are better off elsewhere anyway.

Want him in this week. He is an SA boy so I always keep an eye out for him. Gordon needs to be sub.

Which is why he looks fat to some. He's been so hungry to get in the 1sts, he's been eating Sherrins.

shawry said:

While certainly not 'sooking' per se, by your own words, are you better off elsewhere Shawry?

tigerman said:
I dont reckon Morris could do those sort of numbers in the ammos or one of the district leagues.