Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

saigon tiger said:
Yes I agree you are obviously talking about Newman and Morris!

Thats a big slap for donuts, considering he cant get a game in front of them.

mld said:
I'm still leaning towards conditioning.

He's Big. He's Fat. He's gonna get the sack
Matthew McDonough

Weren't he and Lloyd rested for the second half of the ressies last Sunday due to possibly being required tonight... strange indeed.

These are Tim Clarkes comments on Matts VFL form:

Rd 3 Matt McDonough
Played a good inside midfield game. Was strong throughout at the stoppages and around the contested ball. But we need him to get more outside ball and to help set us up going forward.

Red 4 Matt McDonough
22 disposals, five clearances, 11 contested possessions
Spent the majority of the match in the midfield, with a couple of spells up forward. Was quite influential, with 22 touches, including 11 contested possessions. The best thing about Matty’s game was that a lot of his disposals were of AFL standard, which is what we expect from him.

Rd 5 Matt McDonough
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals
Played his best game for the year, picking up 30 disposals and kicking three goals. Was very competitive inside the contest, but got plenty of ball outside as well, which is something we have been focusing on with him. Is pushing hard for another opportunity at senior level.

Rd 6 Matt McDonough
18 disposals, five tackles. Couldn’t back up his stellar performance from the previous round. Was okay on the night, with a lot of work inside, including three or four clearances and five tackles. Overall, however, we expect more from him.

Rd 7 Matt McDonough
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal
Played midfield in the first half, and then a little bit down back, before being ‘subbed’ at three-quarter time to be prepared for the AFL as a carry-over player. Was probably a little down on his customary high standard clearance work and competitive work inside. But we expect his form to pick up this week.

Rd 8 Matt McDonough
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles. Only played a half of footy and still had 18 touches. Impacted the game in crucial stoppages and played a high level of AFL footy. Another player pushing for senior selection.

Expecting too many high KPIs from him. Makes you wonder how Lambert surpasses him.

So Clarkes criticism of Matt mainly centres around getting more outside ball.m

tigertim said:
So Clarkes criticism of Matt mainly centres around getting more outside ball.m

big part of McDs problem is Clarke me thinks....

staggered he isn't in the seniors.....morris newman lambert hunt better play damn great tonight..because their keeping this kid out

tigertim said:
These are Tim Clarkes comments on Matts VFL form:

Rd 3 Matt McDonough
Played a good inside midfield game. Was strong throughout at the stoppages and around the contested ball. But we need him to get more outside ball and to help set us up going forward.

Red 4 Matt McDonough
22 disposals, five clearances, 11 contested possessions
Spent the majority of the match in the midfield, with a couple of spells up forward. Was quite influential, with 22 touches, including 11 contested possessions. The best thing about Matty’s game was that a lot of his disposals were of AFL standard, which is what we expect from him.

Rd 5 Matt McDonough
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals
Played his best game for the year, picking up 30 disposals and kicking three goals. Was very competitive inside the contest, but got plenty of ball outside as well, which is something we have been focusing on with him. Is pushing hard for another opportunity at senior level.

Rd 6 Matt McDonough
18 disposals, five tackles. Couldn’t back up his stellar performance from the previous round. Was okay on the night, with a lot of work inside, including three or four clearances and five tackles. Overall, however, we expect more from him.

Rd 7 Matt McDonough
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal
Played midfield in the first half, and then a little bit down back, before being ‘subbed’ at three-quarter time to be prepared for the AFL as a carry-over player. Was probably a little down on his customary high standard clearance work and competitive work inside. But we expect his form to pick up this week.

Rd 8 Matt McDonough
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles. Only played a half of footy and still had 18 touches. Impacted the game in crucial stoppages and played a high level of AFL footy. Another player pushing for senior selection.
Would expect off these sort of coaches assessments he'd be entitled to replace one of the three amigos at senior level. Couldn't possibly see him having less output than one of the incumbents.

How Newman came back in after a couple of brainfades in the last few minutes against the Dogs at Punt Rd, Gordon came back in on fairly ordinary form and to complete the triumvirat, Morris comes back on fairly ordinary results is beyond most of us.

Remember in Rd 1 2013 Griff got dropped and didn't come back in until 2014, Elton has 1 game in 2 years.

I don't know what to think to be honest - Out; Newman, Morris, Gordon. In; McDonough, Lennon, McBean/Lloyd.

The problem is they'll bring McDonough in, he won't have a great game and instead of leaving him in to pick up the pace of the game and feel comfortable, he'll be back in the VFL and either traded back to SA for minimum chips in a shallow draft year or delisted - copybook development that. :fing32

My only guess and its just a guess is that when he was in previously and possibly doing it at VFL level is not following structures and specific coach instructions..

Thats what led R Harvey to being the sub yesterday, going against specific instructions, so for a junior that could be the answer..

I think there is more to it as his numbers have been good.

I don't subscribe to favourites etc (although i believe Dimma believes in age/experience list VS age/experience list -hence we see Newy and Morris etc) so my only sensible guess would be the above.. I hope he listens though, theres been far more talented players than him not make it for reasons unbeknown to us supporters..

I hope he listens as we really do have at least 3-5 positions that need upgrading asap..

puregreen said:
How Newman came back in after a couple of brainfades in the last few minutes against the Dogs at Punt Rd, Gordon came back in on fairly ordinary form and to complete the triumvirat, Morris comes back on fairly ordinary results is beyond most of us.

Remember in Rd 1 2013 Griff got dropped and didn't come back in until 2014, Elton has 1 game in 2 years.

I don't know what to think to be honest - Out; Newman, Morris, Gordon. In; McDonough, Lennon, McBean/Lloyd.

The problem is they'll bring McDonough in, he won't have a great game and instead of leaving him in to pick up the pace of the game and feel comfortable, he'll be back in the VFL and either traded back to SA for minimum chips in a shallow draft year or delisted - copybook development that. :fing32
Agree with all of that.

I've always liked his natural goal sense and his kicking ability, always bit worried about his foot speed for a small but no doubt he deserves a month of footy at AFL in the small fwd/ mid role ...his game yesterday could have quiet easily been a 4 goal game, had 3 shots for goal that were just about all impossible only due to the gale that was happening at that point of the game....honestly don't think he will come in but reckon he deserves too

One needs to remember that Matt doesn't have to come in and be G Ablett.

He just has to offer more than our 19 - 22 players do now.

On that test he is easiiy in.