Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

It's an absolute disgrace this very talented kid hasn't been given a proper go. The only reason must be that he has declared that he wants to return to SA at end of year. Likewise Mc Bean should be in team this week. Unbelievable that Hampson and Morris recalled based on zero form. Only our champions we help us win this.

Put a line through him. He is gone.

Btw this is not a reflection of recruiting but a inconsistent coaching group.

Plenty of people reckoned he was gone last year, yet here he is.

Very confusing. VFL form means very little it appears.

lambert ...newman...and now morris get games before this guy????? staggering....

mld said:
All I can go on is history, and he stayed last time.

His contract ends this year. If he doesn't get a decent opportunity from here why would he negotiate further with the Tigers if an opposition club offers him a good deal (which they will)? There's something amiss here.

tigerlove said:
His contract ends this year. If he doesn't get a decent opportunity from here why would he negotiate further with the Tigers if an opposition club offers him a good deal (which they will)? There's something amiss here.

Doubt if he has any currency

lukeanddad said:
Doubt if he has any currency

He'll have currency alright. Some real ex-Tiger spuds have been taken on by opposition clubs before and McD is only 21 and has been super consistent at VFL level and in the handful of games he has played has shown he can handle the pace.

tigerlove said:
He'll have currency alright. Some real ex-Tiger spuds have been taken on by opposition clubs before and McD is only 21 and has been super consistent at VFL level and in the handful of games he has played has shown he can handle the pace.
Obviously angling to get a late first round draft pick for him when we trade him back to S.A. if he has so much currency.

Surprised he hasn't been given another opportunity at senior level, not inside the reasoning of the selection committee, so I'm guessing there's certain structural things he needs to learn or commit too before he gets another chance at senior level.

TigerMasochist said:
Obviously angling to get a late first round draft pick for him when we trade him back to S.A. if he has so much currency.

He'll be uncontracted. He can go wherever he wants.

If he can't get a game for us ahead of a bunch of first year players this year, then I'm sure there'll be a whole raft of S.A. clubs wafting big wads of money under his nose next year.
Not sure why, but it appears to me he must be doing something wrong regarding structural positioning within games if he's not getting a chance at senior level when we've had so many injuries within his size n type of player.
Seems to be getting plenty of it at VFL level, but at AFL the coaches are usually red hot on structures n positioning with and most importantly without the ball.

tigerlove said:
He'll have currency alright. Some real ex-Tiger spuds have been taken on by opposition clubs before

So you are saying he's a spud?

TigerMasochist said:
If he can't get a game for us ahead of a bunch of first year players this year, then I'm sure there'll be a whole raft of S.A. clubs wafting big wads of money under his nose next year.
Not sure why, but it appears to me he must be doing something wrong regarding structural positioning within games if he's not getting a chance at senior level when we've had so many injuries within his size n type of player.
Seems to be getting plenty of it at VFL level, but at AFL the coaches are usually red hot on structures n positioning with and most importantly without the ball.

Going by Clarke's reports, valid or not, I can't think of any 'structural' error he'd be making. Maybe it's attitude on something we don't know. It's just a shame as we'd love to see him progress his career with games in the 1sts rather than keep languishing in the 2nds.

TigerForce said:
Going by Clarke's reports, valid or not, I can't think of any 'structural' error he'd be making. Maybe it's attitude on something we don't know. It's just a shame as we'd love to see him progress his career with games in the 1sts rather than keep languishing in the 2nds.

It could be the spare tyre.