Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

The_General said:
The fact he handles it like a piece of soap in the prison showers is a completely different issue.

Some friendly advice for Nathan tonight:
dont-drop-the-soap.jpg

The_General said:
That can only mean Newman has been promoted over McDonough. Which is a phooey decision in my eyes. It creates a double standard on what is needed to get out of the VFL. Either McDonough's papers are stamped, or he'll want to leave soon. This is pretty crappy treatment.

Taylor Hunt replaces Corey Ellis on the wing.

Newman replaces Hunt on a HBF (SCG should suit Newman)

Gordon replaces Morris

Lambert/McDonough replace Menadue as sub b/c they want a bigger body against Swans. Club went for Lambert.

The_General said:
I had an exam last night, and when I walked out trying to clear my head, I thought of why Dimma would put Gordon, Newman and Lambert in over McDonough. I was beginning to wonder whether I was out of the mental capacity to process things when I stopped to consider who was dropped.

Morris's role is integral to Dimma's forwardline strategy. Someone has to play that role. McDonough couldn't, he doesn't have the endurance. Gordon has been described as a chaotic runner last year, and unpredictable by the coaching staff. Sounded exactly like Morris to me, only with the fact that Gordon does manage to find a football. The fact he handles it like a piece of soap in the prison showers is a completely different issue. It's the only role I could see Gordon play.

Lambert will come off the bench given his lack of match fitness I think, which means he's replaced Menadue.

That can only mean Newman has been promoted over McDonough. Which is a phooey decision in my eyes. It creates a double standard on what is needed to get out of the VFL. Either McDonough's papers are stamped, or he'll want to leave soon. This is pretty crappy treatment.
The problem with Gordon's chaotic running and unpredictability is that it looks like no one, including his team mates, has any idea what he's going to do with the ball when he gets it.
I do think you're right though in that Newman was promoted over McDonough and that seems to be very short sighted. Newman won't be part of the onfield game next year (at least I hope not) and McDonough could very well be. What does giving Chris Newman another game really matter for the club going forward?

Chimptastic said:
Pretty sure Gordon will be playing Morris' role of defensive maniac.

McDonough can't play that role.

Yes I doubt McD could equal the 1.2 tackles and .6 1%ers a game Gordon has managed this year. In 1 game of 38% game time this year McD managed 3 tackles and 2 1%ers. At this stage I hope McD moves on and proves his worth at another club. He's been royally rooted by the Tiger hierarchy.

Dimma is the only thing standing between Madonna and a Brownlow.

Matt McDonough
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles

Only played a half of footy and still had 18 touches. Impacted the game in crucial stoppages and played a high level of AFL footy. Another player pushing for senior selection.

Get him in!!

The_General said:
... only with the fact that Gordon does manage to find a football. The fact he handles it like a piece of soap in the prison showers is a completely different issue.

This Friday night after Gordon kicks a goal I'd like to see the central umpire bounce a Carlton player's arse.

Missed again, so why make him (and Lloyd) play half a game in the VFL last week??

does seem to be double standards in the vfl re senior player's ie morris newman have average games get a call up,
this kid gets no chance off 18 possession game in a half of football f me. All I can think of is he doesn't have right attitude
dimma and match committee don't like him.

TigerForce said:
Missed again, so why make him (and Lloyd) play half a game in the VFL last week??

To confuse Johnny Barker make him think they had a chance to come in.
Then bring in the liability Morris to give them a :rofl :rofl

Round 12
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles (in a half)
Round 11
24 disposals, seven clearances
Round 10
28 disposals, five clearances, three goals
Round 8
21 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six clearances
Round 7
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal (in 3 quarters)
Round 6
18 disposals, five tackles
Round 5
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals

If he only was as consistent as Newman and Morris.

Dimma has money on Fyfe winning the Brownlow, so can't risk Madonna getting a game yet.

Barnzy said:
Round 12
Round 11
Round 10
Round 8
Round 7
Round 6
Round 5

Yeah ok what about unseen pressure acts can he match The Liability Morris in that stat ? :p

Barnzy said:
Round 12
Round 11
Round 10
Round 8
Round 7
Round 6
Round 5

Farce.

Barnzy said:
Round 12
Round 11
Round 10
Round 8
Round 7
Round 6
Round 5

Must have been Round 9 that's consigned him to the scrap heap.