Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Conca rightfully came under fire for his lack of condition, not sure why Madonna gets away with it.

mld said:
Conca rightfully came under fire for his lack of condition, not sure why Madonna gets away with it.

True, but Conca kept getting games/chances. McDonough hasn't been given the same leeway.

St Kevin said:
True, but Conca kept getting games/chances. McDonough hasn't been given the same leeway.

Conca has way more runs on the board than Plugger. We've seen Conca play at a very good AFL standard, we've seen plugger play some passable AFL football but nothing to write home about.

Baloo said:
Conca has way more runs on the board than Plugger. We've seen Conca play at a very good AFL standard, we've seen plugger play some passable AFL football but nothing to write home about.

McDonough has rarely, if ever, played in his more natural position. He's mainly been down back at AFL level, whereas at VFL level he's been on the ball/ half forward.

St Kevin said:
McDonough has rarely, if ever, played in his more natural position. He's mainly been down back at AFL level, whereas at VFL level he's been on the ball/ half forward.
And he has been the sub/been subbed out on multiple occasions.

Still don't see why any of that means he should get a free pass on criticism for conditioning.

St Kevin said:

this.

there may be a place for him up forward in Sydney with the expected high entries into F50.

mld said:
Still don't see why any of that means he should get a free pass on criticism for conditioning.

I believe that in his VFL games he plays mid/ forward, and plays the whole game.

Sounds like he has enough conditioning to come in and, it will show him, and the other players, that you do get rewarded for hard work in the VFL.

Carter said:
this.

there may be a place for him up forward in Sydney with the expected high entries into F50.

Not on the plane is what I'm hearing. Just staggering if true.

If Newman gets in ahead of McDonough, I'll be very disappointed.

The_General said:

Looks like this is what is going to happen.

The_General said:
But we desperately need Newman's leadership and whatever other intangible that he brings to the side.

But we also need a culture where if you play well at VFL level, you get promoted over someone who didn't.

Now now fellas, we need someone for loose ball goals. By Dimma's own admission.

If Newman plays a HFF role I am going to judge him on score involvements.

Don't worry about Newman getting in ahead of McDonough, how does Gordon get in ?!?

puregreen said:
Don't worry about Newman getting in ahead of McDonough, how does Gordon get in ?!?
I'm stunned by that. After seeing him play North and fumble his way around the ground, I thought his papers had been well and truly stamped. Obviously not.