Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Tigerflag2008 said:
lets face it, most of us could go past Gordon if given the opportunity).

I reckon I'd struggle a bit, he's pretty quick and I'm 46.

nikolasmia said:
Mcdonough doesn't play because every time he gets an opportunity he cant get near it.

That is all
Disagree. Averages 11 possessions in nine games. Not sure how many times he's been the sub. Of his seven games last year, only once did he fail to reach double-figure disposals.

spook said:
Disagree. Averages 11 possessions in nine games. Not sure how many times he's been the sub. Of his seven games last year, only once did he fail to reach double-figure disposals.
Just that alone would put him ahead of Morris.

spook said:

sorry mate, but 11 touches is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Nathan's issue is he drops too many marks - needs to get Lids to teach him how to keep hold of the bloody thing. Would love to see Matt come in for Morris, but I doubt it will happen.

nikolasmia said:

It's 4 more disposals a game than Morris has managed this year. He's only 21. Yeah we get that he hasn't proven himself yet but the question is whether he's a better option than Morris and I can't see how anyone could argue that he shouldn't be in ahead of Morris if form is to be rewarded.

puregreen said:
Nathan's issue is he drops too many marks - needs to get Lids to teach him how to keep hold of the bloody thing. Would love to see Matt come in for Morris, but I doubt it will happen.

Morris is stone motherless last for average marks per game for the Tigers (of players who have played at least 2 games - thats 25 players) so let McDonough practise improving his marking skills at AFL level.

nikolasmia said:

Starring as sub a few times is going to hit the average.

ninjahaha said:
Not saying its the players fault, not saying Hardwick is a no go zone. Just trying to point out the hate is not justified.

If we are to finally break the cycle of Yo Yo then sheit n finals appearances once every 12 years, then we have to accept that improvement is no guarantee of success. If you dont get the result you where after you need to improve again. You dont do this by burning everything to the ground and p!ssing on the people who have givin their all to get you out of a hole!

This is not aimed at you yandb, I appreciate your fair points and discussion.

There is a general rush to be the first to tear the club to shreds. We all hurt, we all want to be a successful club again. It wont happen through dummy spitting.

We have built a decent foundation during the Hardwick era. We, especially the club need to build on that if we are ever to break the cycle of sheit!

I think you are being a bit dramatic.
What were Hardwick's own words? 'When the players stop improving my time will be up...' Or something akin to that..

Well in 2014 and thus far this year we have not improved, no way. I went and watched the Dockers/Bulldogs, and we are a long way behind that type of sustained pressure.

Freo replacing Harvey, who was doing a reasonable job, with Lyon, was not ..'tearing the place down..' , it was about improving again.
In my opinion Hardwick has to take the blame for our stagnation.

Merveille said:
'When the players stop improving my time will be up...'

You could argue the team hasn't improved, but you'd be hard pressed to claim players haven't improved over the last couple of years

Baloo said:
You could argue the team hasn't improved, but you'd be hard pressed to claim players haven't improved over the last couple of years

Well if the players are improving, and the team isn't, I rest my case

Do the exercise of comparing the team who played in the 2013 final debacle against the team who play this year. I see no improvement. Yes individuals have improved but others have gone backwards. Overall no change.

Merveille said:
I think you are being a bit dramatic.
What were Hardwick's own words? 'When the players stop improving my time will be up...' Or something akin to that..

Well in 2014 and thus far this year we have not improved, no way. I went and watched the Dockers/Bulldogs, and we are a long way behind that type of sustained pressure.

Freo replacing Harvey, who was doing a reasonable job, with Lyon, was not ..'tearing the place down..' , it was about improving again.
In my opinion Hardwick has to take the blame for our stagnation.

Seems a fair and reasonable analytical opinion. Its the hate, spite and vitriol that have me worked up.

I do feel like I am being dramatic, but when you read some of the things that have been posted on here about the club, coach and players over the last 4 seasons it takes its toll. As I stated in another post I can sorta understand post game maybe even till monday, but it just dosnt end for some.

First win over the scum in 8 years and people can't even enjoy it. Why not put the bigger picture aside for a week and enjoy it at the very least.

Again standard caveat. Im not pointing that you Merve, just a comment about the lynch mob.

On improvement,

in the 9 straight and wins this season, even most of the the losses this year we have learnt to fight back. We have a few come from behind wins under our belt against decent opponents. We have also held of some decent teams trying to run over the top of us. Thats one aspect of our game thats improved.

The side is starting to upgraded the best 22 to include kids rather than journey men.

We beat the scum

we are are not yet 3-10

I am clutching at straws as our form up till the weekend has been poor. But if we can eliminate the mass of turnovers, kick straight and play with confidence I believe we are still a chance to win more than we lose.

One week at a time at the moment for this Little yellow and black duck!

"he weighs the same as a duck!" "Burn him!"

Letsroar said:
Do the exercise of comparing the team who played in the 2013 final debacle against the team who play this year. I see no improvement. Yes individuals have improved but others have gone backwards. Overall no change.

Yep did that a week or so ago.

The list of players under 25 who played that game consisted of about 12 players. These were the players whose natural progression was yo push us up to the ranks of contenders. I reckon Edwards and Rance definitely better, perhaps Ellis too. The rest have tread water at best IMO.

ninjahaha said:
Seems a fair and reasonable analytical opinion. Its the hate, spite and vitriol that have me worked up.

I do feel like I am being dramatic, but when you read some of the things that have been posted on here about the club, coach and players over the last 4 seasons it takes its toll. As I stated in another post I can sorta understand post game maybe even till monday, but it just dosnt end for some.

First win over the scum in 8 years and people can't even enjoy it. Why not put the bigger picture aside for a week and enjoy it at the very least.

Again standard caveat. Im not pointing that you Merve, just a comment about the lynch mob.

On improvement,

in the 9 straight and wins this season, even most of the the losses this year we have learnt to fight back. We have a few come from behind wins under our belt against decent opponents. We have also held of some decent teams trying to run over the top of us. Thats one aspect of our game thats improved.

The side is starting to upgraded the best 22 to include kids rather than journey men.

We beat the scum

we are are not yet 3-10

I am clutching at straws as our form up till the weekend has been poor. But if we can eliminate the mass of turnovers, kick straight and play with confidence I believe we are still a chance to win more than we lose.

One week at a time at the moment for this Little yellow and black duck!

"he weighs the same as a duck!" "Burn him!"

The wingnut chicken little element wears me down as well, oh for the days of the ignore function.

Good to see him have 2 good games on the trot.

I hope that Ellis, McIntosh and Menadue getting games a head of him is really motivating him, because i think that he has a lot of ability.