Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Brodders17 said:
another good game in the VFL for McDonuts.
i reckon those calling for him to come in to play as a forward are wrong tho.

from the stats, it looks like his best football is played as a mid. he gets plenty of the ball, wins clearances, uses it well and gets on the scoreboard. i dont think he has starred too often as a FP.
when he comes into the team it should be onball. playing him as a permanent forward might be almost playing him as out of position as playing him as a back.
question is then does he have the tank to play AFL midfield? if not he might have to stay at VFL until he does.

Yep. Mid/half back for leysy.

Not going to get the separation on his opponent he needs up forward ILO.

Could use him as the sub and the scapegoat for the following weeks changes.

St Kevin said:
That's the sticking point and that question has yet to be answered at AFL level. He's mainly played down back.

I'm a big Plugga fan, I think there's a role for him at senior level as a high half forward/mid.

Where I see him as well Kev. See him as replacing Morris in the side but not playing exactly the same role.

Ruanaidh said:
Our best today imo. Fair dinkum how is Morris in this side before him :duh

We'll have to wait till we change coach till we see him given a fair go I'd suggest.

Or see him go to another team if Hardwick stays.

i would try him as sub, and when he comes on, put him into the midfield

lets see how he goes there at AFL level

My jury is still out on Madonna. He gets the ball at VFY and is a goodish kick but doesn't really excite. Comparing him with Conca on the weekend, Conca does things that can break down the opposition. Granted some of them don't come off and he looks stupid, but he is constantly trying to gain an advantage. Madonna mostly takes the pedestrian option. Lacks a bit at the moment. Can't really put my finger on it. Watching someone like Edwards you expect something to happen, to break the game up. I am not for one second saying Conca is Sheds-like but he takes more risks than Madonna and probably thinks more. I hope Matty can take the next step and start playing with real freedom.

Watching him on the weekend compared to Morris. No competition would improve us if he replaced Morris

The Mole said:
My jury is still out on Madonna. He gets the ball at VFY and is a goodish kick but doesn't really excite. Comparing him with Conca on the weekend, Conca does things that can break down the opposition. Granted some of them don't come off and he looks stupid, but he is constantly trying to gain an advantage. Madonna mostly takes the pedestrian option. Lacks a bit at the moment. Can't really put my finger on it. Watching someone like Edwards you expect something to happen, to break the game up. I am not for one second saying Conca is Sheds-like but he takes more risks than Madonna and probably thinks more. I hope Matty can take the next step and start playing with real freedom.
we must have 2 concas and McDonoughs on our list.

The Mole said:

You can thank Hardwick for this, he has followed the Hardwick way of take no risk so why complain when the player follows the coaches rules?

Continue to reward good VFL form , there's a spot that suits in the team and give him a solid four weeks in the role, time to find out if he is worth persisting with

Any chance he's just not good enough?

cheese.gif

The Mole said:
I am not for one second saying Conca is Sheds-like but he takes more risks than Madonna and probably thinks more.

Exactly Conca's problem, he thinks too much but doesn't have the skills to make the risks come off. If Conca was more Madonna like in his decision making he'd be first choice hands down.

Madonna isn't fit to tie Conca's shoelaces

I've never seen doughnuts play anything other than good football.

Don't get why he's not in the team.

It's not like we couldn't use another ball winning midfielder who kicks goals.

Straight swap for Morris.

Seriously, I'd be on this thread banging on about that swap every day if I had the mental strength to withstand the fact that, as long as Dimma's in charge, it's never going to happen.

ninjahaha said:
Any chance he's just not good enough?

cheese.gif

I presume you are talking about Hardwick Ninja and I am surprised that you don't think he is good enough as you have been his no 1 supporter. ??? ??? ???

yandb said:
I presume you are talking about Hardwick Ninja and I am surprised that you don't think he is good enough as you have been his no 1 supporter. ??? ??? ???

I am sure it looks like I am Hardwicks no 1 supporter.

But its more about trying to balance out the view that everything is his fault and he is totally hopeless.

In a time when 4 clubs have dominated the comp for almost a decade and all the teams who have tried to cross no mans land have failed, a little more constructive thought than a lynchmob I think is worth while.

I am as angry as the next tiger fan, but slagging off the coach and the players is just venting. We got dam close to taking the next step. Although form doesn't indicate we will this year, there is plenty of time for that to change. If we fail then the club needs to fix it. I personally will get no comfort from ridicule of our coach or players. Many factors derail success.

For the record, there is a massive chance donuts is not getting a game because he is just not good enough. But that doesn't suit the Hardwick is is hopeless narrative!