Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

rhul said:
I've never seen doughnuts play anything other than good football.

Don't get why he's not in the team.

It's not like we couldn't use another ball winning midfielder who kicks goals.

Straight swap for Morris.

Seriously, I'd be on this thread banging on about that swap every day if I had the mental strength to withstand the fact that, as long as Dimma's in charge, it's never going to happen.

agree entirely. this is what should happen but doubt it will

tigerlove said:
Exactly Conca's problem, he thinks too much but doesn't have the skills to make the risks come off.
That's what they used to say about Sheds.

ninjahaha said:
For the record, there is a massive chance donuts is not getting a game because he is just not good enough. But that doesn't suit the Hardwick is is hopeless narrative!

I get what you're saying, but for me it's more the Morris is hopeless narrative. McDonough can play. Every time he's had a crack at AFL level he's been played in a completely different spot to where he played as a junior and where he's practiced at VFL level. He's not known as Plugger for nothing. IMO, in the same position as Morris he would contribute more in terms of scoring ability, ball skills and footy nous, plus the added ability to run through the midfield which allows one of Cotch/Lids/Martin/Edwards to spend more time forward. 10 pressure acts from Morris doesn't make up for only kicking 0.3 goals each week. A good offense is the best defence!

I think Hardwick is slowly conceding defeat on the Morris experiment tbh. He was named on the bench against the pies and on the extended bench for the VFL squad which means he's not far from the cusp.

Stylo said:
I get what you're saying, but for me it's more the Morris is hopeless narrative. McDonough can play. Every time he's had a crack at AFL level he's been played in a completely different spot to where he played as a junior and where he's practiced at VFL level. He's not known as Plugger for nothing. IMO, in the same position as Morris he would contribute more in terms of scoring ability, ball skills and footy nous, plus the added ability to run through the midfield which allows one of Cotch/Lids/Martin/Edwards to spend more time forward. 10 pressure acts from Morris doesn't make up for only kicking 0.3 goals each week. A good offense is the best defence!

I think Hardwick is slowly conceding defeat on the Morris experiment tbh. He was named on the bench against the pies and on the extended bench for the VFL squad which means he's not far from the cusp.

Its a fair call on morris.

No doubt Harwick is stubborn. He has his plan and no doubt he is losing confidence in it himself after two poor starts to seasons in a row. He will have to wear the responsibility for it if the wheels fall off.

But he isn't the only football brain that has a belief in players with 50- 80 games are more likely to give you better results. He put a load of games into kids in his early years, during compromised drafts the club bought in experienced players, I guess he wanted us to stay competitive to learn to win games until the draft was even again! Play finals then build the list to go further.

I doubt he expected us to be fighting it out at 3-10 and 2-4 at this stage of his plan. But he (and many others) believe that 50-80 game's plus is where players start to deliver consistency. Like with miles replacing Thomas, when the young version out performs the mature one, then they are in. If Donuts was going to give us a better result than morris, then dima would play him in an instant. Maybe that time is close. Maybe morris's role will go to someone else. Time will tell.

Posters are just looking for any reason to slag him off. The bigger picture for me is that it has turned into a witch hunt.

It started in 2012 when we missed the finals and has barely stopped. The guy deserves a little credit for what he has done. Its not all black and white. Even if we go backward this year (which still yet to pan out!) the amount of spite he has already received is way over the top! He may not be the answer, but he isn't all bad.

Just to be clear stylo I am not addressing my angst at you. I like the rest am pissed at another frustrating season. But the 33 years of failure is still easier to take than the over the top spite that comes out from too many RFC fans. Venting I get, but spite piled on spite day in day out for 33 years ...

I don't even think cartoon fans hate us as much as many of the posters here do?

ninjahaha said:
But he isn't the only football brain that has a belief in players with 50- 80 games are more likely to give you better results. He put a load of games into kids in his early years, during compromised drafts the club bought in experienced players, I guess he wanted us to stay competitive to learn to win games until the draft was even again! Play finals then build the list to go further.

Not just him it was a club decision. No one person can be blamed for it.

Ninja I agree that Hardwick has copped personal abuse from some posters, but the majority of posters can see the flawed game plan he has been pushing. This game plan has been costing us potential wins against teams we should be beating but for the second season in a row he has stubbornly persisted with it.

If the reports of his interview on "on the couch" are true, the game plan that that won us the match on the week end was a mistake. And not the way we want to play going forward ??? ??? ???

Ninja you have been happy to give the players a belt around the ears for weeks but Hardwick has been a no go zone for you.

rhul said:
I've never seen doughnuts play anything other than good football.

Don't get why he's not in the team.

It's not like we couldn't use another ball winning midfielder who kicks goals.

Straight swap for Morris.

Seriously, I'd be on this thread banging on about that swap every day if I had the mental strength to withstand the fact that, as long as Dimma's in charge, it's never going to happen.

Needs to dye his hair blonde and start running around like a headless chook.

Mcdonough doesn't play because every time he gets an opportunity he cant get near it.

That is all

nikolasmia said:
Mcdonough doesn't play because every time he gets an opportunity he cant get near it.

That is all

As opposed to Morris, who just keeps racking them up.

Stylo said:
He was named on the bench, but pretty sure he started on the ground. I see some similarities in the way Hardwick plays McDonough out of position to the way that Wallace did to Edwards. For some reason he kept playing him out of the backline and then seemed surprised when it didn't actually come off.

nikolasmia said:
Not a fan of Morris, but at least he is quick

Morris isn't quick, his legs are short and move fast. A phenomenon termed 'Nahas Syndrome'.

St Kevin said:
Morris isn't quick, his legs are short and move fast. A phenomenon termed 'Nahas Syndrome'.
I thought he was, but I had a look at him on the weekend and you're right. He looks like he's going fast, but he doesn't cover the ground very quickly.

nikolasmia said:
Not a fan of Morris, but at least he is quick

He can try our for the Stawell gift if thats the case
Just get the "liability" out of our forward line

Morris certainly isn't slow

ninjahaha said:
I am sure it looks like I am Hardwicks no 1 supporter.

But its more about trying to balance out the view that everything is his fault and he is totally hopeless.

In a time when 4 clubs have dominated the comp for almost a decade and all the teams who have tried to cross no mans land have failed, a little more constructive thought than a lynchmob I think is worth while.

I am as angry as the next tiger fan, but slagging off the coach and the players is just venting. We got dam close to taking the next step. Although form doesn't indicate we will this year, there is plenty of time for that to change. If we fail then the club needs to fix it. I personally will get no comfort from ridicule of our coach or players. Many factors derail success.

For the record, there is a massive chance donuts is not getting a game because he is just not good enough. But that doesn't suit the Hardwick is is hopeless narrative!

Well said

Madonna at VFL level looks clean, focused and skilled, when played in the AFL I don't see any of these traits come forward

Mappa said:
Well said

Madonna at VFL level looks clean, focused and skilled, when played in the AFL I don't see any of these traits come forward

If he got the opportunities like Morris, Pettard and even Taylor Hunt night be a different Madonna in the Afl. Been very poorly managed IMO. Never been played in his preferred position, forward onballer. Has a future with the tiges if he is offered the chance.

Just watched replay of the last qtr in the ressies . Madonna clearly our best player with 5/6 score involvements. Gordon did not touch it . Lennon quiet , Conca and Hampson combined well on a couple of centre clearances . Matty Dea is as good as Batchelor but don't think he is an upgrade .

yandb said:
Ninja I agree that Hardwick has copped personal abuse from some posters, but the majority of posters can see the flawed game plan he has been pushing. This game plan has been costing us potential wins against teams we should be beating but for the second season in a row he has stubbornly persisted with it.

If the reports of his interview on "on the couch" are true, the game plan that that won us the match on the week end was a mistake. And not the way we want to play going forward ??? ??? ???

Ninja you have been happy to give the players a belt around the ears for weeks but Hardwick has been a no go zone for you.

Not saying its the players fault, not saying Hardwick is a no go zone. Just trying to point out the hate is not justified.

If we are to finally break the cycle of Yo Yo then sheit n finals appearances once every 12 years, then we have to accept that improvement is no guarantee of success. If you dont get the result you where after you need to improve again. You dont do this by burning everything to the ground and pissing on the people who have givin their all to get you out of a hole!

This is not aimed at you yandb, I appreciate your fair points and discussion.

There is a general rush to be the first to tear the club to shreds. We all hurt, we all want to be a successful club again. It wont happen through dummy spitting.

We have built a decent foundation during the Hardwick era. We, especially the club need to build on that if we are ever to break the cycle of sheit!

Remains to be seen, but I actually think he has been well developed by the club. He is a much more rounded, and fit, player than when he arrived. I am pleased he is now starting to dominate VFL. Great effort to have so many players out last week either injured or promoted, not a single listed tall forward playing for Richmond, and Maradonna gets 30 touches and 3 goals. Based on the weekend's effort it looks like he has gone past Lloyd and Gordon (who, lets face it, most of us could go past Gordon if given the opportunity). I hope his form continues and that the coach has no choice but to promote him.

Very happy to see this development versus the days when a Ben Nason gets gifted games and then is gone after 2 years.

Still a long way to go but I still believe we have a very good young player in Maradonna. I hope really that when he gets a real chance at senior level that he is fully ready and is able to transfer his form to AFL.