Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Where do the myths that Conca and Mcdonough are slow come from? Some posters post the suggestion that they are slow and others then treat that as fact.

Not all players are jets ( 2.8 secs for the 20mt sprint test ) in fact there are probably only 6-8 players on our list in that category. I would place Conca about the 3.0 mark and Mcdonough about 3.05 which is still quick but not fast.

Other players who would fall into this same speed area would be Houli, Pettard, Grigg, Ellis and Ellis, but apart from Grigg very few posters ever claim these players are slow.

Just because a player is not "quick" doesn't make him "slow"

yandb said:
Other players who would fall into this same speed area would be Houli, Pettard, Grigg, Ellis and Ellis, but apart from Grigg very few posters ever claim these players are slow.

In fairness none of those players you listed play forward regularly, and none (perhaps with the exception of Pettard) are great pressure players.

yandb said:
Where do the myths that Conca and Mcdonough are slow come from? Some posters post the suggestion that they are slow and others then treat that as fact.

Not all players are jets ( 2.8 secs for the 20mt sprint test ) in fact there are probably only 6-8 players on our list in that category. I would place Conca about the 3.0 mark and Mcdonough about 3.05 which is still quick but not fast.

Stop it! you're making too much sense Yandb!

If someone says something, others will treat it as fact.

lets see if this works...

Madonna is quick...

Monfries is a great comparison, Tf08. Particularly in the Port forward line. He's their only player in the area who is classically slow but he still chases. (There are lessons for Beavis there.)

But all other Port small forwards are quick to blistering. And the talls are average to blistering. White was a plus for them structurally.

Dyer'ere said:
Sin, on this occasion our understandings of the facts widely diverge. I find the proposition 'Conca has never been tried as a forward' absurd in this context. A bit like a meteorologist saying 'The sun is never in the west'.

To clarify why I think that Madonna (and Conca) are too slow to play small forward in a well structured team I think Morris is important.

How many of our forwards can chase down an opponent? How many ever do? Does Conca? (When he's been in his regular HFF slot.) Will Madonna? Is it to be only Steve Morris who can do that? Is Morris to play forward to cover for the forwards who are too slow to do that?

To structure a team so that only one forward is quick enough to hunt down dancing backs is highly unorthodox. Orthodox would be all of them.

If Madonna can kick his 20 odd a year that'd be great. But it's still unorthodox for type. 182, 80, three point something(?) for twenty. Not a typical small forward by any stretch. It's not out of the question but it's at least unorthodox and, given Dimma's 2014 preseason forwardline masterplan, possibly lunacy.
now Jack. Please don't be as loose with the facts as your namesake.

Conca has never been tried as a forward. He may have had the odd stint wandering into the forward line, may have even rested there once or twice, but never been played as a forward. Back flanker, wing yes.
He is definitely not slow.

Not sure how Morris also got into the discussion but McDonough is a forward, that's what he was drafted as. I don't know if will make it as one but Conca has nothing to do with it.

Speed is not the prerequisite for a small forward, it is only part of the package.

The following are the skill sets a small forward would require

1 Football sense (natural footballer )
2 Goal sense
3 speed
4 Agility
5 Mental toughness (willingness to put yourself in danger to get the ball )

Not many small forwards in the AFL tick all the boxes but most good ones tick nearly all.
E.G. Krackour wasn't fast but ticked all the other boxes and was a good small forward.
Kingy wasn't the quickest but ticked all the other boxes and was a good small forward.

Mc Donough ticks most of the boxes so why can't he become a good small forward?

Are they quick? Or do they read the play better and get to the right spots, and just chase harder and have second efforts?

Dyer'ere said:
Monfries is a great comparison, Tf08. Particularly in the Port forward line. He's their only player in the area who is classically slow but he still chases. (There are lessons for Beavis there.)

But all other Port small forwards are quick to blistering. And the talls are average to blistering. White was a plus for them structurally.

Monfries is IMO one of the more underrated players in the comp, wonderful kick inside 50 and a surprisingly good lead up target. He & Bruest the best permanent medium forwards. If Matty Mc turns out something like Gus, I'll be over the moon.

And pressure inside 50 is about defensive application & willingness to work, not pace.

If we actually start rating small forwards on how many goals they kick instead of chases tackles tattoos and/or ability to point and bark we may eventually find one.

ToraToraTora said:
If we actually start rating small forwards on how many goals they kick instead of chases tackles tattoos and/or ability to point and bark we may eventually find one.
So one possession n one goal per game would make a handy small forward at 22 goals per season. Little bit more to the game than that I think.

ToraToraTora said:

I largely agree with this. You don't need to chase the umpire back to the centre square after a goal is kicked.

Our best today imo. Fair dinkum how is Morris in this side before him :duh

Hope McDonough keeps working hard in the ressies, banging down the door until he eventually gets into the seniors. Reckon he has got something to offer the Tigers as a small forward, with an occasional run on the ball, but he's going to have to earn his stripe. Go get 'em, Matty.

The treatment and development of this kid has been really really poor.
Publicly singled out post game and castigated by Dimmer after letting through a ball that bounced in the goal square against Melbourne in the Hafey tribute debacle last year, and subsequently banished to the reserves.
This, after a very promising start to 2014 when he was one of our young shining lights in the early games when we were struggling.
Puzzling treatment of the kid when he is just starting to find his way in the seniors.
Whilst lacking genuine pace (no different in that regard to most of our team), McDonough offers attributes we sorely lack: elite kicking, goal kicking ability, and a good mark for his size.
He just needs a coach who instills confidence in him and will give him an extended run in the seniors to show what he can do.
Instead, he gets dropped after half a game in the wet last week when the whole (senior) side got overrun by a more desperate Demons.
Unless he gets some career traction soon, McDonough will be gone at year end, and who could blame him.
Should have been groomed for Newman's spot two years ago, but that would be called succession planning.
Poor development - a Hardwick special.

17 said:
The treatment and development of this kid has been really really poor.
Publicly singled out post game and castigated by Dimmer after letting through a ball that bounced in the goal square against Melbourne in the Hafey tribute debacle last year, and subsequently banished to the reserves.
This, after a very promising start to 2014 when he was one of our young shining lights in the early games when we were struggling.
Puzzling treatment of the kid when he is just starting to find his way in the seniors.
Whilst lacking genuine pace (no different in that regard to most of our team), McDonough offers attributes we sorely lack: elite kicking, goal kicking ability, and a good mark for his size.
He just needs a coach who instills confidence in him and will give him an extended run in the seniors to show what he can do.
Instead, he gets dropped after half a game in the wet last week when the whole (senior) side got overrun by a more desperate Demons.
Unless he gets some career traction soon, McDonough will be gone at year end, and who could blame him.
Should have been groomed for Newman's spot two years ago, but that would be called succession planning.
Poor development - a Hardwick special.

Agree with this.

Even though its early in the year, like Arnot I have a feeling that his papers have been stamped.

if a coach has personality issues with players surely their ability must be priority. i can understand if players are trouble makers or whatever, but Arnot and MattyMc don't appear to be dickheads. i totally agree that if they were treated with a bit more respect they would be contributing well to the team, they aren't world beaters but they deserve a go. this area of DHs man management is appalling.

artball said:
if a coach has personality issues with players surely their ability must be priority. i can understand if players are trouble makers or whatever, but Arnot and MattyMc don't appear to be *smile*s. i totally agree that if they were treated with a bit more respect they would be contributing well to the team, they aren't world beaters but they deserve a go. this area of DHs man management is appalling.

No. The guys we selected last night are better.
But If Arnott and McDon keep at it they'll make it.

Donuts was travelling emergency for the Brisbane game, and hence didn't play at all that week. He was sub last week, and he's emergency this week. I'd say he's pretty close. Lids, Conca and Grimes could be back from next week, so it might be hard for him to get back in for a while (barring more injuries), but if he keeps performing in the VFL he'll get another crack at some point.

another good game in the VFL for McDonuts.
i reckon those calling for him to come in to play as a forward are wrong tho.

from the stats, it looks like his best football is played as a mid. he gets plenty of the ball, wins clearances, uses it well and gets on the scoreboard. i dont think he has starred too often as a FP.
when he comes into the team it should be onball. playing him as a permanent forward might be almost playing him as out of position as playing him as a back.
question is then does he have the tank to play AFL midfield? if not he might have to stay at VFL until he does.

Brodders17 said:
another good game in the VFL for McDonuts.
i reckon those calling for him to come in to play as a forward are wrong tho.

from the stats, it looks like his best football is played as a mid. he gets plenty of the ball, wins clearances, uses it well and gets on the scoreboard. i dont think he has starred too often as a FP.
when he comes into the team it should be onball. playing him as a permanent forward might be almost playing him as out of position as playing him as a back.
question is then does he have the tank to play AFL midfield? if not he might have to stay at VFL until he does.

That's the sticking point and that question has yet to be answered at AFL level. He's mainly played down back.

I'm a big Plugga fan, I think there's a role for him at senior level as a high half forward/mid.