Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

His kicking is sublime.

Half back, wing, half forward are all areas his skills can be utilised but in time you'd want him mostly creating and finishing centre and forward of centre.

I'm with Laser, was dead-set stiff to be dropped never to return last year. I liked him at half-back, but agree he can play anywhere.

he's a natural fwd so play him there!
he's unlucky last year, went back to VFL as a fwd then the side started winning & he couldn't get back in to the side. ditto that for Lennon

Was really good with my 5 year old Tiger today at the family day. Had a bit of a gag with him and got him out of his shell and they both had a good laugh. He is a good kid McDonut. Thanks Matt!

He is now one of our family favourites.

However big Eeevan's number 20 is going on my young Tiger's jumper though. Loves the big man.

Glad to hear this TT.

Still yet to see him really deliver on the field and the other day was a great opportunity and to be homest he probably disappointed me the most. He should be the one replacing King not Morris and that is probably speaking volumes about the match panel's thoughts on him.

Know it's not popular still think little Plugger will struggle up forward with his lack of pace.

His footskills, nice hands & reading of the play ideally suited down back where he performed well last year.

There is something about this kid that i say he can be an A grader..

Just do not know what it is yet.. Will keep a close eye on him..

PS i would 100% still have in in the side instead of Newman.

B2

Leysy Days said:
Know it's not popular still think little Plugger will struggle up forward with his lack of pace.

His footskills, nice hands & reading of the play ideally suited down back where he performed well last year.

Yours seems like the orthodox view, Leyser.

Didn't have a lot of support earlier in the off-season bro.

But that's not unusual. ;D

Leysy Days said:

I know what you mean Leysey but I have always felt that as a forward his finishing skills are very important. He strikes me as a player who can get 8-10 possessions in a forward role and kick 2-3. Not a high possession type forward.

Hope he takes his game to another level therefore ensuring he gets a decent and consistent crack at playing some decent footy in the seniors. He does have a few qualities that catch the eye and I hope he becomes a regular in the side.

I can understand trying to get McDonough to play more midfield etc , But why wouldnt we just play him as a small foward at senior level until he gets 30-50 games under his belt and then run him through the midfield - The kid is a natural foward

Let him get his confidence and feel for the smoke first

Dyer'ere said:
Yours seems like the orthodox view, Leyser.

See the latter posts to show it's the unorthodox view brother. ;D

I just did, Bryan. :hihi

I suppose we've tried a short fat slow small forward who can't mark before with Conca. And Newman. Although Newman can technically mark he just can't jump. Or walk.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out. Plugger is rugged. Maybe he can Luke Ball a goal or three. And he'll definitely find a hole.

Dyer'ere said:

I suppose we've tried a short fat slow small forward who can't mark before with Conca. And Newman. Although Newman can technically mark he just can't jump. Or walk.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out. Plugger is rugged. Maybe he can Luke Ball a goal or three. And he'll definitely find a hole.
Not a bad analysis except Conca has never been tried as a forward and he is definitely not slow. But apart from that it was good ;D

Dyer'ere said:

Plugger's a strong mark.

Sintiger said:
Not a bad analysis except Conca has never been tried as a forward and he is definitely not slow. But apart from that it was good ;D

Sin, on this occasion our understandings of the facts widely diverge. I find the proposition 'Conca has never been tried as a forward' absurd in this context. A bit like a meteorologist saying 'The sun is never in the west'.

To clarify why I think that Madonna (and Conca) are too slow to play small forward in a well structured team I think Morris is important.

How many of our forwards can chase down an opponent? How many ever do? Does Conca? (When he's been in his regular HFF slot.) Will Madonna? Is it to be only Steve Morris who can do that? Is Morris to play forward to cover for the forwards who are too slow to do that?

To structure a team so that only one forward is quick enough to hunt down dancing backs is highly unorthodox. Orthodox would be all of them.

If Madonna can kick his 20 odd a year that'd be great. But it's still unorthodox for type. 182, 80, three point something(?) for twenty. Not a typical small forward by any stretch. It's not out of the question but it's at least unorthodox and, given Dimma's 2014 preseason forwardline masterplan, possibly lunacy.

Mark Le Cras, Angus Monfries are a few that come to mind that Maradonna could emulate. Good mark, superb kick, knows where the goals are.

I don't think he will ever be the zippy small forward.