Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

i'm really hoping we engage Matty McD as a small forward in 2015 and wonder by extending his contract we plan to do this? HAS to be worth a punt!!

josey said:
Not too many small forwards in the AFL are able to rack up 30 goal years without genuine leg speed.

Milne managed plenty without much speed. Hence the comparison. Both slightly dumpy, both waddle a bit, both good kicks. Not sure if Donuts frequents municipal waste facilities though.

josey said:
I suspect it is much more simple than that.

He is 180 cm and does not have elite speed. So he will struggle to play as a permanent forward, which means he needs to develop a genuine tank to play the high half forward role and compete with guys like Edwards and Gordon.

Like I said, McDonough's situation seems pretty simple. Get a tank, get a game.

Leysy's loves Little Pluggers ability, but this is 100% true.

When you lack leg speed you need elite fitness. Unless he gets that he wont make it. Especially as a small/med forward under Hardwick.

He's already come a long way in that area from ground zero that he came from, but a lot of hard work to go yet.

What he has is a true footballers understanding of the game and a great kick. Play him and let him work our what he needs to do. A group of robots will mean you end up mid pack. Innovation, skill and a strong club win you flags.

Letsroar said:
What he has is a true footballers understanding of the game and a great kick. Play him and let him work our what he needs to do. A group of robots will mean you end up mid pack. Innovation, skill and a strong club win you flags.

like the sentiment. Donner kebab could go either way I reckon. Sam Mitchell?

Carter said:
. Our structure doesn't allow for attacking small forwards. Another natural forward in Lloyd was dropped like a hot potato. Wasn't his fault. Game plan favours some but not others. Fact.*

Lloyd was dropped then came back, both Cotchin and Deledio were played forward in our winning streak.

Stylo said:
Nobody has said he is or will be as good as those guys. It's just a game style comparison.

Still can't see how he can be compared, either in talent or game style, to champion forwards when his only AFL games have been in defence. Or maybe I am being too practical and should learn to dream a bit more ;D

After all the talk on PRE about how disgracefully macca had been treated the little fella signs on for another year....

I would say that those WithIN the club have expressed to him what he needs to improve on and the levels required etc... Surely not as were a basket case arent we? people on Pre know whats required better than the club? dont they??

The fact this A grade backman/mid/forward didnt walk out on us and give us a top 5 pick means hes happy and the club are actually developing him in conjunction to him actually enjoying his environment and seeking to improve his deficencies... Amazing..

Carter said:
Psssst. Antman. Over here. I'll whisper it so no one else can hear. *McDonagh wasn't played forward in the seniors this year. At all. Dimma played him behind the ball where he diligently racked up tidy possessions but wasn't spectacular. Our structure doesn't allow for attacking small forwards. Another natural forward in Lloyd was dropped like a hot potato. Wasn't his fault. Game plan favours some but not others. Fact.*

And yet as IanG said, Lloyd was dropped on form and yet picked again sometime later.

In McDonough's development process we've seen so far that he has excellent skills, has football smarts, lacks a tank, lacks elite speed, but can clearly play in multiple positions on the ground. Like many good young players he needs to work on the defensive aspects of the game before he gets a regular gig in the seniors.

I reckon it's completely valid for Dimma and the VFL coach to be trialling him around the ground and working out where he best fits and of course that does depend a lot on game plan for day/team/opposition.

Ahem. YES, ANTMAN, YOU'RE QUITE RIGHT. CARRY ON FORSOOTH.

Cartman, you make some good points, but you are too sensitive to criticism. Don't take it so personally. People will disagree with you, we all have opinions.

buenavista said:
Still can't see how he can be compared, either in talent or game style, to champion forwards when his only AFL games have been in defence. Or maybe I am being too practical and should learn to dream a bit more ;D

Vista agree with you. Everyone is making him out to be the next Rioli, Bruest, L.Thomas etc. He must have shown something I didn't see. I remember him in his first game against Carlscum and thought WTF. I also remember him this season against Geelong or the Dawks where he had about 7 kick on him in total. Hasn't shown enough to say he will be a gun forward as everyone makes him out to be. Hasn't shown enough to say he will make it. Another Matt Dea IMO.

Alot has been said about this kid Matt McDonogh and alot of people on many forums and at grounds aswell as in pubs are all saying what a smart footballer he is and is a natural footballer thats very quick in the mind and makes good decisions but is slow and is being played out of position by Damien Hardwick.

Most people do agree that he is a natuaral foward withe elite kicking and good hands but feel that he wont make it because small fowards need to have speed, lightening pace - But i would like to think outside the box here alittle and say - No this kid is not a foward and was only played there because of his limited tank and he is actually a midfielder that can play foward and Dimma is just teaching him the HB role to develope his defensive game.

The player i have chosen to compare him to is a player that is 1cm shorter & 2kgs lighter than matt and was selected with #36 in the 2001 draft by hawthorn, This player was also considered way too slow to make it but had a good football mind and his statts at the same age/games as matt was unbelievably close almost exactly the same its freaky - Same everything height,weight,speed,drafted range,statts - Can anybody guess who this player is
(I'll Give you a hint , He has 3 premiership medallions 1 for each of his children)

Mr Sam Mitchell - Hawthorn Football Club

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=11&pid1=266&tid2=15&pid2=3835&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Interesting comparison. However, without bringing up examples, i'm sure there are other juniors with similar stats over the years to Sam at that age, who haven't made that next step to an elite midfielder

I would hope that he does get more oppurtunities next year, but I think his tyres are being pumped up a bit too much. Hopefully we can see him in a midfield-forward rotation now that he has played some footy off half back, as seems to be our normal apprenticeship for these types.

Yeah I do agree with what your saying, But there is just something a little different with this kid that just makes you think - He really does have something

I do think that he is a slow burn type of player who will take 1-2 years to build his fitness/tank and establish himself in the team but once he does, He could go on and become 1 of those players that are integral to the teams makeup

Not an athlete but a really good footballer

Carter said:
Unfortunately McDonagh will be left in the shade along with McBean.

A natural forward, elusive and smart.

Can't have those in a Hardwick side.

Do you have to bring everything back to hard wick, it does get a bit boring.

antman said:
Cartman, you make some good points, but you are too sensitive to criticism. Don't take it so personally. People will disagree with you, we all have opinions.

My posts in general are mild, bro.

The one you're quoting was even imbued with humour.

Seems to me you pull the "overly sensitive" card whenever I open a can of whoop ass on your argument.

ps. that was humourous too. Lighten up!

Mappa said:
Do you have to bring everything back to hard wick, it does get a bit boring.

This garbage never fails to amuse me. How on earth does it get "boring" for you?

Someone forcing you to read my views, Clockwork Orange style? :hihi

Carter said:
My posts in general are mild, bro.

The one you're quoting was even imbued with humour.

Seems to me you pull the "overly sensitive" card whenever I open a can of whoop ass on your argument.

ps. that was humourous too. Lighten up!

Hilarious. Tell us some more about how Dimma's game plan is killin' da youth, that *smile* never gets old.

antman said:
Hilarious. Tell us some more about how Dimma's game plan is killin' da youth, that sh!t never gets old.

Agree.

turk-d-tiger said:
Yeah I do agree with what your saying, But there is just something a little different with this kid that just makes you think - He really does have something

I do think that he is a slow burn type of player who will take 1-2 years to build his fitness/tank and establish himself in the team but once he does, He could go on and become 1 of those players that are integral to the teams makeup

Not an athlete but a really good footballer

Agree, I think there is definitely something to work with, and it may take awhile to build his fitness. He appears a natural footballer from what i've seen in the AFL, I haven't seen much VFL form, but i liked the way he took the game on and had the confidence to play on.