Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Inside footy's rating of Matt

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117918/Matt-MCDONOUGH

As far as I am aware there is absolutely no basis for the thought he was a) wanting to go home or b) we shopped him around actively and got no takers.

The "he wants to go home" groundswell started as an idle thought on a pre thread and picked up steam from there.

Shown nothing at senior level close to what batch has. 1 year is. Plenty for him to make something of himself. The Madonna cheer squad reminds me of the old Danny Meyer cheer squad.

Massive pre season an he should be able to make the small forward his own for now, IMHO much more to work with then Gordon an Lloyd

Baloo said:
As far as I am aware there is absolutely no basis for the thought he was a) wanting to go home or b) we shopped him around actively and got no takers.

The "he wants to go home" groundswell started as an idle thought on a pre thread and picked up steam from there.

Shown nothing at senior level close to what batch has. 1 year is. Plenty for him to make something of himself. The Madonna cheer squad reminds me of the old Danny Meyer cheer squad.

Never a fan of Meyer, but I've seen McDonough play this year at VFL level. He has all the tools, and racks up numbers. He's quick, skilful, clever, can get the ball, and creative with ball in hand. He will be a solid B grade midfielder at worst. And I think he will be better than that.

I really like this kid and am really worried Richmond will lose him and it will bite us on the arse..

B2

Everyone is saying small forward.

Looks like leysy is the only one that would prefer him playing back. ???

One aspect of his game I think is currently underrated is his stoppage work. Did he play as much midfield in the VFL this year as he did last year? He was racking up the clearances in 2013, thought it more likely at that point that he'd make as an inside mid than a flanker. It's rare for a guy to have such nous inside the contest coupled with elite disposal.

Stylo said:
One aspect of his game I think is currently underrated is his stoppage work. Did he play as much midfield in the VFL this year as he did last year? He was racking up the clearances in 2013, thought it more likely at that point that he'd make as an inside mid than a flanker. It's rare for a guy to have such nous inside the contest coupled with elite disposal.

He played the first half of the year in the middle and the tail end of it up forward from memory.

I'd like to see him have a big preseason and force his way into our midfield rotation. We need mids, hopefully he pushes Grigg out of the side.

Leysy Days said:
Everyone is saying small forward.

Looks like leysy is the only one that would prefer him playing back. ???

Too small and slow for a back pocket. Natural instincts and goal sense makes him a Milne-y type of skilled player.

The_General said:
Too small and slow for a back pocket. Natural instincts and goal sense makes him a Milne-y type of skilled player.

Doesnt have the ability to get up and down the ground (total pre-req) under Dimma's gamestyle to play up forward General ILHO.

With zoning small down back is less an issue as well. Think he makes his name there, or as a mid.

The_General said:

If he was one tenth as good as Milne we would have a GEM.
General U have to be KIDDING. U must be taking the *smile* out of us.

I'm not taking the *smile*. I think his goal sense and creativity are Milne like. I'm not saying he's as good, but I think he has the instincts of a natural forward pocket.

As a backman,
He'd have to mind the little guys or those who aren't good overhead. I think many of those types would lose him with foot speed. I could see him in the middle though, if he improves his fitness.

Stylo said:
One aspect of his game I think is currently underrated is his stoppage work.

agree. from all reports the best football he has played has been in the midfield, mostly in 2013.
obviously fitness is a key to him playing there at afl but if he can build his tank i reckon he becomes part of the midfield rotation with plenty of time up forward.

The_General said:
I'm not saying he's as good, but I think he has the instincts of a natural forward pocket.

When he was swung forward late against North he knew all the forward leading patterns, he's a natural there. Was shifted there towards end of VFL season, kicked nearly 2 goals a game, will remain as a forward next year.

I'm with The General. Reminds me a lot of Milne. He may not give us similar output (few have matched Milne as a small forward), but I do have high hopes for him. Can play IMO.

TJsFurrow said:
I'm with The General. Reminds me a lot of Milne. He may not give us similar output (few have matched Milne as a small forward), but I do have high hopes for him. Can play IMO.
It's also worth remembering that Milne was a late bloomer. I think he was one of the rare ones Sheedy let go, because he didn't think he'd make it.

Unfortunately McDonagh will be left in the shade along with McBean.

A natural forward, elusive and smart.

Can't have those in a Hardwick side.

Dont see the Milne similarities myself.

Tried to think of a comparison and struggled.

Best I can come up with is a Darren Jarman, smart forward who can play midfield, plays tall for his height and is an exquisite kick.

Maybe Bruest is the next best comparison although I think Matt is more creative a better mark and a better kick!

Good point Cartman.

Given Jack Reiwoldt is therefore not a natural forward as he gets a game up front in Hardwick's team, I look forward to posts from you calling for Jack to be moved to the backline.