Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

lamb22 said:
Dont see the Milne similarities myself.

Tried to think of a comparison and struggled.

Best I can come up with is a Darren Jarman, smart forward who can play midfield, plays tall for his height and is an exquisite kick.

Maybe Bruest is the next best comparison although I think Matt is more creative a better mark and a better kick!

Chapman

When other teams are saying their young players are McDonough-like is when I'll get excited.
Right now though I am totally non plussed. Long way to go in a short time.

antman said:
Good point Cartman.

Given Jack Reiwoldt is therefore not a natural forward as he gets a game up front in Hardwick's team, I look forward to posts from you calling for Jack to be moved to the backline.

Blind Freddy knows he is a natural forward yet asked all too often to sacrifice this aspect of his game. Similiarly we all know that Dimma likes one deep key forward and the rest can be part of the press.

Surely you can do better than that? Then again, perhaps not :hihi

Carter said:
Blind Freddy knows he is a natural forward yet asked all too often to sacrifice this aspect of his game. Similiarly we all know that Dimma likes one deep key forward and the rest can be part of the press.

I had no problem with McDonough playing back for a while but i was also pleased he was moved forward in the VFL late in the season. My feeling is he is a forward who will pinch hit in the middle and if he does that he needs to learn to defend.

Different player I know but I put him in the Griffiths category. The first time i saw Griff i knew he could play, he had all the tools. That didn't mean he would become an top AFL player but that he could be one. I feel the same about McDonough because having watched him at VFL there is no doubt the kid can play and he has the ingredients. It's up to him and the club to develop him now.

If he wants it enough he will succeed imo.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Madonna has a future, but you've gotta love this thread. A pick 42 who has played 8 AFL games and not had the chance to show much yet, being compared to Milne, Jarman & Chapman. I hope he reads his thread, he will be rapt.

buenavista said:
Now don't get me wrong, I think Madonna has a future, but you've gotta love this thread. A pick 42 who has played 8 AFL games and not had the chance to show much yet, being compared to Milne, Jarman & Chapman. I hope he reads his thread, he will be rapt.

At least he's played some senior games. For a laugh check out the McHartCareyHirdBean thread.

Baloo said:
At least he's played some senior games. For a laugh check out the McHartCareyHirdBean thread.
or the historical Angus Graham threads !! ;D

Sintiger said:
or the historical Angus Graham threads !! ;D

Heh. Though those were very tongue in cheek for the most part. The McJesus threads are something entirely different.

Baloo said:
Heh. Though those were very tongue in cheek for the most part. The McJesus threads are something entirely different.
Now you tell me ! I thought all your Angus Graham posts were totally serious :eek:

Carter said:

Surely you can do better than that? Then again, perhaps not :hihi

Hey, I'm just asking for some consistency in your tales of the countless crimes against football you allege Dimma commits.

I suppose it is too much to ask.

antman said:
Hey, I'm just asking for some consistency in your tales of the countless crimes against football you allege Dimma commits.

I suppose it is too much to ask.

Dude, it's nice that you like football, so I'll explain patiently.

A team's game plan is everything. It directly affects not only the form of individuals, but their opportunity to assume roles within the senior structure.

Do not assume the likes of McDonagh languish in the twos for any other reason than game plan. I realize it's tempting for noobs to simply go for the 'he mustn't be good enough' line.

The game plan? Signed off by the head coach.

lamb22 said:
Dont see the Milne similarities myself.

Tried to think of a comparison and struggled.

Best I can come up with is a Darren Jarman, smart forward who can play midfield, plays tall for his height and is an exquisite kick.

Maybe Bruest is the next best comparison although I think Matt is more creative a better mark and a better kick!

Considering Bruest is probably the best small forward in the league and one of the most important players to a back to premiership side that's a fair rap.

I hope you're right. I actually rate Lloyd's smarts, goal instincts, skill and marking but seems his lack of pace has held him back playing as a forward in our system. How is that any different for McDonough? He's not quick at all.

Carter said:

A team's game plan is everything. It directly affects not only the form of individuals, but their opportunity to assume roles within the senior structure.

No, a team's game plan is a plan. A plan. Players must still execute the plan - they may be able to do this to a greater or lesser extent given their innate (or developed) strengths and form. A player's form may affect the execution of the plan. You could argue a game plan could affect a player's form over time - but then how did they get the good form that went bad in the first place? A game plan may certainly be better suited to certain types of players than others - a good coach will try to implement a winning game plan but must necessarily modify that plan to suit the innate strengths of those players.

So it's not at all the one way relationship that you suggest.

Do not assume the likes of McDonagh languish in the twos for any other reason than game plan. I realize it's tempting for noobs to simply go for the 'he mustn't be good enough' line.

I realise it's tempting for noobs to see it all as black and white - I don't. I'd reckon Madonna is selected (or not) on the basis of his form, fitness, development, who's playing well in the senior team or not, what role can he perform in the senior team given those in that team who are out of form and may be dropped, who the opposition is, how he could man up or not, and what the game plan (oh yeah there it is) is for that week and that opposition.

If your logic is right - if and when McDonough is ever selected, Dimma's monolithic yet somehow "incoherent" at the same time game plan must have changed. Because he doesn't fit the "current" game plan and never will.

In any case, McDonough got some games early in the season when we had the "bad" game plan, yet didn't get games later in the season when we had the "good" or at least "marginally less bad" game plan that won us games.

If it's all about the game plan as the reason for his non-selection, why was that Cartman?

Hopefully more than signed off, I'd hope the head coach actually has some say in developing the game plan. In business, those that "sign off" are usually not those that develop. I'm sure you knew that though, you seem to know about everything else :hihi

Carter said:

I suspect it is much more simple than that.

He is 180 cm and does not have elite speed. So he will struggle to play as a permanent forward, which means he needs to develop a genuine tank to play the high half forward role and compete with guys like Edwards and Gordon.

Like I said, McDonough's situation seems pretty simple. Get a tank, get a game.

antman said:
In any case, McDonough got some games early in the season when we had the "bad" game plan, yet didn't get games later in the season when we had the "good" or at least "marginally less bad" game plan that won us games.

If it's all about the game plan as the reason for his non-selection, why was that Cartman?

Psssst. Antman. Over here. I'll whisper it so no one else can hear. *McDonagh wasn't played forward in the seniors this year. At all. Dimma played him behind the ball where he diligently racked up tidy possessions but wasn't spectacular. Our structure doesn't allow for attacking small forwards. Another natural forward in Lloyd was dropped like a hot potato. Wasn't his fault. Game plan favours some but not others. Fact.*

Ahem. YES, ANTMAN, YOU'RE QUITE RIGHT. CARRY ON FORSOOTH.

josey said:
I suspect it is much more simple than that.

He is 180 cm and does not have elite speed. So he will struggle to play as a permanent forward, which means he needs to develop a genuine tank to play the high half forward role and compete with guys like Edwards and Gordon.

Like I said, McDonough's situation seems pretty simple. Get a tank, get a game.

Disagree. Play McDonagh deep with license to crumb and lead and you have 30 goals. Dimma knows this but values other things like ball retention and the press.

buenavista said:

Nobody has said he is or will be as good as those guys. It's just a game style comparison.

Carter said:
Disagree. Play McDonagh deep with license to crumb and lead and you have 30 goals. Dimma knows this but values other things like ball retention and the press.

I dunno.

Not too many small forwards in the AFL are able to rack up 30 goal years without genuine leg speed.

Also, as we all know it's also on important position defensively these days, which again requires speed. Could he put on the required pressure?

Stylo said:
Nobody has said he is or will be as good as those guys. It's just a game style comparison.

Precisely. You know what they say Stylo - garbage in garbage out.

josey said:
I dunno.

Not too many small forwards in the AFL are able to rack up 30 goal years without genuine leg speed.

Also, as we all know it's also on important position defensively these days, which again requires speed. Could he put on the required pressure?

We recruited him, Josey. Up to us to utilise his strengths.

I say play an open, structured forward line. This relentless obessession with forward pressure will burst some day. Why can't we offer something new like Port did this year?

We have a trio of small forwards - Lloyd, Plugga, Shed - who aren't gazelles. Lets find a way.