Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Great news! I'm not too worried about the 1 year, gives him a chance to build on senior form and hopefully bigger and better things.

St Kevin said:
Part of the trade for Dangerfield. :hihi

i believe that deal fell apart when the crows declared their 1st pick off limits.

Mcdonut deserved another year

of all the re-signings I'm troubled he only got the one year. If he breaks out we could've had him locked down on *smile* wages for at least another season!

Carter said:
of all the re-signings I'm troubled he only got the one year. If he breaks out we could've had him locked down on sh!t wages for at least another season!

Agree. Should've got 2.

1 is fine. they can always review it mid next season. It's not like he's shown THAT much.

Tigertool said:
He just signed on for another year. Thank goodness. Don't know why we couldn't have given him a two year contract though? We gave a two year to Batch.

Agree with this and surprised it took them so long to sign him.

Tigertool said:
He just signed on for another year. Thank goodness. Don't know why we couldn't have given him a two year contract though? We gave a two year to Batch.

Because Batch has shown infinitely more at AFL level than McD.

Interesting one!

Could be that McDonough received a shock that the SA clubs weren't that interested in him.
Big wake up call to put everything into the opportunity that he has with the RFC.

One year contract gives him every opportunity to show his true value.
At 180cm and 20yo, McDonough should be clicking now, if he has it or wants it.

Carter said:
of all the re-signings I'm troubled he only got the one year. If he breaks out we could've had him locked down on sh!t wages for at least another season!
Didn't hurt Griffiths.

Just has to keep improving, not a big ask I wouldn't have thought. He'll be given a near mortgage on the small forward role so the ball's in his court.

mad_doggy911 said:
Agree. Should've got 2.

Based on what?
He's played 8 games & struggled to make an impact, hardly the resume worthy of a good contract. If he can't step up to be capable of playing a role in the seniors next year then would be in the frame for delisting this time next year.

Rewarding players based on potential is one of the reasons we have been average for 30 years.

MB78 said:
I'm also very pleased to see him signed. If we are to move up the ladder we need blokes like Matt to step up.
I believe he can step up but first he needs to be given a shot. In the games he played This year he didn't do much wrong yet was the first to get dropped. He has pace and willingness to take the game on. He shows smarts and promise. And if given a decent go I think he will do well. But he needs a decent go at it. Hope he gets it

Phantom said:
At 180cm and 20yo, McDonough should be clicking now, if he has it or wants it.

Agree Phanto.
Maybe Dimma has played him out of position but his senior form this year was underwhelming.
1 year is absolutely ok.
Lets see what he's got. Prove yourself McD.

Tigers of Old said:
Agree Phanto.
Maybe Dimma has played him out of position but his senior form this year was underwhelming.
1 year is absolutely ok.
Lets see what he's got. Prove yourself McD.

I expect him to have a breakout year as a forward next year.

bullus_hit said:
Just has to keep improving, not a big ask I wouldn't have thought. He'll be given a near mortgage on the small forward role so the ball's in his court.
I thought that's why we recruited him, and to perhaps pinch-hit in the midfield

He'll be sick of the yo-yo-ing in and out of the 22, so I expect he'll be majorly up and about -if-he-wants-it-bad-enough-

There are a number of posts here impliedly bagging Madonna.

For the life of me I dont know why.

He is far ahead of where a pick 40 something with a bit of baby fat when he arrived should be.

I thought he'd be a medium/small forward who after some development would play some midfield.

Instead his development has had him play as the rebounding half back where he has shown real courage and ability in the air to complement his kicking skills.

That was a pleasant surprise.

Then they played him as a midfielder where he displayed grunt, an inside game and an ability to find the ball to complement his kicking skills.

That was a pleasant surpirse.

Then at the end of this year he went back to familiar surrounds as a half forward/wing and started to leverage his kicking skills into goals and goal assists.

He has played 8 games. He should have played at least twice as many if positions were picked on form.

The kid has nothing to apologise for in what he has brought to the club in his first two years.

Matt needs to work on his tank and strength so that he can maximise his potential.

Matt has played more VFL than he should have presumably to assist his all round development.

But he has been AFL readyish form about half way through 2013.

He just needs exposure and as I said before, physical conditioning and development.

I too would have preferred two years as this kid is a keeper.

lamb22 said:
There are a number of posts here impliedly bagging Madonna.

For the life of me I dont know why.

He is far ahead of where a pick 40 something with a bit of baby fat when he arrived should be.

I thought he'd be a medium/small forward who after some development would play some midfield.

Instead his development has had him play as the rebounding half back where he has shown real courage and ability in the air to complement his kicking skills.

That was a pleasant surprise.

Then they played him as a midfielder where he displayed grunt, an inside game and an ability to find the ball to complement his kicking skills.

That was a pleasant surpirse.

Then at the end of this year he went back to familiar surrounds as a half forward/wing and started to leverage his kicking skills into goals and goal assists.

He has played 8 games. He should have played at least twice as many if positions were picked on form.

The kid has nothing to apologise for in what he has brought to the club in his first two years.

Matt needs to work on his tank and strength so that he can maximise his potential.

Matt has played more VFL than he should have presumably to assist his all round development.

But he has been AFL readyish form about half way through 2013.

He just needs exposure and as I said before, physical conditioning and development.

I too would have preferred two years as this kid is a keeper.

That's a good post you've got yourself there, Lamby.