Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

buenavista said:
Disagree, I don't think of itself, it means much. We have only just re-signed Griffiths, McBean and Astbury and they would be a far more required players than McDonough. The club is working it's way through the list and it will be resolved before the deadline, which I think is end of October sometime.

I was being obtuse - I agree. All it means is that he hasn't signed YET - but he still might.

antman said:
I was being obtuse - I agree. All it means is that he hasn't signed YET - but he still might.

Agree with that bit ;D

blx said:
If we lose Madonna I'll be very :mad: :mad: :mad:

We toss Madonna out and bring in Newman who does sweet FA except fall over!

Newman announces he is staying and Madonna is right to feel his chances are best served elsewhere because Newy will always get games ahead of him even when it is clear Madonna is the better form player!

Newman is cooked, on the wane, past his peak and in 2016 will be gawn but what do we do...hang on to him cause he is a 'nice guy'

Madonna is a promising youngster on the up and in 2015 will be right to go yet i looks like he will now seek somewhere else!

Unfortunately, its the Richmond way...

Let's get this right, it's all on PRE, Madonna is a forward, Newman is a defender. The Newman decision has nothing to do with whatever decision will be made on Madonna.

IF Madonna is not at Tigerland next year, it will be because of one of two reasons. Either he wants out (and there is a rumour he wants to return to SA, although it is only that a rumour), or the combined powers that be at Tigerland don't think he is the type of player that fits into their required structure.

If you want to have a grumble over something that hasn't happened yet, have a grumble about Gordon or Sheds because it is them that are holding what you consider is Madonna's rightful place in the team, but personally I think it is better we all enjoy the Elimination Final instead of hypothetical negatives.

Dimma tends to introduce young players via the backline

eg Conca, Helbig, McDono, Vlastuin, Ellis etc, even if longer term they play elsewhere

Newman in the 22 does block this avenue for young players

I don't mind Newman playing on, mainly for the maturity of the group, but I would be very surprised if he plays more than 10 AFL games next year

McDono will get opportunities next year - its up to him to grasp them

Ice said:
Dimma tends to introduce young players via the backline

eg Conca, Helbig, McDono, Vlastuin, Ellis etc, even if longer term they play elsewhere

Newman in the 22 does block this avenue for young players

I don't mind Newman playing on, mainly for the maturity of the group, but I would be very surprised if he plays more than 10 AFL games next year

McDono will get opportunities next year - its up to him to grasp them

I can see what you are getting at but doesn't really hold water, e.g. two new players introduced this year Lloyd & Gordon didn't come in through the back line. Defenders or mids come through the back line but not forwards. Madonna did spend time in the back line learning defensive structures and I guess giving the coaches an opportunity to see where he would fit best, but has been playing forward in the VFL for a while now.

I certainly agree with you that Newman will only play a few games when the match committee think he can add something or if there is an injury. I am sure he won't be a walk up start next year.

buenavista said:
I can see what you are getting at but doesn't really hold water, e.g. two new players introduced this year Lloyd & Gordon didn't come in through the back line. Defenders or mids come through the back line but not forwards. Madonna did spend time in the back line learning defensive structures and I guess giving the coaches an opportunity to see where he would fit best, but has been playing forward in the VFL for a while now.

I certainly agree with you that Newman will only play a few games when the match committee think he can add something or if there is an injury. I am sure he won't be a walk up start next year.
A difference between McDonough and the 2 players you mention is that they were both older and more physically mature, so had already developed as forwards (Lloyd's big claim to fame was that he kicked over 100 for Deniliquin). McDonough was generally used out of defence according to how Hardwick likes to bring his young players through.

CarnTheTiges said:
A difference between McDonough and the 2 players you mention is that they were both older and more physically mature, so had already developed as forwards (Lloyd's big claim to fame was that he kicked over 100 for Deniliquin). McDonough was generally used out of defence according to how Hardwick likes to bring his young players through.

True and he did play 7 games in defence in the AFL and also in the VFL early season. He has now progressed to his natural position in the VFL and the position he was drafted as, up forward. It was also acknowledged by Stig, the club sees him as a forward and Newman's decision to ply on has no affect on Madonna.

Simple scenario, if Madonna wants to stay and the club sees a role or position for him, then he will be signed to a new contract fairly soon as obviously the club is working through a whole group of contracts at the moment. If one of the two parties is unhappy then a conscious uncoupling will occur and all parties involved will move on to more relevant factors in their lives.
I hope he stays, I think he will stay, but if it don't happen then the world still keeps turning. Right now we've got a final against Pordadalayde that's far more important to the state of my blood pressure.

Must get games into him next year. Composure is what we lack and he has it in spades. Pretty skillful unit too.

Newman going around again apparently won't impact on him getting games so where does Madonna fit in then? HF/Mid?

With Madonna getting a good preseason in I reckon he plays through the middle and high half forward.

mad_doggy911 said:
Must get games into him next year. Composure is what we lack and he has it in spades. Pretty skillful unit too.

With Madonna getting a good preseason in I reckon he plays through the middle and high half forward.

We have to get him fitter as a first priority assuming he is on our list. Then I would like to see him in the forward line with stints in the middle.

MB78 said:
We have to get him fitter as a first priority assuming he is on our list. Then I would like to see him in the forward line with stints in the middle.

Yep provided we resign him needs to have a massive preseason.

He's got the scope to be a valuable and damaging player.

No chatter at all about him at all. You'd think if he wanted to go home we'd have heard something by now. Maybe we are the ones looking to move him on? I'd have thought he would have been a monty for a two year deal from us if he was keen.

Tigertool said:
No chatter at all about him at all. You'd think if he wanted to go home we'd have heard something by now. Maybe we are the ones looking to move him on? I'd have thought he would have been a monty for a two year deal from us if he was keen.

It's been some sort of myth all along and am not sure who or why it was started. Look at the instagram photos and you can see Madonna looks happy with his Tiger mates around him. As bad as the Griffo walking out ala Greenwood myth.

TigerForce said:
It's been some sort of myth all along and am not sure who or why it was started. Look at the instagram photos and you can see Madonna looks happy with his Tiger mates around him. As bad as the Griffo walking out ala Greenwood myth.

It was probably me. I've always had a feeling he'd head home at some point. I'd have thought if we were keeping him or he wanted to stay we would have re-signed him by this point of the year. McIntosh has been re-signed and he hasn't played any football yet from the same draft as Madonna's and he's actually played AFL. What's the hold up?

This kid is a beautiful kick.

A guy that kicks through the ball at a shot from 45 or 50 on a tight angle and it never looks like deviating.

Always had the skills but is way ahead of what I thought he'd be like. Can mix and scrap with the best of them, can find the ball and is supersmart with it.

What he needs is time on the track working on his tank and time in the gym working on his strength and conditioning.

Must keep!

Agree with the above. One that was always going to take time to come good. Once he knows he belongs at the high level he will vindicate our decision to select him. As you said, some hard track time, another BIG pre season and we might just have that elusive inside 50 player we have been yearning for.

Tigertool said:
It was probably me. I've always had a feeling he'd head home at some point. I'd have thought if we were keeping him or he wanted to stay we would have re-signed him by this point of the year. McIntosh has been re-signed and he hasn't played any football yet from the same draft as Madonna's and he's actually played AFL. What's the hold up?
I think people were getting concerned that he was getting sick of being overlooked later in the season and knowing he was from SA, wondered about the go home factor and the lure of playing for Port.

lamb22 said:
This kid is a beautiful kick.

A guy that kicks through the ball at a shot from 45 or 50 on a tight angle and it never looks like deviating.

Always had the skills but is way ahead of what I thought he'd be like. Can mix and scrap with the best of them, can find the ball and is supersmart with it.

What he needs is time on the track working on his tank and time in the gym working on his strength and conditioning.

Must keep!
Agree with all that & will add that he is very brave with his kicks,esp kicking out from a behind, always looking to attack