Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Barnzy said:
What a crazy post. He barely got any opportunities, he was in and out besides a string of three games in which he averaged 14 odd disposals in an unnatural role off a back flank and looked composed but probably not quite ready.

Even so, 20 year kid doesn't dominate when he plays a few games we trade him? Crazy.

I said I expect him to be traded not wanted him to be traded.

If he wants to go home he will. He has no trade value, regardless of his "potential".

Tiges may look to offload him for a late pick they wont use.

Would be a shame though, he has some talent.

Give him number 23 as a sign of faith

Stylo said:
Give him number 23 as a sign of faith
Yeah, I was thinking now that Jacko had gone that RFC would be saying "there's a spot open for you Matthew"

Tigerflag2008 said:
One of the few at VFL level that I am confident can step up to be a solid b-grade player. Would be a pity to lose him, would be lucky to get a second round pick for him in a trade
Even worse let Port turn him into another ex RFC winner

Tames said:
If he wants to go home he will. He has no trade value, regardless of his "potential".

Tiges may look to offload him for a late pick they wont use.

Would be a shame though, he has some talent.

He has some value. He has been one of the best forwards in the last month of the VFL comp.

Hasn't had any major injury worries to speak of, has some senior games under his belt.

If one of the Port clubs really want him it is plausible we will get a pick in the 30's as a trade, or could possibly upgrade one of our picks.

SkillzThatKillz said:
He has some value. He has been one of the best forwards in the last month of the VFL comp.

Hasn't had any major injury worries to speak of, has some senior games under his belt.

If one of the Port clubs really want him it is plausible we will get a pick in the 30's as a trade, or could possibly upgrade one of our picks.

Good VFL form doesn't translate to trade value. He's a third rounder pick who's played 5 games of AFL in two years. I really rate Madonna, but unfortunately his open market trade value won't even see us break even. I think he'll get us pick 50.

Tigertool said:
Good VFL form doesn't translate to trade value. He's a third rounder pick who's played 5 games of AFL in two years. I really rate Madonna, but unfortunately his open market trade value won't even see us break even. I think he'll get us pick 50.

Adelaide were interested in him in his draft year.

Depends how much he is wanted I suppose.

Tigertool said:

It comes down to how much other clubs rate him, and I'm willing to bet most would see more upside in him than your dime a dozen star VFL inside mid.

He has traits that set him apart from VFL standard which he's displayed consistently for two years. Elite, I mean elite, foot skills, great hands, good evasiveness, good footy smarts... You can't buy that stuff cheap.

A pick in the 30s is not unrealistic.

Is he definitely gone? Wouldn't the retirement of another veteran player present an opportunity with someone with McDonough's talent? I agree that if he wants to go home, you can't stop him, but you can make whoever he goes to pay for it.

CarnTheTiges said:
Is he definitely gone? Wouldn't the retirement of another veteran player present an opportunity with someone with McDonough's talent? I agree that if he wants to go home, you can't stop him, but you can make whoever he goes to pay for it.

Not definitely gone however wants more playing opportunities.

Had good form towards the end of the VFL season up forward.

He should be in our plans for next year.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Adelaide were interested in him in his draft year.

Depends how much he is wanted I suppose.

Yet Adelaide gave us the pick in the 40s we got Madonna for and took the Gus Bus off our hands.

I dont think we would get anywhere near what he is worth in a trade if he was to go. We dont have much leverage at all in this situation. Hope he stays.

Tigertool said:
The value isn't really up to us. Out of contract, little known player. It's a shame because I'm sure he's going to be a fantastic player.

But if he wants to go back to Adelaide then some power swings back to us as he lands in the draft and could go anywhere

is this stuff all speculation, or is it actually based on something he has said?

Baloo said:
Yet Adelaide gave us the pick in the 40s we got Madonna for and took the Gus Bus off our hands.

Gus just got delisted...maybe the Crows want McDonough back now?

Tigertool said:
I reckon it speaks volumes that Matty wasn't one of the signed players tonight.

Yeah it speaks volumes that he hasn't signed yet.

antman said:
Yeah it speaks volumes that he hasn't signed yet.

Disagree, I don't think of itself, it means much. We have only just re-signed Griffiths, McBean and Astbury and they would be a far more required players than McDonough. The club is working it's way through the list and it will be resolved before the deadline, which I think is end of October sometime.

If we lose Madonna I'll be very :mad: :mad: :mad:

We toss Madonna out and bring in Newman who does sweet FA except fall over!

Newman announces he is staying and Madonna is right to feel his chances are best served elsewhere because Newy will always get games ahead of him even when it is clear Madonna is the better form player!

Newman is cooked, on the wane, past his peak and in 2016 will be gawn but what do we do...hang on to him cause he is a 'nice guy'

Madonna is a promising youngster on the up and in 2015 will be right to go yet i looks like he will now seek somewhere else!

Unfortunately, its the Richmond way...