Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

RFC_Official said:
He's been playing forward the last 6-8 weeks or so in VFL and long-term he's seen as a forward. Newman playing on shouldn't impact him at all.

Wasn't Newman earmarked to play forward at the start of this season? But it didn't work out?

tigerlove said:
Wasn't Newman earmarked to play forward at the start of this season? But it didn't work out?
Newie's played his entire career as a defender sneaking through the lines for a cheap cheat goal at times, was hoped he could fudge a forward flankers role for the year. Madonna's played as a forward during his junior years, we've used him off the back line n mid at magoos level plus off the back at seniors simply to round out his footy development. Get his defensive aspects up for regular senior footy, let him see the game unfold before him, get his tank up a bit n involved more deeply in games.
Madonna's been back playing his more natural role in the forward half n that's where the club expect him to play seniors when he steps back up next year.

I reckon it speaks volumes that Matty wasn't one of the signed players tonight. I desperately hope the club is still working something out, but I'm not exactly full of confidence.

I'd prefer to keep him but if he goes, I hope we don't undervalue him in a trade.

A trade for Mitch Grigg from the Crows or Neade from Port.

would be really disappointed if he left.

the type of deadly small forward / mid we desperately need moving forward.

No surprise they'd sign up Ellis, Griffo (yey, at last!) and McJesus before McD. And they must see greater upside in McIntosh.

But, geez, I've liked what I've seen from McD - let's hope he's next in line.

hope we keep MattyMcD. earlier in the year Hardwick was full of praise for him but not much said since.

BrisTiger24 said:
I'd prefer to keep him but if he goes, I hope we don't undervalue him in a trade.

A trade for Mitch Grigg from the Crows or Neade from Port.

8 AFL games in total, he won't demand a premium at the trade table. There would have to be a lot more added to get either Grigg or Neade.

fact is donut didn't take his opportunities when they were presented to him this season.

If one of the Adelaide clubs offer a good enough deal, I expect him to be traded

BrisTiger24 said:

The value isn't really up to us. Out of contract, little known player. It's a shame because I'm sure he's going to be a fantastic player.

nikolasmia said:
fact is donut didn't take his opportunities when they were presented to him this season.

If one of the Adelaide clubs offer a good enough deal, I expect him to be traded

I thought he did alright but the club has said since they were playing him back for his defensive side improvement and then was sent back to VFL to play forward again. There seems to be a plan and I'd personally like to see that plan completed before letting him go. I hope he stays on another year but if an SA team makes an offer too good to refuse then you'd have to consider. I doubt it though.

Tigertool said:
I reckon it speaks volumes that Matty wasn't one of the signed players tonight. I desperately hope the club is still working something out, but I'm not exactly full of confidence.

I thought exactly the same thing

smokin joe said:
McDonough for White ? :spin :spin

wouldn't be the stupidest idea

nikolasmia said:

What a crazy post. He barely got any opportunities, he was in and out besides a string of three games in which he averaged 14 odd disposals in an unnatural role off a back flank and looked composed but probably not quite ready.

Even so, 20 year kid doesn't dominate when he plays a few games we trade him? Crazy.

Barnzy said:
What a crazy post. He barely got any opportunities, he was in and out besides a string of three games in which he averaged 14 odd disposals in an unnatural role off a back flank and looked composed but probably not quite ready.

Even so, 20 year kid doesn't dominate when he plays a few games we trade him? Crazy.

Agreed. Hope we keep him, will be a player.

One of the few at VFL level that I am confident can step up to be a solid b-grade player. Would be a pity to lose him, would be lucky to get a second round pick for him in a trade

To cut Matty some slack we were playing atrocious during the periods when he was playing - hard to find your way when the midfield was being ordinary and the ball was spending a lot of time in the defence. I think if he had been playing through this whole winning streak the situation could be different.

I hope he stays, to much promise to lose him after 2 years - lord knows we've hung to others longer than that.