Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

RedanTiger said:
So Miles forced his way into the GWS side?
Oh, you mean since he got to Richmond and only after Astbury and King went down with long term injury.

Miles couldn't get a game because there were players in front of him at GWS.
He was delisted because he couldn't get a game.
McDonough can't get a game because players like Newman are in front of him.

And rightly so, Plugger is aptly named as he is unfit & cannot run games out,
I reckon he has a future but to blame the signing of Newy on him wanting to leave is ludicrous

Ian4 said:
IMO he's gone after the newman announcement today. if i were in his shoes i'd want out, thats for sure.

yeah, the club signed another player. I'M OUTTA HERE

Ian4 said:
IMO he's gone after the newman announcement today. if i were in his shoes i'd want out, thats for sure.
He's been playing forward the last 6-8 weeks or so in VFL and long-term he's seen as a forward. Newman playing on shouldn't impact him at all.

RFC_Official said:
He's been playing forward the last 6-8 weeks or so in VFL and long-term he's seen as a forward. Newman playing on shouldn't impact him at all.
Stig, go bash some heads and come back with the news Donuts and Griffo have signed new contracts.

Hi Stig... Has McDonough signed with us for 2015?

RedanTiger said:
McDonough can't get a game because players like Newman are in front of him.

Who else other than Newman do you consider front of him stopping him from getting a game?

I keep reading that Newman is keeping him out of the side, but McDonough was drafted as a forward and in the 2's he's been playing forward and through the midfield, so how is Newman taking his position?

RFC_Official said:

Thanks Stig, must have come through just as I was typing the same thing.

Tigers of Old said:
Agree this is the news we want to hear re contracts.

Are you sure TOO? We just had some news on Newies contract and not too many people appear to want to have heard that ;D

A couple of guys on BF reckon the Crows and Port are both very keen on him.

RFC_Official said:

is that the official line from the club? tell them to sack the list manager after todays newman announcement.

Stylo said:
A couple of guys on BF reckon the Crows and Port are both very keen on him.

McDonough has shown some good form in the VFL, especially in the last 6 weeks or so and whilst playing up forward.

Wonder if the Adelaide clubs will enter a slight bidding war and we end up nabbing a pick in the 30's for him?

Achievable, I reckon.

SkillzThatKillz said:
McDonough has shown some good form in the VFL, especially in the last 6 weeks or so and whilst playing up forward.

Wonder if the Adelaide clubs will enter a slight bidding war and we end up nabbing a pick in the 30's for him?

Achievable, I reckon.

Can't see it. Picked at 42, played about 6 games and out of contract. We'll be lucky to break even.

Ian4 said:
is that the official line from the club? tell them to sack the list manager after todays newman announcement.
Nasty of the club to deliberately stuff up the rest of this year n all of next year for you Binman. How dare they give Newy another season after you'd campaigned so hard to Bin him.

SkillzThatKillz said:

Achievable, I reckon.

I'd want more than a pick in the 30s skillz. 20s minimum. If he requests a trade we'd be hard pressed but I'd be asking for Adelaide's second rounder.

Stylo said:
I'd want more than a pick in the 30s skillz. 20s minimum. If he requests a trade we'd be hard pressed but I'd be asking for Adelaide's second rounder.

That might be what you want but we are no chance of a pick in the 20's. Polec got Brissy pick 21 last year even with a proper bidding war from Port and the Crows.

Polec was a higher draft pick (Pick 6) and had played more games. Pick in the 20's can be nipped in the bud right now IMO. Non issue anyway ATM, he hasn't left yet.

Hasn't even been able to crack a regular game in the AFL. Certainly not going to get a premium pick for him if he did go. I'd prefer to try and keep him, he still has potential and is young.

Have no doubt if he has a big pre season he'll be looking to build himself a small forward / mid role for next season. The club's simply been doing a heap of development work on him this year. He's had a taste of seniors off the half back line, spent some time working through the mid field and also played his more usual forward role the last six or eight weeks. Learn the game plan, learn the running patterns n structures at VFL level where it's not quite so important to win, but crucial to learn the senior game requirements.
Madonna n Beanie will be fine for next year, they're being educated properly in our own magoos team as the club has been wanting to do for some time.

Surely if he decides to leave it would be for going home reasons, rather than not getting a gane in the 1s. He is a second year , 20 year old, pick 40 odd player who us learning the game, and the RFC has done well to give him the exposure so far. I can't believe Newman's signing up for another year would have any influence on his decision.

I would be disappointed to see him go regardless

recent points that are valid - he is only 20, he will only leave if homesick, and he is a forward and has stated so himself. all the garble about Newman keeping him out is rubbish.