Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Jason King said:
10 unbelievable possessions. Tis a pitty blokes like Arnot get judged differently and have much greater impacts on the game. I am not saying he us a dud either.

Players only get judged differently while they are in the VFL and are considered our saviours, when they come up to the AFL you will still get some on here calling them dud's, spud's, retread's or retard's and demanding they get thrown back to the VFL after a couple of games.

As CC Tiger said, frustrating club, frustrating supporters!

Reckon many are being overly hard on McDonough.

It is a lot to expect a 20 yo boy, with less than 10 senior games of AFL, in his first real season of AFL footy, to be holding down one of the most demanding and accountable positions in the team - the small back pocket.

At most clubs, this position is held by those with a few years experience.

Again, this may be a case of expectations beyond that capable of a junior player.

Jason King said:
10 unbelievable possessions. Tis a pitty blokes like Arnot get judged differently and have much greater impacts on the game. I am not saying he us a dud either.
Arnot had 8 disposals last time he played, and rarely gets much more than 15 in the twos. McD was knocking up 30+ last year.

This kid will be a good player. Not the problem.

spook said:
Arnot had 8 disposals last time he played, and rarely gets much more than 15 in the twos. McD was knocking up 30+ last year.

This kid will be a good player. Not the problem.

He had a bad game and was dropped, funny how that shouldn't apply to this kid. That's my point.

Jason King said:
He had a bad game and was dropped, funny how that shouldn't apply to this kid. That's my point.
McD played on a very good small forward in Windowlicker and did ok. Arnot plays as a fairly unaccountable mid and doesn't get enough of the ball.

Barnzy said:
Play him as a forward for *smile* sake.

Totally agree. He has a long long way to go and his skill level has been disappointing but if he is going to make it this is where it will be.

Supercoach trying to show everyone how clever he is by trying to make a player something he is not.

Thought Plugger was ok last night.

Had some goals kicked on him, but think its tough to expect him to be learning to play defence in our side at the moment.

Prepared to take the game on, can kick both feet, but definitely needs to build a tank and improve his core strength. That can come.

Would like to see him given a chance forward and through the middle.

Keep playing McDonough for the rest of the season, no matter the results. And give him a crack as playing as a small forward.

Bullarto Tiger said:
Keep playing McDonough for the rest of the season, no matter the results. And give him a crack as playing as a small forward.

Agree

In time I think this kid could play off HB, Midfield and Fwd.

He's a keeper but *smile* how many spastics need to go before him.

If he'd been dropped after the Essendon game - fair enough. Madonna was well beaten.

Last week Madonna worked like a slave. Every time he got the ball he went through the line. He would not give the ball off until he'd drawn at least one opponent and then, often, two. He almost always found a team-mate, close by hand because he can't use it long by hand under pressure. And his kicking was good.

He looked hopelessly slow, physically weak. He was mauled.

No coach could have asked him to do more than he tried to do. He came up short. I admire the way he did that.

Dyer'ere said:
If he'd been dropped after the Essendon game - fair enough. Madonna was well beaten.

Last week Madonna worked like a slave. Every time he got the ball he went through the line. He would not give the ball off until he'd drawn at least one opponent and then, often, two. He almost always found a team-mate, close by hand because he can't use it long by hand under pressure. And his kicking was good.

He looked hopelessly slow, physically weak. He was mauled.

No coach could have asked him to do more than he tried to do. He came up short. I admire the way he did that.
I had to read this twice. Should be given a couple of games up forward simply because we are crying out for a small fwd

Furious that he is dropped for Newman.

Soft weak option of a coach devoid of bravery and a vision for the future.

Merveille said:
I had to read this twice. Should be given a couple of games up forward simply because we are crying out for a small fwd

Not sure about that, Melveille. Back pocket is a lot easier to play than forward pocket. He did well in doing what any coach would ask in the easier possie.

SCOOP said:
Furious that he is dropped for Newman.

Soft weak option of a coach devoid of bravery and a vision for the future.

Likewise.

Probably nothing more than another youngster needing a bit of a spell so that we don't break him from the crap footy we are playing. Kids got some senior miles in his legs n he'll more than likely get a few more later this year.
No surprise to see a few older seniors get a final lap or two of the dance floor while also getting enough of a look at some fringies to see who gets an invite to next years parties.

TigerMasochist said:
Probably nothing more than another youngster needing a bit of a spell so that we don't break him from the crap footy we are playing. Kids got some senior miles in his legs n he'll more than likely get a few more later this year.
No surprise to see a few older seniors get a final lap or two of the dance floor while also getting enough of a look at some fringies to see who gets an invite to next years parties.
Who are the fringies that we are looking at this week? A. Edwards or S.Hampson?

frawleyudud said:
Who are the fringies that we are looking at this week? A. Edwards or S.Hampson?

Don't want to answer for TM, but my fringies this week would be Batchelor, Dea & Petterd

I actually thought Batch looked OK lady week. Realise his form in the reggies was not flash but his intercept marking was good.

Maybe he looked OK because those around him were that bad in comparison ???