Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

McD is brave and skillful two traits that aren't exactly found in gay abandon among our back six

Kaelan said:
gay abandon among our back six

theres more gay abandon in our back six currently, than the Oxford St. RSPCA shelter.

Dyer'ere said:
Not sure about that, Melveille. Back pocket is a lot easier to play than forward pocket. He did well in doing what any coach would ask in the easier possie.

Yes I agree, but apparently he played very good footy as a junior up forward. At least worth a pinch hit for a couple of games given our dearth..

Am also amazed Lennon wasnt rested before him

TigerMasochist said:
Probably nothing more than another youngster needing a bit of a spell so that we don't break him from the crap footy we are playing. Kids got some senior miles in his legs n he'll more than likely get a few more later this year.
No surprise to see a few older seniors get a final lap or two of the dance floor while also getting enough of a look at some fringies to see who gets an invite to next years parties.

To me our 'fringies' would be from Helbig, O'Hanlon, Elton, Arnot and Darrou, not Newman or Hampson or Grimes or AEdwards. IMO not one of these selections is based on 'next year', or where we are/ need to head as a club for our future success.

This kind of reminds me of what happened with Miles this year. Took overly long (IMO) to upgrade him, should have been done when Kingy went down, and then weeks to actually get selected. Once he was selected he showed why he should have been given a shot long before aaand the coach comes out with lines like "he just showed what a quality player he is and why we picked him for the game..." Serial?

SCOOP said:
Furious that he is dropped for Newman.

Soft weak option of a coach devoid of bravery and a vision for the future.

Was he dropped for Newman or for Arsewards. As a junior forward McD played a similar role.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Was he dropped for Newman or for Arsewards. As a junior forward McD played a similar role.

Has played in the backline all year. It's a straight swap. If Newman plays as the sub, it's even worse.

How Newman wasn't made to play a half or three quarters in the VFL is beyond me. Huge risk him coming back.

SCOOP said:
Has played in the backline all year. It's a straight swap. If Newman plays as the sub, it's even worse.

How Newman wasn't made to play a half or three quarters in the VFL is beyond me. Huge risk him coming back.
Especially at his age and given what happened last year when he played in the EF. He wasn't match fit. However we MUST give him EVERY opportunity to play on next year. This is a VITAL part of the team's forward direction.

Just resting the young fella for a week

Mappa said:
Just resting the young fella for a week
So he'll be straight back in next week, then? Who makes way for him, another youngster? Lennon? Miles maybe? Can't possibly drop players like A Edwards and Newman who have no future.

I havent seen anything from this young man that warrants selection off half back, but seeing as the season is done what is the point of not giving him an extended go in the forward lines? More meaningless wins that just hurt our draft order?

Jason King said:
I havent seen anything from this young man that warrants selection off half back, but seeing as the season is done what is the point of not giving him an extended go in the forward lines? More meaningless wins that just hurt our draft order?
My hope is that the ins are all so poor that it will actually benefit our position in the draft.

This kid is good and will be a fine player. Just compared his averages with some GWS high draft picks and for a total of 7 games at 20 years old he is batting well above his draft position. Early call but I reckon Jackson has picked a beauty here. May have to wait a few more years to see him really shine but he will be a good'un.

Stats-wise, McDonough is well ahead of where Newman was at the same age.

He's clean (around 80% efficiency), is tough, plays with urgency, and can break a line. Will only improve.

Yep. Omit.

rhul said:
Stats-wise, McDonough is well ahead of where Newman was at the same age.

He's clean (around 80% efficiency), is tough, plays with urgency, and can break a line. Will only improve.

Yep. Omit.
I hear he needed a rest.

Just give him a crack up forward where I believe he could be quite a dynamic player.

Needed to be dropped for Newman, because we're going to draw on Newman's experience today. I'm not sure where that experience was before Newman copped the injury. Maybe he can turn it on and off like a tap?

He has done enough the last two weeks in the VFL to come back. He needs to be played across the midfield and forward of cente. He could be rotated with Edwards between forward and midfield. Time to have a good look at him.

As long as he is fit, just keep selecting him for the remainder of the season.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matt_McDonough.html

Quite reasonable stats for a junior footballer at AFL level.

His only single digit disp game was one where he only spent 37% of the game on the ground.

Certainly deserves another go at it.