Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Would prefer to see McDonough play up forward of he is to keep getting a game.
Seems to have a bit of go in him and a bit of flair. Reckon playing him down back is cruelling him. There is just too much damn heat down there given the team's disappointing mediocre performances.

I fail to see the love for this bloke. Yet another player who gets hardly any possies and doesn't do anything when he does get them. I know he is basically a rookie but we cant afford to carry this when there are so many other ineffectual players on the ground.

Jason King said:
I fail to see the love for this bloke. Yet another player who gets hardly any possies and doesn't do anything when he does get them. I know he is basically a rookie but we cant afford to carry this when there are so many other ineffectual players on the ground.

Agree just dont understand the love for this guy. Riddled with errors. Poor disposal.

With Dea in the team, I think McDonough needs to play some VFL.

SkillzThatKillz said:
With Dea in the team, I think McDonough needs to play some VFL.

Both trhese DUDS need to play in the VFL. Bring back Batch.

Looking a very ordinary footballer. Slow, average skills, really doesn't do much.

Should enjoy a 200 plus game career at Richmond; the home of AFL mediocrity.

At least chuck him up forward for a few games and see how he gives it a crack.
McDonough may not prove to be anything long-term, but crucifying his young career down back is nonsense in my book.
He seems lively and has a bit of go in him and he does seem to have some instinct for the game. He came to RFC as a forward so let's see what he can do playing in such a position. Give him a little bit of freedom and he could be handy at the fall of the ball in the forward 50.
Maybe I am just clutching at straws, but there would be several players I would drop before him.

Winderlich is a pretty dangerous forward and he was completely shut out of it by McDonough. I thought her more than did his job.

Have to laugh at some of the post on here. The guy is in his second year of AFL and is going ok but some are expecting him to be BOG week in week out. Our main problem is confidence and you want to through a kid back to the VFL after 3 games? That will certainly help his confidence. ::)

Need to keep playing him. Only way to see if he's up to the level. Should also have a run up forward - that's what he was recruited as.

WesternTiger said:
Have to laugh at some of the post on here. The guy is in his second year of AFL and is going ok but some are expecting him to be BOG week in week out. Our main problem is confidence and you want to through a kid back to the VFL after 3 games? That will certainly help his confidence. ::)
:hihi got a laugh, you hear play the bloody kids, 2 games in you hear "are his a dud" yep we are a frustrating club, but geez us supporters are a perfect match

He is doing ok... there are a lot worse than him... a lot more experienced footballers by the way!

let him play at geelong well see what you think of him then.

would it be so hard for Dimma to play him in the position that got him drafted ..up forward. Case in point Brad Shepard #5 pick for the eagles , not worth pick #5 , none the less was drafted as a rebounding HBF. Worsfold played him everywhere but there and he was looking for an out prior to the appointment of Simpson. New coach has played him as surprise surprise a rebounding hbf and he is output has improved markedly. granted he has not morphed into Guy mckenna but has played at a level well above what he had dished up in the past

Hahaha wtf, second year player who has actually shown a bit being written off as a dud on here. Unbelievable.

Rancey18 said:
Hahaha wtf, second year player who has actually shown a bit being written off as a dud on here. Unbelievable.

10 unbelievable possessions. Tis a pitty blokes like Arnot get judged differently and have much greater impacts on the game. I am not saying he us a dud either.

The people bagging him are probably the same people screaming play the kids week after week. I can understand it, they just want wins, but you can't expect every player to be a superstar every week from their first game and then on. McDonough deserves a long extended run in the seniors. It's not like there are really that many in the VFL banging the door down to replace him.

CarnTheTiges said:
The people bagging him are probably the same people screaming play the kids week after week. I can understand it, they just want wins, but you can't expect every player to be a superstar every week from their first game and then on. McDonough deserves a long extended run in the seniors. It's not like there are really that many in the VFL banging the door down to replace him.
Correct

Play him as a forward for *smile* sake.