Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Does 2 things that no one else in the back 6 does ...can take a contested grab and kick on both feet

He did more then Newman, Morris, Chaplin & Edwards with the time he had on the ground.
Play the kids

Kaelan said:
Does 2 things that no one else in the back 6 does ...can take a contested grab and kick on both feet

Yes he took a very good contested mark against the Hawks which made me think that he might be able to play the small defender role. I'm not sure what his pace and agility is like, but if it's ok it would be worth a try. I would like to eventually see him in the midfield though.

That contested mark showed me why he was such a good mid size marking forward as a junior. Could be our Chris Mayne but we want him to be a running HB. Make sense of that.

BrisTiger24 said:
That contested mark showed me why he was such a good mid size marking forward as a junior. Could be our Chris Mayne but we want him to be a running HB. Make sense of that.

i guess the club thinks that if all our players can play defensively, they will lock the ball in wherever they play.

If they have it we are all defenders
if we have it we are all attacking

PS remember Matts screamer in the prac match against essendon a couple of months ago?

Mayne ? Too small and completely different. Just needs continuity and TBH I was a little disappointed in his cameo appearance on the weekend. Also he was a smart forward now playing back

GEDS1 said:
Mayne ? Too small and completely different. Just needs continuity and TBH I was a little disappointed in his cameo appearance on the weekend. Also he was a smart forward now playing back

Maybe a bit smaller than Mayne. But from what i saw of him as a junior, he kicked more of his goals on the lead rather than crumb/snaps so i think he could work in the Mayne mould. Medhurst would be the better example from recent history.

I think if he pans out, he will end up being a bit like Tom Rockliff, who was an undersized marking junior forward, and has now become a gun onballer. I think he'll work his way into the midfield sooner rather than later. I'm a big fan of Plugga.

St Kevin said:
I think if he pans out, he will end up being a bit like Tom Rockliff, who was an undersized marking junior forward, and has now become a gun onballer. I think he'll work is way into the midfield sooner rather than later. I'm a big fan of Plugga.

Yeah pretty good comparison, let's hope donuts can step up to that level. He's certainly a better kick than Rockliff

Loved his energy.

Needs to play a full game - no more subs vest for him.

Was ok against the hawks but u need the sub to get more than 6 possesions.

Timmy99 said:
Was ok against the hawks but u need the sub to get more than 6 possesions.

Agree. Am I the only one severely underwhelmed by this guy? Can't see what others do

Eric said:
Agree. Am I the only one severely underwhelmed by this guy? Can't see what others do
Yes. The kid can play. Just needs to be given the opportunity to.

Eric said:
Am I the only one severely underwhelmed by this guy?
Probably

I watched him at Coburg a few times last year as well and his progression from a slightly podgy and unfit recruit to where he finished by year end was impressive. My view is that he will be a good player for us but I would like to see him half forward with stints in the middle rather than halfback.

I'm not sure if remember this rightly, but I think Matt coming on meant that Vlas went into the middle for a period and we were more competitive - I'd be happy with move, leave Matt on the HB line and push Vlas into the midfield.

Sintiger said:
Probably

I watched him at Coburg a few times last year as well and his progression from a slightly podgy and unfit recruit to where he finished by year end was impressive. My view is that he will be a good player for us but I would like to see him half forward with stints in the middle rather than halfback.

This is Hardwick we're talking about here.

Ain't gonna happen.

I really like Madonna. I think he can play. Not a natural star but only a youngster. And I think he has a bit of glamour, just a bit. I hope he can keep a spot this year. Footballer.