Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Tygrys said:
Yes and they all played brilliantly (hence our wonderful result against Gold Coast) and have so much more improvement left in them. Personally I'm amazed that Hardwick didn't publicly name and shame McDonough along with Ellis and Conca. Automatic selections for life are Grigg, Edwards, Newman and you can throw in (Pet)*smile* for good measure. Enough said.
Um, McDonough got 11 possessions; Grigg 30, Edwards 18; Newnham 15 & Petterd 20. Maybe what you said wasn't enough. Those players are picked this week ahead of McDonough because they performed better than McDonough. Hopefully McDonough dominates in the 2s and forces his way back in soon. But no way was he dropped to give a game to any so called favourites. what a laughable idea.

Poor decision to drop him.

maverick said:
Poor decision to drop him.

Disagree. On last weeks performance he's not ready and was one of our poorer performers.

I reckon this kid's a fighter. He got a bit of a reality check despite doing reasonably well. He'll be back.

Why give only the week then drop him.

How bad does Vickery have to play to get dropped?

B2

Tygrys said:
Yes and they all played brilliantly (hence our wonderful result against Gold Coast) and have so much more improvement left in them. Personally I'm amazed that Hardwick didn't publicly name and shame McDonough along with Ellis and Conca. Automatic selections for life are Grigg, Edwards, Newman and you can throw in (Pet)*smile* for good measure. Enough said.

Now we've descended into petty name calling, this place is fast becoming a trolls paradise.

bullus_hit said:
Now we've descended into petty name calling, this place is fast becoming a trolls paradise.
Yes it is; but they provide lots of laughs with their silly inanities.

bullus_hit said:

And calling someone a troll isn't petty name calling? I have been contributor to PRE for a decade now and both myself and my wife are club members. Don't like my opinions, tough, I might be a troll but you sir are a hypocrite. Go Tigers

The Gordon , Lloyd farce has ended now in round 5 its time to end the McDonough farce
Its time to give Madonna a go and give him a number of games & he will show that hes a better option than Grigg the Ghost, Newman the Old, King the Cooked or SEdwards the Shank
End the Madonna farce and end it in round 5

btoz_01 said:
The Gordon , Lloyd farce has ended now in round 5 its time to end the McDonough farce
Its time to give Madonna a go and give him a number of games & he will show that hes a better option than Grigg the Ghost, Newman the Old, King the Cooked or SEdwards the Shank
End the Madonna farce and end it in round 5
I'm really surprised McDonough didn't get a few games before being dropped back to the VFL. Early in his tenure Hardwick did give young players a few games in a row, but he's gone away from that over the last couple of seasons. I think it's another indication of how scared he is to make a mistake.

CarnTheTiges said:
I'm really surprised McDonough didn't get a few games before being dropped back to the VFL. Early in his tenure Hardwick did give young players a few games in a row, but he's gone away from that over the last couple of seasons. I think it's another indication of how scared he is to make a mistake.

It's either he's scared to make a mistake or he's in a 'win now' mode, which mayb explains why the likes of Newman, Grigg, King, Edwards have been getting games. Agree with others, thought he was incredibly stiff to be dropped.

St Kevin said:
It's either he's scared to make a mistake or he's in a 'win now' mode, which mayb explains why the likes of Newman, Grigg, King, Edwards have been getting games. Agree with others, thought he was incredibly stiff to be dropped.
I really hope he hasn't adopted the win now philosophy with not much thought to the future. That was what Wallace did, and it never works, not for a side that it still trying to develop and get to where everyone aspires to be (the GF).

St Kevin said:
'win now' won't work with the 4 Players u have mentioned as all 4 are out of form & only 1 of them has been dropped thus far! surely McDonough has to play this week!

Personally, I'm still trying to figure how a a small forward, who kicked:

2011 - 14 goals 6 in 5 U18 Champs games
2012 - 17 goals 6 in 5 U18 Champs games
2013 - 10 goals 6 in limited forward VFL opportunities

is being immediately played as a defender, without even being given the opportunity to show himself as a failed forward at a higher level.

We must have a surfeit of small forwards at Tigerland!!!

I'd imagine they are trying to get him to work in his defensive side, but yes, it is annoying.

Phantom said:
Personally, I'm still trying to figure how a a small forward, who kicked:

2011 - 14 goals 6 in 5 U18 Champs games
2012 - 17 goals 6 in 5 U18 Champs games
2013 - 10 goals 6 in limited forward VFL opportunities

is being immediately played as a defender, without even being given the opportunity to show himself as a failed forward at a higher level.

We must have a surfeit of small forwards at Tigerland!!!

I honestly don't understand it either. Surely a player can improve defensively from any part of the ground these days.

Did Collingwood choose to play Jamie Elliott in a back pocket to develop his defensive skills?

Streak said:
Thought he was stiff to be dropped.

Indeed, he tried all night against Suns, grigg jogged around doing nothing, yet still in.