Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Lots of options down back , not many forward options , so I'd be putting the natural goal kicking forward he is, too that position, he may well surprise

CC TIGER said:
Lots of options down back , not many forward options , so I'd be putting the natural goal kicking forward he is, too that position, he may well surprise

Would give a better contest than vickers that's for sure.

Lots of options down back , not many forward options , so I'd be putting the natural goal kicking forward he is, too that position, he may well surprise"

Agree with the above too.

Batchelor Party said:
Might be throwing him in a bit at the deep end but I'm wondering if he should be the player to get the defensive role on Yarran. Seems to be one fo the few with the pace to go with him.
You took this thought straight from my mind. I'm with you here. I reckon he might have the pace as you say and is smart enough to corral Yarran and pressure him to make incorrect decisions.

did he play on Matera much? i saw him picking him up at times. if he did then he should get some credit for his defensive game.

hopefully he learns from one mistake. one centre bounce he charged at GAblett who was charging forward. Ablett sidestepped him, and was then able to give the ball to an open teammate (Stanley I think) who goaled from 50. you dont charge at Ablett.

Got a future does the lad but he was neither here nor there on the night. Played much better v Essendon in the praccy match which is what we must have prepared properly for by the looks of things - it was our grand final ::)

I need to watch his games again. I've missed the McDonut love class. Seems to scrub, rush his kicks each time I see him. Admittedly I was drunk on Saturday night prior and half watching at the pub. But even his game against pies in preseason didn't strike me like others.

Elmer said:
I need to watch his games again. I've missed the McDonut love class. Seems to scrub, rush his kicks each time I see him. Admittedly I was drunk on Saturday night prior and half watching at the pub. But even his game against pies in preseason didn't strike me like others.
Obviously still learning the pace n intensity of AFL, Elmer. No surprise he looked a bit rushed n scrubby when all his more experienced team mates were going to hell in a hand basket. From his few runs so far he seems well balanced, willing to mix in traffic, overlaps n supports, looks for correct options. He appears to be a composed youngster, yes the heat is going to come on the more he plays but, a large part of the game is about " senior " players providing the pathways and support onfield to allow the juniors time and room to find their feet, didn't happen on Sat.
Kid looks a natural footballer, no idea how far he will develop but he needs like all juniors a year or two n plenty of games to develop his raw talents. Kids been groomed from a podgy medium forward to a medium back so his thought processes have been turned around as well.
Got him in the positive basket for the time being, think he'll furnish into a handy player.

TigerMasochist said:
Obviously still learning the pace n intensity of AFL, Elmer. No surprise he looked a bit rushed n scrubby when all his more experienced team mates were going to hell in a hand basket. From his few runs so far he seems well balanced, willing to mix in traffic, overlaps n supports, looks for correct options. He appears to be a composed youngster, yes the heat is going to come on the more he plays but, a large part of the game is about " senior " players providing the pathways and support onfield to allow the juniors time and room to find their feet, didn't happen on Sat.
Kid looks a natural footballer, no idea how far he will develop but he needs like all juniors a year or two n plenty of games to develop his raw talents. Kids been groomed from a podgy medium forward to a medium back so his thought processes have been turned around as well.
Got him in the positive basket for the time being, think he'll furnish into a handy player.
Accept that he's raw and from what I've seen goes in and can get it. But a lot on here are talking about his class and balance etc. I just haven't seen it yet. Strikes me as a goer in the Matt Arnott mould. Anyway will pay close attention Thursday night live against the blues.

If Choco rates him the smartest footballer on our list then I'll back him in .

GEDS1 said:
Got a future does the lad but he was neither here nor there on the night. Played much better v Essendon in the praccy match which is what we must have prepared properly for by the looks of things - it was our grand final ::)

Didn't everyone?

Two games dropped twice , not a good way to boost the young bloke's confidence .I still think he will be one of our starting midfielder 's in the future .He has all the class and smart's to make it .

He isn't recycled, he hasn't been delisted from another club, he isn't one of Hardwicks favourites and he's a young player. Of course he'd get dropped.

Bill Haverchuck said:
:rofl

Yes it is disappointing but oh so predictable...

How could drop this bloke and Grigg, Edwards and Newman are in ?

shawry said:
They all played better last week than McDonough did. Makes sense to me.

Yes and they all played brilliantly (hence our wonderful result against Gold Coast) and have so much more improvement left in them. Personally I'm amazed that Hardwick didn't publicly name and shame McDonough along with Ellis and Conca. Automatic selections for life are Grigg, Edwards, Newman and you can throw in (Pet)*smile* for good measure. Enough said.

Dropping him is a disgrace. He showed more in the game against GC then players that have been around fir 5 years.
No wonder ours kids loose confidence

Carlscum would of pants him tomorrow night. I would still have dropped Foley, S.Edwards and Newman aswell.