Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Harry said:
Like this kid alot. Adds depth, pace and zip to our midfield.
seemed ok, but not really sure what position he could play. He's pretty small so have to have some special tricks.

evo said:
seemed ok, but not really sure what position he could play. He's pretty small so have to have some special tricks.

He's a forward that can go into the midfield. He can kick goals. Not sure why he's running off half back. Must be an education thing.

BrisTiger24 said:
He's a forward that can go into the midfield. He can kick goals. Not sure why he's running off half back. Must be an education thing.

Yeah, same reason Dusty and Lennon are I guess

BrisTiger24 said:

Thats definitrly a better option for him, but goal kicking small forward has suddenly becoming a crowded space at Tigerland.

I wish him all the best; I definitely like the way he goes about it. Just can't see where he fits in the grander scheme of things.

At least we are developing depth in most positions, which is long overdue.

evo said:
Thats definitrly a better option for him, but goal kicking small forward has suddenly becoming a crowded space at Tigerland.

I wish him all the best; I definitely like the way he goes about it. Just can't see where he fits in the grander scheme of things.

At least we are developing depth in most positions, which is long overdue.

All fair points but Kingy aint getting any younger and no-one's put their hand up as yet. One thing I'd like to see is his strength overhead, that's where I think he'd be struggling against the likes of Lloyd & Gordon.

shad said:
He was the most impressive of all the newbies in my opinion. Did a number of nice things yesterday.
I thought he looked better than Helbig and Arnot have, but not sure if that gets him a game.
Also ahead of McBean McIntosh although for different positions.
Possibly ranked 25-28 so on the fringe of being an emergency

bullus_hit said:
All fair points but Kingy aint getting any younger and no-one's put their hand up as yet. One thing I'd like to see is his strength overhead, that's where I think he'd be struggling against the likes of Lloyd & Gordon.
I ve been really impressed with Lloyd thus far. I'd have him ahead of Kingy for round 1 and probably Azza as well

evo said:

Half forward who kicks goals. This boy is the reason we let White walk. Will produce more than White did in year 7 by his year 3.

Super clever, wins clearances and just knows how to kick goals. Huge wrap for him, hope he is in round 1.

But the depth is getting impressive. Wouldn't mind if he played 12 games at VFL and averaged 25 touches and 7 clearances a week.

evo said:
I ve been really impressed with Lloyd thus far. I'd have him ahead of Kingy for round 1 and probably Azza as well

No way does Lloyd get named ahead of Kingy, still a long way to go for Sam, both on a fitness level and adding a bit of polish.

a fit king is one of the first picked

Harry said:
a fit king is one of the first picked

Yeah. After cotchin, reiwoldt, dusty, lids, tv, rance, chaplin, conca, ellis, vlastuin, edwards, houli, jackson, morris and newman, he'd definately be one of the first picked, when hes fit.

nah, he'd be ahead of Newman

tigergollywog said:
Yeah. After cotchin, reiwoldt, dusty, lids, tv, rance, chaplin, conca, ellis, vlastuin, edwards, houli, jackson, morris and newman, he'd definately be one of the first picked, when hes fit.

:hihi

SCOOP said:
Half forward who kicks goals. This boy is the reason we let White walk. Will produce more than White did in year 7 by his year 3.

Super clever, wins clearances and just knows how to kick goals. Huge wrap for him, hope he is in round 1.

But the depth is getting impressive. Wouldn't mind if he played 12 games at VFL and averaged 25 touches and 7 clearances a week.

Agreed mate. Even looks like white. If matty had spent the summer at a charcoal chicken instead of training with port.

Would it be sacrilege to suggest he could make a dazzling back pocket? He seems to be a natural footballer - and those types, rare as they are - can play anywhere.

Johnson, Wanganeen and Ackerly before them made this a creative position. Why not Madonna?

If he plays senior footy this year it will be off half back.

He has been training there all pre-season.

Smoking Aces said:

There's a long queue for one of those possies. Guess he won't be a regular this year.

In the NAB he has shown he has real potential but a NAB match is not the same as AFL. He still has the rabbit in the headlights look at times so half a season in VFL should move him forward potential wise then maybe another game at AFL

Smoking Aces said:

Maybe.

The way I read it is that just about all small/mediums get a stint at halfback. It doesn't mean that everyone is a halfback but that Dimma wants flexible running players who have the ability to swing into different roles and have also learned to be accountable.