Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

I think he can be a mid-forward Sin. SCOOP was a fan before he was drafted and his season last year sold me. Some great numbers in the VFL and excellent touches on AFL debut.

Sintiger said:
Somewhere deep in the bowels of this thread is a comment I made after seeing McDonough play couple of times for Coburg and seeing a few comments again made me think about it again.
There are many types of players who get to AFL. Some are athletes who eventually become good footballers, others are footballers who have to increase their athletic prowess. McDonough is in the 2nd category, he is a pure footballer. He is one of those guys who is where the ball is and has inbuilt footballing sense. He also kicks the ball like an arrow.
We just need to get him really fit and build his defensive side and I believe he will be one if these invaluable forwards who just bobs up at the right time and converts. A smaller version of Jack Gunston at Hawthorn.

Not sure with his athletic traits he makes it at his height as a forward. Not many do.

As you suggest Sin, he needs get mega fit & push through the middle to make it. He is certainly clean & skillful enough to make his mark in that area. He can then roll/rest forward & use his ball use to advantage.

But his tank will be the key. He'll need to become a 20+ touch player to earn his keep ILO. His increasing numbers last year suggest he could.

Going by the most recent comments in his interview on the RFC site it looks as if he'll initially be targeting the positions of King and Edwards in the side as a small forward who applies pressure. Be a good starting point if he can force one of those out this season from the 22.

Leysy Days said:
He'll need to become a 20+ touch player to earn his keep ILO. His increasing numbers last year suggest he could.
20+ plus possession player who is forward and pushing into the middle is elite. Not sure that is a realistic target tbh. I see him differently, a player who can play 80% forward , get 14-15 possessions but kicks goals because his use is so good.

A 15 possession forward kicking 40 goals a year would be fantastic for us. Cyril Rioli was AA with those sort of numbers.

Not saying McDonough will reach those levels btw but that sort of role is where I see him.

SCOOP said:
This boy is a big reason why Matt White was allowed to walk.

McDonough will match what White was producing on the ground much quicker than the eight year it took White to produce and we will get it at much cheaper rate. And McDonough has a much higher ceiling as a footballer.

The more I look at it, Port massively over payed for White.
Hits nail on head.

SCOOP said:

McDonough will match what White was producing on the ground much quicker than the eight year it took White to produce and we will get it at much cheaper rate. And McDonough has a much higher ceiling as a footballer.

Has Mcdonough got tha pace of White , and break the lines like he can ??

SCOOP said:

I hope you,re right but from my limited viewing of MM they're 2 different types of player.

tigertim said:
I hope you,re right but from my limited viewing of MM they're 2 different types of player.

Agree with this, the player most likely to replace White is Banfield, from a pace perspective I think they're on par.

They're 2 different types of player but they'd probably fill the same spot in the 22 as a small/med forward running through the midfield. While McDonough isn't as quick or fit he's a lot smarter and more skilled, which IMO makes up for it.

Stylo said:
They're 2 different types of player but they'd probably fill the same spot in the 22 as a small/med forward running through the midfield. While McDonough isn't as quick or fit he's a lot smarter and more skilled, which IMO makes up for it.

Still need a line breaker, just look at the impact guys like Jetta, Varcoe & Isaac Smith have had in Grand Finals. Crafty players like McDonough are also required but don't underestimate the speed factor.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think Banfield is that guy though, not sold. I'd rather lose the pace and add the extra smarts/skills than maintain the pace but gain nothing else.

Assuming we can only fit one of Banfield or McDonough into the 22 of course, which may not be the case

Stylo said:
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think Banfield is that guy though, not sold. I'd rather lose the pace and add the extra smarts/skills than maintain the pace but gain nothing else.

Assuming we can only fit one of Banfield or McDonough into the 22 of course, which may not be the case

Banfield's first two seasons would be up there with White's 2013, if we can get him delivering 1 goal a game and 3-4 tackles he should be able to hold his place. The acid test for Todd will be his DE, he has tendency to spray the ball both in general play and goal kicking. If he sorts this out then he will be another Blair Hartley special.

bullus_hit said:
Banfield's first two seasons would be up there with White's 2013, if we can get him delivering 1 goal a game and 3-4 tackles he should be able to hold his place. The acid test for Todd will be his DE, he has tendency to spray the ball both in general play and goal kicking. If he sorts this out then he will be another Blair Hartley special.

Fingers crossed.

Stylo said:

I think White was unfairly deemed as unskilled or not an intelligent footballer. yes it took him a few years to get to where we all hoped he would be but he was never given enough of a consistant run at it.

McD will need to be crafty as he is nowhere near a quick as Whitey.

But to be honest I have high hopes for McD. His preview tape from the draft for me screamed of a kid who had all the tools but was nowhere near fit enough (he was a fatty bom bah) to be a top level player. His video clips this preseason look positive, has dropped the weight and looks far more solid.

Will be pleasantly surprised if he shows anything this year

Won't be holding my breath though

Just watched the recent video on McDonough.

Others may have already said this but, with the longer hair, he sure looks a lot like Matty White.

bullus_hit said:

yeah, Banfield has talent. big problem with him was that he didnt get it enough. ironically, a bit like White in the regard,

Ghost of 29 said:
I think White was unfairly deemed as unskilled or not an intelligent footballer. yes it took him a few years to get to where we all hoped he would be but he was never given enough of a consistant run at it.

Don't think he was unskilled or unintelligent either. To me his biggest issue was he was a very straigh-lined player and therefore was often very blinkered in seeing the best option.

Very happy with what I saw of McDonough today. Small, but looks to make good decisions and clean hands and feet.

He did impress today. Showed good poise across half back.