Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

KnightersRevenge said:
Very happy with what I saw of McDonough today. Small, but looks to make good decisions and clean hands and feet.

So am I. We've got a good small foursome in Ellis Arnott miles McDonough

Played really well, not too far away from a senior berth based on today's form.

bullus_hit said:
Played really well, not too far away from a senior berth based on today's form.

Yep. Made great decisions and executed well by hand and BOTH feet.

His body shape has changed tremendously in 12 months. His first 3 steps are very good. Did not realize he had that acceleration and lateral movement. A bit like Shane Edwards, over 100m he is not the fastest in the team but zig zagging through 15m he could be elite. He may play a lot of games this year if he can eliminate a couple of those unforced errors. Looks very teachable as well.

Juffaricho said:
His body shape has changed tremendously in 12 months. His first 3 steps are very good. Did not realize he had that acceleration and lateral movement. A bit like Shane Edwards, over 100m he is not the fastest in the team but zig zagging through 15m he could be elite. He may play a lot of games this year if he can eliminate a couple of those unforced errors. Looks very teachable as well.

I thought of Shane Edwards too, very elusive and quick through traffic. Agree on the acceleration and movement, executes designs quickly by the looks. Thought he was a half forward? Lovely if he could roll through the middle.

Like this kid a lot, if maintains fitness will be starting 22 come end of season, has a bit of sidebottom about him.

Spoke with him Friday an I said to him that I reckoned he had grown since last year, he said yep about 1/2 a cm ;D

One horrible clanger centering the ball inside fifty on the backline, that Scumwood fortunately didn't get value out of. Apart from that he looks a very tidy n composed youngster, will be watched with interest as he develops.

First time I've had a really good look at him (I missed his senior game as I was overseas) and I really liked what I saw yesterday. Could a very good player for us in the future.

Phantom said:
Just watched the recent video on McDonough.

Others may have already said this but, with the longer hair, he sure looks a lot like Matty White.

Was thinking the same thing yesterday.

CarnTheTiges said:
I agree, but given that we'll probably fit Ivan, Jacko and Jack in as well, who goes out for McDonough?

Ivan won't be there but if the kid keeps it up he will demand a spot for round 1.

He was the most impressive of all the newbies in my opinion. Did a number of nice things yesterday.

CC TIGER said:
Like this kid a lot, if maintains fitness will be starting 22 come end of season, has a bit of sidebottom about him.
Good call. Big fan of the Donut.

Like this kid alot. Adds depth, pace and zip to our midfield.

CC TIGER said:
Spoke with him Friday an I said to him that I reckoned he had grown since last year, he said yep about 1/2 a cm ;D
Yeh but has he got taller? ;)

Tigers of Old said:
Still a few rough edges for mine. Not sure he'll play round 1 at this stage bis is improving.

Agreed.
It's great that he's being given the opportunity to run with the big boys in pre season comp, but it is showing up his deficiencies (naturally).
He is prone to star gaze, and stand back and leave it to others (failing to assist Astbury in Q3 a good example).
But these games will really help bring him on.
Elite kick and ample footy smarts, so plenty to work with.

17 said:
Agreed.
It's great that he's being given the opportunity to run with the big boys in pre season comp, but it is showing up his deficiencies (naturally).
He is prone to star gaze, and stand back and leave it to others (failing to assist Astbury in Q3 a good example).
But these games will really help bring him on.
Elite kick and ample footy smarts, so plenty to work with.
Not sure watching Astbury go about it is a good example of STAR gazing at all. ;D

I think he was pretty knackered when he failed to get over to help DA. Am sure it will be mentioned in the wash up via the coaches. But beside one major kicking clanger I was impressed with McD.