Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

I have seen him a couple of times at Coburg and am a fan but he looked overwhelmed to me today.

Showed a few glimpses but not sure this was the game to blood him

Thought it was a solid debut.

Some nice touches and creative handballs to set up a couple of goals early.

Just needs some muscle to hold his own in those marking contests. Is he ready to play a pressure final, maybe not, but I'd leave him in again next week.

Thought he spent too much time around the midfield contests.

He may have transitioned to the midfield rotating forward at Coburg but he needs to start his AFL career permanently on the forward flank as a lead up player and pressure player.

I saw him wandering up to contests in the backline and got a fair few of his kicks backwarsd of centre. Whether by design or otherwise not the right role.

Just seemed very rushed in his disposal and lacking poise. Big step up in level however and he will be better for the run. At least found the ball a few times.

i'd like him to stay in for another game now he's got that one under his belt.

spook said:
I thought there was plenty to like.

Agree. Attack on the ball was fierce. Didn't look out of place at all.

rosy23 said:
i'd like him to stay in for another game now he's got that one under his belt.

Agree. GWS is a great chance for him to play in a win and enjoy AFL football.

If we want to win the next to games then we must pick our best team. Currently he is clearly not at that level but with time and experience he could be a classy player for us. Send him back to the seconds for the rest of the year and see how he goes pre-season.

Liked his attitude, did a couple of nice things, seemed to know where to go in general but looked like he struggled with the pace of the game

bdr said:
Liked his attitude, did a couple of nice things, seemed to know where to go in general but looked like he struggled with the pace of the game

Can't blame the poor kid. 3/4'rs of the team looked the same after 1/4 time. :-X

I have real faith that this kid will become a very good player for us. He has beautiful foot skills and knows how to find the footy. If he can build his tank over pre-season he could be a real asset as that small half forward rotating in the midfield.

Smokey for Round 1.

Smoking Aces said:
I have real faith that this kid will become a very good player for us. He has beautiful foot skills and knows how to find the footy. If he can build his tank over pre-season he could be a real asset as that small half forward rotating in the midfield.

Smokey for Round 1.

I hope you are right. I have high hopes.

Smoking Aces said:

Smokey for Round 1.

He'll have some stiff competition but there's plenty to like.

This boy is a big reason why Matt White was allowed to walk.

McDonough will match what White was producing on the ground much quicker than the eight year it took White to produce and we will get it at much cheaper rate. And McDonough has a much higher ceiling as a footballer.

The more I look at it, Port massively over payed for White.

SCOOP said:
This boy is a big reason why Matt White was allowed to walk.

McDonough will match what White was producing on the ground much quicker than the eight year it took White to produce and we will get it at much cheaper rate. And McDonough has a much higher ceiling as a footballer.

The more I look at it, Port massively over payed massively for White.

Agreed, good call.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of this thread is a comment I made after seeing McDonough play couple of times for Coburg and seeing a few comments again made me think about it again.
There are many types of players who get to AFL. Some are athletes who eventually become good footballers, others are footballers who have to increase their athletic prowess. McDonough is in the 2nd category, he is a pure footballer. He is one of those guys who is where the ball is and has inbuilt footballing sense. He also kicks the ball like an arrow.
We just need to get him really fit and build his defensive side and I believe he will be one if these invaluable forwards who just bobs up at the right time and converts. A smaller version of Jack Gunston at Hawthorn.