Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Welcome Matthew Arnot

Ian4 said:
if true then why did FJ hesitate in selecting him? i was listening on SEN and my memory of it is that we took most of our alloted time to make our selection

On foxtel they were having a laugh. Maybe in shock he got there and working out who was shouting beers after we destroyed that draft? :hihi

Great type. Looks ready made from the short clips, whats the knock for those who have seen him? Testing results?

Like this more than the Maric option.

SCOOP said:
Is the right type we need. We need to take at least another three mids in the rookie draft.
Dont forget about McCarthy! Fingers crossed Port dont ruin it by taking him before we get the chance to.

Looks like a really good pick up this one. Probably should've taken more than one like him.

Gotta say his kicking to position was impeccable. I didn't see one target missed in the highlights and none were short kicks either. Wonder if he has a right foot though. On the surface looks like a great pickup. And again another player of strong build. I think we've worked out the trend for this year.

GoodOne said:
Gotta say his kicking to position was impeccable. I didn't see one target missed in the highlights and none were short kicks either. Wonder if he has a right foot though. On the surface looks like a great pickup. And again another player of strong build. I think we've worked out the trend for this year.

Wouldn't be much of a highlight if they showed the missed kicks. ;D

se7en said:
Wouldn't be much of a highlight if they showed the missed kicks. ;D

Seen plenty of highlights packages with kicks to opposition, bombs in the air, short danky kicks. Even under pressure he seemed to find the right options or squeeze kicks to his man between opposition players. Just thought it stood out that's all.

Smoking Aces said:
Off Big Footy from an Essendon/Port Melbourne supporter

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892218&page=2

You better get excited Tigers fans, you just picked up another 'Port Melbourne' gun (to go alone with Robbie Nahas)!

Matthew Arnot known to Borough supporters as 'Biscuit' is an Oakleigh Chargers player who played one game for Port this year as 23rd man.

... and for the kid this wasn't an ordinary game.

This was him playing in the undefeated Port Melbourne side.

It was roughly Port's 11th win in a row at that stage... and away against the three time reigning premier North Ballarat.

He was 'only' meant to have a bit role (like all TAC Cup players that play as 23rd man), but the Borough lost ex-AFL midfielder Adam Bentick and (this year's Grand Final BOG) tough-nut midfielder Toby Pinwall before half-time.

With Port up by just 2 goals and those quality players down, we supporters were nervous.

However, Gary Ayres rolled the dice, threw Biscuit (Arnot) in the middle... and the kid not only did the job, but starred! - we would end up winning by 10 goals (and beating the Roosters on their turf for the 1st time in 6 years!)

Again... that is against the 3 time reigning premier, playing in a team that would end up completing the season undefeated.

I'm calling it... congratulations Richmond... you found the hidden diamond in the draft

Cheers for posting that Smoking.
There's a moment at .49 seconds in his highlight clip on the RFC site where I just went wow, great 2nd efforts and loves the contact. Looks a solid kick too.
Matt White should be nervous.

Smoking Aces said:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892218&page=2

You better get excited Tigers fans, you just picked up another 'Port Melbourne' gun (to go alone with Robbie Nahas)!

Matthew Arnot known to Borough supporters as 'Biscuit' is an Oakleigh Chargers player who played one game for Port this year as 23rd man.

... and for the kid this wasn't an ordinary game.

This was him playing in the undefeated Port Melbourne side.

It was roughly Port's 11th win in a row at that stage... and away against the three time reigning premier North Ballarat.

He was 'only' meant to have a bit role (like all TAC Cup players that play as 23rd man), but the Borough lost ex-AFL midfielder Adam Bentick and (this year's Grand Final BOG) tough-nut midfielder Toby Pinwall before half-time.

With Port up by just 2 goals and those quality players down, we supporters were nervous.

However, Gary Ayres rolled the dice, threw Biscuit (Arnot) in the middle... and the kid not only did the job, but starred! - we would end up winning by 10 goals (and beating the Roosters on their turf for the 1st time in 6 years!)

Again... that is against the 3 time reigning premier, playing in a team that would end up completing the season undefeated.

I'm calling it... congratulations Richmond... you found the hidden diamond in the draft

There is a big different bewteen starring in one VFL game and being a top line AFL player.

Any pick this late is speculative. Particularly in this draft.

I wondered whether we've gone away from speculation on talent and towards speculation on effort?

All the commentary suggests this is a kid who will give it all he's got, and who really wants to succeed.

As opposed to a kid who has endless talent but may not have the will to do what's needed. (Former Player Troy Taylor? Former Player Mitch Morton?)

Seems like he's got some strong positives in the aggression and the kicking. We have a chance to help him learn where he is deficient and he sounds like the type who will work hard to improve.

Overall that seems pretty good. Go the Biscuit. Or maybe the Hardtack?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

Go Tiges.

Tigers of Old said:
Cheers for posting that Smoking.
There's a moment at .49 seconds in his highlight clip on the RFC site where I just went wow, great 2nd efforts and loves the contact. Looks a solid kick too.
Matt White should be nervous.
No worries TOO. Its good to hear the view of opposition supporters.

SAF said:
There is a big different bewteen starring in one VFL game and being a top line AFL player.
No doubt. But he influenced a game on his debut playing with one of the premier teams in VFL. Its got to say something about the kids ability.

Welcome to Tigerland Matthew.

I recon this kid was a great choice by the club at 55 and will become a fan favourite pretty quickly.

Actually, on only on highlights, (I have no knowledge at all of this boy) he reminds me of Josh Caddy.

The right type for what we need.

Smilodon said:
I wondered whether we've gone away from speculation on talent and towards speculation on effort?

All the commentary suggests this is a kid who will give it all he's got, and who really wants to succeed.

Can't help but think that this has been a massive shift in culture since the arrival of Hardwick.

A player who absolutely made the most of his raw talent and went onto become a great player.
That's one thing that often gets missed with these kids by outside observers, they've all got the talent to get a ticket to the big show but do they have the internal fortitude to improve beyond that.
After being burned on a few players taken recently it seems to be that's why we're now placing a heavy emphasis on the character testing.

Smoking Aces said:

Hope this guy is right. Certainly looks the type we need.

You can see how much work he's put into those guns already. The right genes probably help I spose.

SCOOP said:
Is the right type we need. We need to take at least another three mids in the rookie draft.
There's still plenty available e.g Waldhuter, Morris, but why ?

Welcome to the greatest club in the league, Matty, don't let the darksiders get you down