Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Welcome Matthew Arnot

Welcome Matt.

His highlight clip looks awesome, but he slipped to 55 in a supposed weak draft..why??

For me his positives - athletic, good skills, intensity, strong build, has played against men and done well (see post prior of his Port game)

Would have preferred a bit more height, but you can't have everything.

Well, there was speculation from some journos that we were going to pick up Addam Maric with 55, so was really happy with another selection that is seemingly from left-field.

Looks a solid unit already - imagine him in a couple of seasons :clap

Those guns might get some of the other boys pushing a few more weights!!

FJ mentioned on SEN that we have had an eye on him all season.Of all the kids looked at Arnot was at the top of the tree when it came to competativness[sp].

What sort of nick name is Biscuit ?

Going off some of his clips I would think 'Crackers' would be a little more apt.

:hihi

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
FJ mentioned on SEN that we have had an eye on him all season.Of all the kids looked at Arnot was at the top of the tree when it came to competativness[sp].

if true then why did FJ hesitate in selecting him? i was listening on SEN and my memory of it is that we took most of our alloted time to make our selection

Ian4 said:
if true then why did FJ hesitate in selecting him? i was listening on SEN and my memory of it is that we took most of our alloted time to make our selection
Was thinking the same thing.

Ian4 said:

perhaps there was another kid we really liked at the pick. I loved the ruckman, Downie, who went with the next pick

Is the right type we need. We need to take at least another three mids in the rookie draft.

Or perhaps they liked Maric and hadn't expected Arnot to get to 55? Discussions required...............

They didn't ask for extra time, so it could have been an even longer conversation, so they were reasonably close to deciding.

Maybe they were debating him slipping through to a rookie draft pick, and taking another player with 55, but decided it wasn't worth the risk? Maybe it was debating between maric and him?
Maybe they were thinking bout taking another young ruckman, but dimma said no.

Could be a hundred reasons, we'd just be stabbing in the dark if we tried to work out why.

Maybe they were checking directions to Kings Cross. Maybe they were swapping cheesecake recipes. Maybe they were discussing how *smile* they all are their jobs and drawing up resignations. But I doubt it.

Maybe they said to Maric that they would consider him if there was no-one else on the radar - who knows, we may find out in time that there was another player that they were tossing up with Arnot.

Happy to then pick up McCarthy PSD, rookie Maric if he impresses over the next few weeks, Contin seems to be giving himself every opportunity to be re-rookied, Heslin as international, Miller as a mature age rookie, Morris/Maric we've gotten via the trade and a handful of senior players that will probably play the year at Coburg pending injuries due to over-generous contracts.

I'm surprised they didn't go another quality mid, but it seems that Ellis can rotate through there as well as Arnot. We're gradually adding to the depth and making it difficult for players to be walk-up starts in the starting 22.

It will be exciting to see the NAB games with the extended benches just to see which young players are going to push for round 1 next year.

Went to school with Matty the last six years, one thing I can guarantee is that he will work his heart out to get the best out of himself - works unbelievably hard on all facets of his game. All the best Matty!

Great to see we are recruiting lovely kicks.

Seriously JB? Tell us about him...

"Matt always gets the best out of himself and is a really good kid. A bit like Mitch Wooffindin, there are a few things that may hold him back from being able to make the jump to the next level but he has plenty of good attributes as an inside midfielder." Chargers coach mark smart