Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

bullus_hit said:
I just hope we see more than 5 kicks & 10 hand passes per match. This was always my gripe with Thomas at Port, he never really lifted his game to the next level. If he ups the ante and has a mini renaissance then all credit goes out to Hartley, if not then bring in Miles ASAP.
Yep agree. This was noticeable in the Collingwood match. He got first use of the ball but always seemed to look for the handball.

bullus_hit said:
I just hope we see more than 5 kicks & 10 hand passes per match. This was always my gripe with Thomas at Port, he never really lifted his game to the next level. If he ups the ante and has a mini renaissance then all credit goes out to Hartley, if not then bring in Miles ASAP.
If he's working deep in traffic n getting 5 kicks 10 hand passes to go with his eight to ten tackles I reckon he'll easily be earning his keep. Inside, under n distributing plus doing the grunt work stopping or slowing the opposition, what the hell more do we want for not much.

TigerMasochist said:
If he's working deep in traffic n getting 5 kicks 10 hand passes to go with his eight to ten tackles I reckon he'll easily be earning his keep. Inside, under n distributing plus doing the grunt work stopping or slowing the opposition, what the hell more do we want for not much.

Spot on.

Saw him up close on Friday.

Hits hard and couldn't believe the size of him.

llike a mature age Arnott, i'm fine with him doing the in & under work, saves Cotchin getting smashed at every contest. think, this guy can get it out to Cotchin in space.....

don't have a problem with thomas but thought miles should have got the second spot. you can never have too many hard at it extractors. would have been good to see hampson, cotchin, thomas and miles at a few centre bounces.

Like the way he singled out Grundy and got a few free kicks/50mp from it.

Cant teach that sort of work

His contested work inside stoppages and decision making in traffic is top notch. So far ahead of Jackson in releasing the ball quickly to the right option to allow the ball to move forward. Of course doesn't have Jackson's ability to push forward and kick goals which Jackson developed last year and his skills are a bit wonky. He will do well though IMO and having this type of player will help a Cotchin show his magic more in space.

Strong mature bodied player who can take a hit and deliver one. Miles will get his opportunity, but early on Thomas is the right guy to put in the middle. We've wanted a hard inside mid and that's what Thomas will provide.

Matt Thomas is for these couple of years. Miles is for the next few years.

CarnTheTiges said:
Strong mature bodied player who can take a hit and deliver one. Miles will get his opportunity, but early on Thomas is the right guy to put in the middle. We've wanted a hard inside mid and that's what Thomas will provide.

this.

good list balance. we need the seasoned journeyman's body and cunning in the middle. Miles wont go anywhere.

im loving everything our club is doing at present. I think thats why the Word Association Thread has an unprecedented following.

TigerMasochist said:

Let's hope so, his career stats are eerily similar to Lonergan so I hope we have a much better plug & play rookie. I loved the Miles pick because I feel the sky's the limit as far as output is concerned. In any case, good luck to Thomas, I don't think we could have asked for anymore in the preseason. Time to impress on the big stage now.

bullus_hit said:
Let's hope so, his career stats are eerily similar to Lonergan so I hope we have a much better plug & play rookie. I loved the Miles pick because I feel the sky's the limit as far as output is concerned. In any case, good luck to Thomas, I don't think we could have asked for anymore in the preseason. Time to impress on the big stage now.

He is a like for like of Dan Jackson. Averages a few less kicks but that's not a bad thing when talking of these players. Can't wait for him to suit up for the tigers.

I'd prefer Cotch head to head with Ablett and have Thomas tag O'Maera or Prestia.

Have him crunch them anytime they even look at the ball.

Good first game
Tried hard all night gave it 120% one of our best